Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Fall Foliage

WxUSAF

21 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah it is, but it seems that finally some color is popping out in the last week. Probably a solid two weeks behind where it should be though.

Yeah, I guess. Any leaves to this point that I have seen in my neighborhood have been without any color other than brown. Maybe a few muted reds. Pretty disappointing so far. I would guess the surface of the sun hot in September was not great for color...

2 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah it is, but it seems that finally some color is popping out in the last week. Probably a solid two weeks behind where it should be though.

Is it just me or is foliage better near the metros this year?  Imby, some trees still show healthy green leaves, but just on the other side of the street the reds and yellows look amazing!

As a side note, I have this random theory...the overall seasonal brightness can be used to forecast winter temperature anomalies.  Hear me out.  Because healthy vegetation relies on ideal temperature and precipitation patterns, one can hypothesize that greener growth late in autumn may imply warm signals in the longer range.  I think precipitation during the middle of the summer allowed leaves to grow healthily and are lasting this late due to the warmth we've had since much of September, despite dryness over recent weeks.

Perhaps those of us who haven't seen so much color would be most threatened by winter's vengeance? :snowman:

Driving around Columbia and then the back roads home today, I agree with wxusa in that the trees are finally starting to show some good colors. Of course, we've got that strong cold front coming through later in the weekend, so maybe we lose a lot of leaves to heavy rain and gusty winds. But I'm holding out that we see a lot of vivid color next week.

After I leaving Sky Meadows, I went towards Shenandoah River State Park. While going to the park, all the roads were packed outside of Front Royal because of Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive. 

Pretty view after just entering Shenandoah River State Park.

p2596777909-4.jpg

The views from the overlook were amazing!

p2596777922-4.jpg

p2596778296-4.jpg

Beautiful countryside...

p2596778231-4.jpg

p2596778088-4.jpg

p2596778438-4.jpg

Shenandoah River

p2596778289-4.jpg

Such a beautiful area!

p2596778456-4.jpg

After leaving Shenandoah River State Park, I was headed home. After passing Shenandoah National Park, there wasn't a backup, actually went I got to the entrance, there were no vehicles so I headed in. Lesson learned, don't visit the park during Fall. Every overlook was packed. Cars parked all alongside the road, people walking in the road. Never again...

Nice View of the leaves...

p2596779574-4.jpg

p2596779628-4.jpg

Setting Sun...

p2596779550-4.jpg

p2596778588-4.jpg

p2596779542-4.jpg

p2596779592-4.jpg

22 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Great pics! 

I think we’re about a week away from peak IMBY. But very disjointed this year.  Some trees still nearly all green and some with lots of leaf drop already.

Thanks!

Agree. A couple local spots I visit every fall, still have a lot of green. 

22 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Beautiful pictures @ThePhotoGuy

Thank you!

21 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thanks, Photoguy! It's like being there.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived