• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Fall Foliage

WxUSAF

My neighbor has 2 oaks in his front yard and they have dropped enough leaves that you could actually rake a pile if you wanted to. 

It does seem a bit early looking at the maples in the hood. Some that are in shaded areas are almost half red already. Seems unusual but days are a blur every year so I honeslty don't have a mental benchmark on when it normally gets going like this. 

This year definitely started early, but it's stalled over the past week or so. From what I've read, the weather this year has been great in the metro area for good fall color. Plenty of rain through the summer, and then sunny and dry is what I think makes for a banner year. As long as we don't get an extended stretch of wet weather, we should have a better than average year.

i say that, but every year seems pretty good to me. 

There's been plenty of color on quite a few maples for a couple weeks in my 'hood. A bunch of neighbors have flowering cherry trees (kwanzan maybe?), and they've been nearly leafless for the last 10-15 days. Pretty amazing. Oaks are also dropping leaves.

And then, of course, you've got the ubiquitous massive beech trees that both neighbors have. These things drop crap into my yard all year round, and now it's those annoying little prickly seed cases that are beginning to fall. POSs get stuck in everything. I love trees, and those beeches are beautiful and majestic, but if I could annihilate them from my neighbors' yards in one fell swoop, I would. So annoying.

Went up through Monterey, VA and across 250 to Elkins, WV the other day, LOTS of color above 3500 foot, probably close to peak!

Changing here, mostly Maples, but Hickory's and Poplars are turning in last couple days too. Agree on the nuts, Oaks are LOADED this year and dropping like crazy. For those into 'the signs' the wooly worms I've seen this year are solid black with a thin (1/8") stripe on each end.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Dry weather and heat has really nuked the colors it seems to me.  What is turning is mostly brown and just falling already.  A few typically beautiful maples in my neighborhood have fairly minimal color for this time of year.  

Yeah. Seems the good track we were on kinda broke apart. I've noticed a lot of brown from the heat also.

28 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Three weeks ago I was certain this would be a banner year and that the only thing that might mess it up would be too much rain. 

lol yeah. I said the same thing. Thats how we roll though. Not much of anything for a solid month now. Watering the new grass every other day is getting tiresome.

The acorn barrage continues. Cant recall anything like this in recent memory- and for some odd reason I have not seen a damn squirrel in weeks.

On another subject, have you tried the new WWS from Dogfish? Oak aged with vanilla bean. Sipping one now. So good.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

lol yeah. I said the same thing. Thats how we roll though. Not much of anything for a solid month now. Watering the new grass every other day is getting tiresome.

The acorn barrage continues. Cant recall anything like this in recent memory- and for some odd reason I have not seen a damn squirrel in weeks.

On another subject, have you tried the new WWS from Dogfish? Oak aged with vanilla bean. Sipping one now. So good.

Whoa! No, I haven't even seen that yet. Might have to go check out the selection up the street at my two stores.

8 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Whoa! No, I haven't even seen that yet. Might have to go check out the selection up the street at my two stores.

This one is about the same abv as the original WWS, a bit less, at 17%. Lol, still BIG. The overall notes shift a bit from dark fruit, as you can taste a bit more chocolate and of course the vanilla. This sucker will only get better with age too. I will never manage to let it happen though!

4 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I would struggle to go 15 minutes outside my house without seeing a squirrel.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I would struggle to go 15 minutes outside my house without seeing a squirrel.

Same here normally. I am totally in the woods. I usually see squirrels all the time. Really odd those suckers have pretty much disappeared lately, with all these acorns falling.

I blame the return of the stink bugs. Coincidence?

On 10/6/2017 at 9:25 PM, C.A.P.E. said:

Same here normally. I am totally in the woods. I usually see squirrels all the time. Really odd those suckers have pretty much disappeared lately, with all these acorns falling.

I blame the return of the stink bugs. Coincidence?

I'd say you've got hawks close by getting fattened up themselves.

Ditto on the acorns, most I've seen in probably last 5 or 6 years. 

Not expecting much in the way of true fall color --- waaaaaaaaaaaay too dry. Tomorrow night's storms will fizzle east of the mountains, just a couple femtometers of drizzle then a big wind shift and Fall begins FINALLY! We'll see lots rain come late Dec, Jan, Feb, March. I will be so happy to see the rain that I will never ever be buried in WxWatcher's weather weenie cemetery lol. I'll end up burying HIM lmao! I've got one hell of a badass digging shovel lol. All that rain we will get will make the digging so much easier.

Archived