Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2017 Record Breaking Heat Wave

Hoosier

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Just to put some of northern Michigan in reference here, it was 90/65 at SSM today average was 64/45. This ended up being +24 on the day. Traverse City 95/68 average 67/47 for a +25 day. NWS Marquette 88/67 average 63/43 for a +25 day.

That is insane. The opposite of that would be 38/18 for Marquette. I feel like with global warming, that is virtually impossible to get on in mid/late September. 

49 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

84 at ORD as of 9:51.

Only running 1 behind the past few days for now.

The 12z runs seem a fraction of a degree warmer aloft tomorrow than what was being advertised yesterday.  LOT bumped tomorrow to 91.  I'm not sure and still think it could be a bit of a nailbiter but we'll see. Where today ends up (if it exceeds expectations) could influence my thinking about tomorrow.

My anomalies here are likely even more absurd. So far (and its only 1:30 pm), I'm at 31ºC with a humidex of 38!! That's a record for sure. Phenomenal heatwave that is way longer than I would normally think in late Sept. Latest so hot humidex and temp on top of that.

Toronto reached 33.1ºC yesterday IIRC - their hottest temperature of the year so far (!!!) and beat the old record by 2-3ºC. Also the hot spot in all of Canada. Just incredible and a Top 2 event for 2017 locally.

14 hours ago, Stebo said:

As for tomorrow locally, I think we will inch upward a bit from today's 91, wouldn't be shocked at 92-93.

That call may have been a bit too ambitious. The temps aloft have cooled down slightly and there's a slightly strong wind off the water today (while winds were calm yesterday).

That said, there's still a little bit of time left. DTW did jump 3 degrees between 2pm and 3pm yesterday.

34 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

ORD has maxed at 90 so far.

Given the struggle today just to make it to 90, I'm thinking tomorrow fails to hit 90 with even cooler UA temps and some clouds.

Extent of clouds definitely matters tomorrow, unlike these other days when you could get away with some and still get to 90+.  

Would think there would be a bump to 91 or 92 for today's high.  If not, then 90 would have almost no chance tomorrow. 

Archived