SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2017 Record Breaking Heat Wave

Hoosier

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like ORD briefly got to 95.  Delayed but not denied after what happened yesterday.

Very briefly intra hour.

I'm surprised today ended up warmer than the past 2 days. Both Thur/Fri had warmer UA temps. I know Thursday had the cloud issues, but yesterday didn't.

Leads me to believe 90+ is a lock tomorrow, and Monday might even hit 90. Even with continued cooling of UA temps each day.

53 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Very briefly intra hour.

I'm surprised today ended up warmer than the past 2 days. Both Thur/Fri had warmer UA temps. I know Thursday had the cloud issues, but yesterday didn't.

Leads me to believe 90+ is a lock tomorrow, and Monday might even hit 90. Even with continued cooling of UA temps each day.

Higher mixing heights after several consecutive days of warm temps and dry weather.

16 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Very briefly intra hour.

I know I wouldn't have bet on 95 today.  

Each day without rain is another day to dry the ground, so yeah, I wouldn't have high confidence in Monday failing to reach 90. Monday will also have a decent starting point (70ish).  

18 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

87 in the Soo is crazy but I gotta go with 95 in Traverse City as the shock value. That's crazy. DTWs hottest temp of the year was 92 on June 12-13. It's weird to see the Lower peninsula enveloped in 90s while the far East side, including the Detroit heat island, stayed upper 80s.

Some of those places,, especially Traverse City, get heated up even more by downsloping if the wind is from the south...like it has been.

My area heats up fast when the wind is from the East and downslopes a bit.

It seems like the past couple of years that the eastern part of the state has been cooler and snowier in general when compared to West Michigan and its averages.

The high was indeed 95 today at ORD, and as mentioned it broke the previous record for the date of 91 (1937).

That makes today the 2nd warmest day this late in a year on record, only beat by the mentioned 99 on 9/29/1953.

Today also ties 6/12 for the warmest day of the year, making it the latest warmest day of the year on record.

MDW also hit 95.

The places that hit 95 today (ORD, MDW, GRR, maybe others) came within 2 degrees of the hottest temperature in the country today.  Pretty impressive stuff.

I would think the hotter spots in the subforum again tomorrow could be within a couple degrees of the national high.

Archived