Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Maria--imby and beyond pregame

BTRWx

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

Timing really is a thing here. If we want an east coast hit (and I mean, we are weenies, so we do, but thinking of moderating that kills me a little bit inside), we need Maria to thread the needle (drink!). Squeeze in between the WAR and incoming trough that will kick it back out to sea.

If that trough deepens and tilts, I think it could help us.  I think one of the euro runs yesterday was close to that.

The trough placement from this 12z euro frame from yesterday and where Maria has been trending today comes close. 

ecmwf_z500aNorm_namer_10.png

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, cae said:

donsutherland1 on the main thread has been trying to balance historical tracks with current model runs and estimates there is about a 30% chance of U.S. landfall.  WxWatcher007 has it at about 25%.  So I'm going to rely on my expertise in reading posts by people who know more than me and say that there is about a 27.5% chance of U.S. landfall.  Enough to keep me tracking for a while longer at least.

This is the most scientific thing I've ever read.

-said half in jest, half in agreement

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Come on. You know you want to see a CAT 4+ cane lift up a 102,000 ton nuclear powered carrier from Norfolk, toss it ALL THE WAY across the LWX zone, and sit it down neatly right next to mini-map's playscape. 

I mean, when you put it that way... 

21 minutes ago, H2O said:

Remember that the Ukie had Irma nailed well in advance

The Ukie was too far south and west with Irma.  It was just more south and west than the GFS and Euro, so as the forecast shifted to the south and west it looked like the other models were caving to the Ukie.  In the end the Euro was best by a good margin.

I believe the Ukie had Matthew nailed well in advance though.  Again by being farther to the west than the GFS and Euro. 

4 minutes ago, cae said:

The Ukie was too far south and west with Irma.  It was just more south and west than the GFS and Euro, so as the forecast shifted to the south and west it looked like the other models were caving to the Ukie.  In the end the Euro was best by a good margin.

I believe the Ukie had Matthew nailed well in advance though.  Again by being farther to the west than the GFS and Euro. 

I think he was kidding. 

1 minute ago, cae said:

Oops.  I should have known that when I saw who wrote it.

Hey, only 95% of my posts are never to be taken seriously.

But i was partly kidding with my Ukie post.  My intent was to point out how it was closer to the truth than the GGEM which for whatever reason(and is rarely right) gets posted like there is a chance it will be right this time.  GGEM is NAM or CRAS worthy.

unless its winter and we are getting neige'd to death in mms.  Then it is valid

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

But i was partly kidding with my Ukie post.  My intent was to point out how it was closer to the truth than the GGEM which for whatever reason(and is rarely right) gets posted like there is a chance it will be right this time.  GGEM is NAM or CRAS worthy.

this is why no one can take you seriously. wishing for carriers in your front yard, speaking LOTR up in here. smh man. pull it together. 

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

Based on discussions over the last couple weeks regarding the ukie, your comment seemed realistic to me.

2 hours ago, yoda said:

At hr 138... GFS seems to make teh WAR go poof near Maria

12 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

Slightly weaker Jose, slightly faster Maria, still early per ecmwf

12z Euro Hour 96-120 Maria slows down and starts to turn NE,  there's a building ridge over the northeast but the incoming trof from the west is making a push east.  This may be heading OTS

Archived