Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2017 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I ain't seeing it...near 60 today and tomorrow. (I'm embarrassed to put up lights) Then 50's next week. Things (colder) seem to keep getting put off. Won't reach the avg high for the next 10+ days and not even a sign of a flurry....  

According to Wes Junker and DT, you may be glad you put them up this week.

I'm so glad Ryan Maue has left Wxbell. His Euro graphics and maps are all free, including snow maps, at wx.graphics. As Ralph alluded to, the 12z euro has accumulating snow day 9-10 along the coast. Looking forward to the upcoming pattern change in December, just hope its not cold and dry with little precip.

14 minutes ago, Bluescat1 said:

According to Wes Junker and DT, you may be glad you put them up this week.

For what reason? I love putting them when it's cold/windy/cloudy....and if I just get flurries in the process is a bonus. Sunny and 60 certainly doesn't scream, Merry Christmas! But I hope things change like most of us on this forum/board....

6 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

For what reason? I love putting them when it's cold/windy/cloudy....and if I just get flurries in the process is a bonus. Sunny and 60 certainly doesn't scream, Merry Christmas! But I hope things change like most of this forum/board....

And if something like this occurs against the Raiders on Christmas Day, you would be in hog heaven! :lmao:

snowbowl.gif

41 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

And if something like this occurs against the Raiders on Christmas Day, you would be in hog heaven! :lmao:

snowbowl.gif

That game was nuts...out of no where a snowstorm! I loved playing football in the snow in my younger years. Even now I'll have a catch in the snow but no full contact...screw that. That's asking for an injury....

And here we go: http://tinyurl.com/y92e2pyz

9 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

That game was nuts...out of no where a snowstorm! I loved playing football in the snow in my younger years. Even now I'll have a catch in the snow but no full contact...screw that. That's asking for an injury....

And here we go: http://tinyurl.com/y92e2pyz

I remember watching that game.  Couldn't even see the yard lines... And IIRC, that wasn't even forecast but it made football fan (not just Eagles fans) history and absolved us from the 2010 "blizzard" postponement debacle (where IIRC the snow hadn't really started at game time and the worst was overnight).  :lol:

6 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Just came back from a walk and while out heard quacking galore in the distance then sure enough geese flying in the "arrow" formation. Don't remember geese flying at night like this? (or I never paid attention?) With decent moonlight it was pretty cool seeing them (but barely) May be a good sign??

Most migrating birds fly day and night, especially if they have a long way to go to get to their wintering ground and they can ride a jet. I have had hummingbirds hang around in September until a Low moves off the coast or a nor'easter gets going... and away they go to ride the flow out of the NE to the SW... There have been articles about radar picking up mass bird (or even insect) migrations at night. Thing is about those geese (Canada geese?), they are in our area year-round so you may have seen some coming from far north/Canada headed to a wintering area south of here.

Just came back from a walk and while out heard quacking galore in the distance then sure enough geese flying in the "arrow" formation. Don't remember geese flying at night like this? (or I never paid attention?) With decent moonlight it was pretty cool seeing them (but barely) May be a good sign??

Past few years Ive literally had dozens in my yard still feeding away especially around evening thru New Year at least. They have been non existent this year since around Halloween. The last year it has been this quiet was 13-14 Im guessing. Maybe the early cold in Nov drove them out? Unless they have access to the recent EPS runs :-)

18 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
8 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Past few years Ive literally had dozens in my yard still feeding away especially around evening thru New Year at least. They have been non existent this year since around Halloween. The last year it has been this quiet was 13-14 Im guessing. Maybe the early cold in Nov drove them out? Unless they have access to the recent EPS runs :-)

If you go down to either of the river drives along the Schuylkill in Philly, you'll find them (they tend to consolidate near bodies of water in general) - there's a pond in Wyndmoor not far from me where some will hang out.  I call 'em "lawnmowers" because they spend most of the day eating the grass.  We are getting more and more wintering populations of birds here including robins, where we grew up learning they "migrated" and were a "sign of spring" when they supposedly "returned", yet a whole pile tend to hang around all winter here too.

12z Euro certainly a great look with that day 10 fantasy storm. Can it happen? For sure. The pattern looks ripe heading into mid-December with the huge west coast ridge and trough east of the Rockies. The look on the models is certainly special no matter what winter month it may be. I don't expect over 10 inches because it would go against climatology, but a nice 2-4 or 4-6 event would be great to hopefully kick the winter into high gear. The best part is as the pattern change closes in, the models have begun to throw fantasy storms out in the mid to long range. I'd love to go 1 for 3 or 1 for 4 in this pattern. Its better than having one shot and swinging and missing. One problem I hope we don't see is suppression of the storms, forcing them to miss south. That would be the ultimate Lucy moment.

Some real deal cold in December is so overdue. Haven't seen my first flake expect more than a flake with that pattern. It's been so dry even the lake belts have received <10% normal snow. Expectations are reasonably set with the trough axis far enough west we shouldn't(famous last words) get skunked.

Op guidance continues to toss out digital snow threats starting with the day 7ish wave seen on the CMC (most aggressive?), Euro, and GFS. Several chances thereafter thru mid-month as well.....but one threat at a time. Front rolls thru next Wednesday with a possible wave forming along the trailing cold front. Not a favored setup as we will be relying on cold air seeping in fast enough post-frontal passage to cool down the BL as the potential wave slides by to our South. I like the possibilities....3 or 4 chances in the LR. Could we be shutout in this pattern? Sure, anything is possible. Though I'd rather have several chances than hanging all hope on one lone threat.

I would honestly be shocked if we get completely shut out in this upcoming pattern. While it is likely we don't see a SECS or even a WSW criteria event, I really just don't see how we would escape this pattern without seeing our first accumulating snowfall event. I could see us getting multiple 1-3/2-4" type deals in this set up. Very exciting times ahead. We should be in threat tracking mode come Sunday night. The pattern reload this week may actually have been a benefit as opposed to the novemeber pattern staying locked in place. Trough is in looking to set up in a much better location and all the LR ensembles show it having staying power. Looking like we will have a very wintry Christmas season ahead. Complete 180 from last year.

Archived