Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2017 Record Breaking Heat Wave

Hoosier

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

This truly is an anomalous warm stretch we're in. Might even be more anomalous than the torch in Feb 2017.

Impressive for sure.  I was thinking about February yesterday.  My gut would be to give that one the edge but I'd have to go back and look at it.

15 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

If we can make it to at least Sunday with 90+ temps I would agree...If not, I'd give it to Feb.

Sunday-Tuesday is more iffy for 90 though, but it should stay in the upper 80's though.

I guess there's different ways of evaluating. February broke the daily high temp record in Chicago on 5 out of 6 days.  No matter what, it's a very unusual warm stretch.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

Heat advisory for Minneapolis area tomorrow.  I wonder if it fits in their criteria or the late season was a factor.

...Abnormally hot conditions expected on Friday for the Twin
Cities Metro area...

.Hot and humid air will yield maximum heat index values from 95 to
100 degrees across the Twin Cities metro area on Friday afternoon.
The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will
combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are
possible, especially for those who are active outdoors.

I will probably throw out a guess later for tomorrow's high at ORD.  Fairly predictable as long as there's not a lot of clouds so it should be a tie or within a degree or so of today's high of 94.  How much the clouds took off the temps today is questionable... maybe a slight amount but probably not more than 1 degree or 2 at most.  Tomorrow should have a similar starting point and perhaps a touch cooler aloft as was mentioned earlier.  If tomorrow has even less clouds early on, then there could be a situation where's it like 86 or 87 already at 10 am and it looks like it's off to the races toward the upper 90s, but then the rate of warming backs off more than usual. But if you're at, say, 94 for a couple hourly obs, it's tempting to try to sneak a 95 in there at some point, even though tomorrow has some potentially competing factors as far as trying to outperform today.

5 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Clouds kept our temps in check that today we held steady at 92. 90’s in forecast now through Monday. Very impressive late season heatwave 

Clouds kept it in check at 92 in late September.  There's just something kinda crazy about that lol

Weird thing about this experience is that sunset isn't that far off by the time I'm home.  Not a lot of time to enjoy outdoors in daylight.

Archived