Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
October 2017 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Stebo said:

I would look into adding insulation, you shouldn't be leaking heat out of your house like that.

It's a 100 yr old house so I may add insulation but it's not a tip priority. I love the house, older houses have more charm than newer ones imo, but certain odds and ends need fixing up. The biggest problem this week was I left the windows open too long and once I closed them it was already in the mid 60s.

Nice fall system on tap for tomorrow morning/afternoon. Could be looking at some gusts in the 40-45kt range, and with a majority of leaves still on the trees we might be looking at a few power outages. 

Love a good fall wind storm, one of my favourite weather events. Seeing the leaves blow off the trees is like watching the seasons change right before your eyes. 

Been a very dark day with a thick overcast along with passing rain/storms.  Picked up 1.22" so far.  Temps languishing in the mid 60s due to all the clouds/precip, but the dews are in the mid 60s as well.

On the northern edge of the enhanced severe, but the effective front is being held way south of here.  Not expecting anything severe, but more heavy downpours look likely.

St Louis seems to always get heat.

Dead center due north of the gulf, and below the invisible boundary that is I-80, STL often gets almost Houston like weather. Growing up there, I remember many 70’s and 80’s in February, whereas up here in N IL it’s something to cherish. I used to miss that climo. Being up here 15 years I’ve adjusted and changed and now can’t stand the STL climo mostly, would miss this climo if I had to go someplace warmer. The colder and snowier the better. I learned to enjoy snow shoeing, XC skiing, fat biking, and downhill skiing (Chestnut mountain, Lake Geneva Mountain, Cascade Mtn in WI, etc) and now I pray for an early and long winter. I will say that cold and no snow sucks the worst of all, for me anyway.

Went mtn biking at Rock Cut State Park this morning, left my phone in the truck as I just got the new cellular Apple Watch, and realized while on the trails I don’t have a radar app on the watch. Heard thunder and rode like hell back to the truck, got rained on just as I hit the parking lot. Picked up about .35” this morning in rural Roscoe, IL and now raining like hell again, would guess .6” so far with intermittent thunder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

48 minutes ago, krfd said:

Dead center due north of the gulf, and below the invisible boundary that is I-80, STL often gets almost Houston like weather. Growing up there, I remember many 70’s and 80’s in February, whereas up here in N IL it’s something to cherish. I used to miss that climo. Being up here 15 years I’ve adjusted and changed and now can’t stand the STL climo mostly, would miss this climo if I had to go someplace warmer. The colder and snowier the better. I learned to enjoy snow shoeing, XC skiing, fat biking, and downhill skiing (Chestnut mountain, Lake Geneva Mountain, Cascade Mtn in WI, etc) and now I pray for an early and long winter. I will say that cold and no snow sucks the worst of all, for me anyway.

I couldn't live south of Ann Arbor, MI.

I can observe the dropoff in snowcover every winter like clockwork.

In fact, I really wish I lived further north than where I am now. I'm anchored to the area.

49 minutes ago, krfd said:

Went mtn biking at Rock Cut State Park this morning, left my phone in the truck as I just got the new cellular Apple Watch, and realized while on the trails I don’t have a radar app on the watch. Heard thunder and rode like hell back to the truck, got rained on just as I hit the parking lot. Picked up about .35” this morning in rural Roscoe, IL and now raining like hell again, would guess .6” so far with intermittent thunder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The radar app on my Samsung G3 is amazing. It's animated and very fast loading. High resolution too.

Archived