SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2017 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low pressure is down to 980mb at Sault Ste Marie. That's quite low for any time of year.

Northwest Ohio got around 0.5".  A couple of days ago, I was sure this storm would provide 1.25" or more for this area, but the rain concentrated more on Michigan. There were some flood watches in Michigan yesterday. I had mentioned that the WPC graphics said over 2.5" for Detroit, but obviously these sorts of rain amounts were farther west and north in Michigan.

On 10/21/2017 at 0:52 PM, Hoosier said:

I was looking at the CFS for November, and talk about an enormous flip from just 2 days ago.  Weird to see it shift that drastically that fast.  Of course this is little more than entertainment value at this point as the end of month runs are the ones to pay more attention to, as has often been mentioned.

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201711.thumb.gif.1bf88672b44cbc8ba88894e80e16fd88.gif

And back to the blue we go. 

It'll be interesting to see where things trend as we get closer to the end of the month. 

summaryCFSv2.NaT2m.201711.gif

On 10/22/2017 at 3:30 AM, Harry said:

Record watch!

Latest euro showing another 5 inches of rain for this area which would help break some monthly records including the October record ( 9.99 ) and monthly record ( 12" Sept 2008 ) for any month!

KBTL currently sitting at 8.24" for the month!

Incredibly September was the driest September ever with just 0.41! The old record was 0.56 back in 1956!

Broke the October record, at 10.36" for the month

Other October numbers:

Traverse City: 5.91"

Jackson: 6.31"

Houghton Lake 6.57"

Lansing: 8.20"

Muskegon: 8.31"

Grand Rapids: 9.10"

Holland: 9.37"

K-zoo: 11.73"

28 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Broke the October record, at 10.36" for the month

Other October numbers:

Traverse City: 5.91"

Jackson: 6.31"

Houghton Lake 6.57"

Lansing: 8.20"

Muskegon: 8.31"

Grand Rapids: 9.10"

Holland: 9.37"

K-zoo: 11.73"

Incredible stuff and it is still raining..

Storm total is up to 2.53" as of 7:55pm obs and monthly up to 10.78"!

Need another 1.22" for the all time monthly record for any month! Current holder is September 2008 with a foot of rain. Interestingly August 2008 was one of the driest as well ( 2nd driest i do believe ) much like this past September.

About 10 inches of rain for my location so far this October...with days of showers/lake effect through to Halloween! West Michiganders have quickly gone from "everything is dying...we SO need rain" to "Pllllleeease stop raining already!" It has been raining for 60 consecutive hours!

Nice video, Bo. Most people do not realize the fury of our Great Lakes. I have witnessed winds and waves on our Lake Michigan that easily compare to those found in tropical storms/hurricanes. I look forward to seeing some snow pics from you this week! :)

For those looking for great fall foliage...I was visiting family in Tennessee this past weekend, and on the way home, the best colors were in Kentucky between Bowling Green and Louisville.

10 hours ago, Chinook said:

Low pressure is down to 980mb at Sault Ste Marie. That's quite low for any time of year.

Northwest Ohio got around 0.5".  A couple of days ago, I was sure this storm would provide 1.25" or more for this area, but the rain concentrated more on Michigan. There were some flood watches in Michigan yesterday. I had mentioned that the WPC graphics said over 2.5" for Detroit, but obviously these sorts of rain amounts were farther west and north in Michigan.

About 30 miles north of Munising in Lake Superior, radar estimated 7 to 10 inches of rain. It was absolutely coming down like crazy around 9 am. Lake enhanced rain.

5 minutes ago, blackrock said:

About 10 inches of rain for my location so far this October...with days of showers/lake effect through to Halloween! West Michiganders have quickly gone from "everything is dying...we SO need rain" to "Pllllleeease stop raining already!" It has been raining for 60 consecutive hours!

Nice video, Bo. Most people do not realize the fury of our Great Lakes. I have witnessed winds and waves on our Lake Michigan that easily compare to those found in tropical storms/hurricanes. I look forward to seeing some snow pics from you this week! :)

For those looking for great fall foliage...I was visiting family in Tennessee this past weekend, and on the way home, the best colors were in Kentucky between Bowling Green and Louisville.

I don't plan to live in Howell for good.... I'd really like to move near Lake Michigan in the next 15 years.

1 minute ago, Jonger said:

I don't plan to live in Howell for good.... I'd really like to move near Lake Michigan in the next 15 years.

It's a beautiful place to live. Each season is so unique here. Spring arrives here very late though because of the lake keeping it much cooler into May. (That's ok for me though, as Spring is my least favorite season.) Summers are beautifully sunny, but can be veeery dry because of the lake influence on stabilizing the atmosphere (less thunderstorms). Every summer though, we get a couple of derechos that slam the lakeshore and usually some locale has great damage because of 80 to 100 mph winds. Fall is beautiful here because of the variety of trees, and the lake prolongs the fall color show because frosts don't usually come early enough to crisp the leaves up. Fall is by far my favorite season here. In winter, the Lake Michigan coastline is a MUST SEE. The "glaciers" that form on it are incredible...and they are different EVERY year because of different wave patterns/winds/thaws. If you love a unique climate and lots of state parks/natural resources, this is a great place to live.

Unfortunately, the secret is out...and as people come here from other places, they fall in love. It is getting built up way too quickly for my likes. I live between Grand Haven and Muskegon, and Suburban Sprawl is getting out of control. Sadly, this may be a big reason I move away in the years to come. I love nature, not malls and huge housing developments.

Snowed like heck all afternoon and into the night, but with the very warm ground, 2" rain, and temps hovering just above freezing, snow had trouble sticking until around dark, and even then it half-heartedly stuck... 2" of frozen snow was on my car tho.  Anyway, many precip and snow chances then next week to 10 days.

IMG_3370.thumb.JPG.101d43ea0e66550a25fce63deeb8ce66.JPG

IMG_3365.thumb.JPG.1062b623a47daa07cfcbf6dae382a819.JPG

Archived