Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2017 Record Breaking Heat Wave

Hoosier

5 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

wow still 90+  ORD.    Did they  move the asos  on to asphalt.

Great call hoosier. Hard not to take the Under 95 if it was a life or death call.  Also hard to bet against, Hoosier.   Either way fun day tracking it,

A bit more pedestrian figures in SE Wisconsin, eh (already back in the 70s)?  I think Kenosha may have hit 90F today, but they're probably the only city in the state to do so.  Of course Madison yesterday was pretty toasty.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wisconsinwx said:

A bit more pedestrian figures in SE Wisconsin, eh (already back in the 70s)?  I think Kenosha may have hit 90F today, but they're probably the only city in the state to do so.  Of course Madison yesterday was pretty toasty.

yeah 70's and a few hrs of 80's  each day AWT to start. meat and taters of our heat coming up yet.   airport will torch in the AM  the next 3 days. Kenosha was 92 at one point.  Another hot box site.

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

If we can make it to at least Sunday with 90+ temps I would agree...If not, I'd give it to Feb.

Sunday-Tuesday is more iffy for 90 though, but it should stay in the upper 80's though.

When's the last Chicago heatwave this late in the warm season?  If it's never happened this late, I'd say it at least equals the February warmth.

1 minute ago, UMB WX said:

yeah 70's  and  and a few hrs of 80's AWT to start. meat and taters of our heat coming up yet.   airport will torch in the AM  the next 3 days. Kenosha was 92 at one point.  Another hot box site.

You're right, which is why when that UHI heats up, I go by Timmerman's readings.  A classic sign of the Milwaukee airport UHI at work is the fact that it shines late in heat waves (warmer starts due to UHI helping this).

47 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

wow still 90+  ORD.    Did they  move the asos  on to asphalt.

Great call hoosier. Hard not to take the Under 95 if it was a life or death call.  Also hard to bet against, Hoosier.   Either way fun day tracking it,

Yeah it was a good call.  I was a bit skeptical last night but never said anything lol.

93 with dew point of 70 at Saginaw this afternoon. Isn't that about 18 degrees too high in both categories?

Upcoming daytime highs forecast for interior Upper Peninsula near Marquette: Isn't this about 25 degrees warmer than most of July for the Upper Peninsula?

Friday

A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11am. Areas of fog before 1pm. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 86. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Sunday

Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.

59 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Several sites in S. WI were 90+ today.

Just Kenosha, Boscobel and Burlington (which has serious temperature issues compared to nearby observation sites and as part of their natural climate being located in a valley) out of the ones that record daily highs, lows, precip, etc.  If there are any other observation sites that hit 90F or so for an hour, then good for them, but cloud cover and in some cases a lake breeze kept the record breaking heat at bay except for Kenosha.

Just Kenosha, Boscobel and Burlington (which has serious temperature issues compared to nearby observation sites and as part of their natural climate being located in a valley) out of the ones that record daily highs, lows, precip, etc.  If there are any other observation sites that hit 90F or so for an hour, then good for them, but cloud cover and in some cases a lake breeze kept the record breaking heat at bay except for Kenosha.

You forgot JVL.

Thanks for agreeing with me though.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Music to my ears right there

According to http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KDAY.html, guess again!  Temps actually overperformed enough just before the stray storms hit and even topped out at 90 for the second time this year, previously on June 12th. The earliest last 90 on record is finally SAFE!

CVG got 89'd, though. :lol:

1 minute ago, Spartman said:

According to http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KDAY.html, guess again!  Temps actually overperformed enough just before the stray storms hit and even topped out at 90 for the second time this year, previously on June 12th. The earliest last 90 on record is finally SAFE!

Party time!!

7 minutes ago, Spartman said:

:tomato::popcorn::pepsi::icecream::clap:

I guess I'll go 94 at ORD tomorrow.  Was tempted to pick 95, and part of me is anticipating them coming in with that just to mess up my call by a degree again.  

Will have to watch the lake breeze, but it should be similar to today in that it doesn't quite make it.  

My odds for various high temps:

93:  20%

94:  35%

95:  30%

96:  10%

anything else:  5%

8 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

we might not be notching 90's but this night time warmth is off the charts impressive and enjoyable.  windows wide open to the the sounds of darkness  and a choir of frogs and rains sucks singing me the best songs about heat.

Still 85 at Midway.  Brutal UHI.  I'm not exactly rural and it's like 10 degrees cooler.

UHI is a huge pet peeve of mine.  Not worth diverting the thread...but there is something wrong when humans can alter their environment so much that temperatures can vary by 15+ degrees in two similar locations with the same airmass.  You most often see this in late season heatwaves (like now), or sunny late fall days (when temps drop like a rock in rural areas but stay up in urban areas due to residual warmth from the sunlight), or of course winter days with snow cover.

Anyway...I was shocked at how warm it got at ORD yesterday.  It was partly/mostly cloudy nearly all day, yet still hit 94...on September 21 no less.  The only explanation I can think of is "left-over" UHI (warm start - low temp of 72), combined with mixing in the afternoon that resulted in lower dews around 60.  Dry ground too?  Winds never exceeded 10 mph...and you'd have thought that strong S/SW winds would be needed to create such warm temps.

If the mixing occurs again today and skies remain mostly sunny as they are now...then, despite slightly lower temps aloft, you'd have to think ORD will hit 95 today.  Time will tell.

Archived