Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2017 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Can't get enough of the beautiful weather.  Temps the past few days have been seasonal with highs in the mid-50's and lows around 30. The potential exists late Sunday night for the first snow flakes, with grassy areas here in the higher elevations possibly seeing a little. 

It's quickly approaching snow season up here and it's starting to look more mid-Fall like.  Depending on where, some trees (especially maples) are close to bare, but in heavy oak areas, they're just peaking.  The leaves this season started turning right on time, but seem to be running 7-10 days late peaking... just an observation.

Spent the entire day outside.  Took the first pic around 2pm as I snuck up on a couple Spring fawns chowing, getting fat, and preparing for the seasonal migration out of the local snow belt  where it gets too deep for them to easily find food..  Second pic was taken just a few minutes ago as the sun was going down below the hill in my backyard.  Sure gets chilly after that! 

IMG_1132.thumb.JPG.2022b1cfedf700ca3f0547688898f42b.JPG

IMG_1157.thumb.JPG.0714abf37c16d52c7b22857db304a80c.JPG

Awesome!

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Great shots!  Not sure we're going to get color that good down this way.  The leaves have been changing for a good month now, and many trees are partially bare already.  Kind of a weird mixture of mostly green trees, or partially bare trees that have both green and colorful leaves left.  Strange autumn as far as the colors go.

At a point, I felt it was going that way here too.  There was this weird mini initial peak 3 1/2 weeks ago and then all of those leaves fell, leaving the rest to turn very slow but really hang on to the color once turned.  Peak lasted better than a week here.  Plenty of rain fell all summer so dryness wasn't a factor but there wasn't a lot of sun (maybe that was).  At any rate, whatever played out, they're beautiful this year.

13 hours ago, rainsucks said:

I said it's RARE to get appreciable snow in November, I didn't say that it never happens. Keep twisting my words though.

Also, the Nov 2015 storm was unprecedented. You can't just use freak storms like that and say that appreciable snow in Nov is a common thing.

Just a glance to confirm memory, over the last decade in SWMI there's been at least 4 Novembers when 6+ has been recorded in the region. If you go with 3" it's at least 6 as I did not dig through the most LES-prone recording locales. You could argue that they're something of a micro-climate of their own. November can be, and often is a winter shoulder month that in certain years can have some mid-winter style conditions. It may be rare where you reside, but this is a pretty big sub region some of which gets real snow in Nov. 

16 hours ago, rainsucks said:

Lol @ having your house get down to 59°

can't imagine that. 

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It would have to be like the dead of winter for mine to get to 59... if I let it. 

My house tends to run cold. During the summer, my house has an excellent cross breeze, and also almost all hardwood floors. Been in the house 2 yrs (its a 100-yr old house, was my late grandparents). I wised up this year and bought a portable room AC for my bedroom upstairs (where it does get hot). It was getting silly to run the central AC all the time when it really was not needed some of the time on the main floor. While I used that most nights this summer, I only used the central air less than half the time. Now that the seasons are changing, its just about heat time, and since it will be on for 7 months straight I figured might as well ease in, but when I got home from work yesterday and saw it rose from 59 to 61, I figured the hell with it and turned on the heat :lol:

53 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

My house tends to run cold. During the summer, my house has an excellent cross breeze, and also almost all hardwood floors. Been in the house 2 yrs (its a 100-yr old house, was my late grandparents). I wised up this year and bought a portable room AC for my bedroom upstairs (where it does get hot). It was getting silly to run the central AC all the time when it really was not needed some of the time on the main floor. While I used that most nights this summer, I only used the central air less than half the time. Now that the seasons are changing, its just about heat time, and since it will be on for 7 months straight I figured might as well ease in, but when I got home from work yesterday and saw it rose from 59 to 61, I figured the hell with it and turned on the heat :lol:

I would look into adding insulation, you shouldn't be leaking heat out of your house like that.

4 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

41 degrees, bright stars, and the N lights are making an appearance this evening. Gale watches out for the lake... Nice weekend fall storm coming. Can't ask for more.

Been a good showing for the northern lights lately, of course down this way it is cloudy again :lol:

Archived