Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Maria--imby and beyond pregame

BTRWx

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this is the IMBY thread, what does the current track deliver for the VA, DC, Baltimore area? I assume its nothing more than clouds, a breeze or two, and a conversation shower.

Maybe some Chesapeake Bay flooding?

Its a shame it wants to hook so hard east, if it could stay closer to the coast on its way up, I think it would be more significant.

I'd love a day off from work, or at least a bit of media hype here or there.

But for now, my goal is to see this have an official USA landfall, such would buck the "10% odds" it was given at one point.

14 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Since this is the IMBY thread, what does the current track deliver for the VA, DC, Baltimore area? I assume its nothing more than clouds, a breeze or two, and a conversation shower.

Maybe some Chesapeake Bay flooding?

Its a shame it wants to hook so hard east, if it could stay closer to the coast on its way up, I think it would be more significant.

I'd love a day off from work, or at least a bit of media hype here or there.

But for now, my goal is to see this have an official USA landfall, such would buck the "10% odds" it was given at one point.

My bad. I hope it was worth it to you all? lol

eta: 11 pages might be a record for me

19 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

With all the op guidance in now for 12z, I think we see at least TS watches for the Outer Banks of NC with the next advisory package. SE VA looks good for some TS gusts verbatim, but not sure they get covered. 

Agree. I presume the watch cut off will be NC/VA border.

Still, wouldn't be surprised if they extended the watch up to VA eastern shore though, NHC isn't that conservative with regard to issuing TS watches.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Could be better, but I think you're in a good spot for some action. Good luck :) 

Thanks! I wish it wasn't a weekday, otherwise I would drive down to at least Nags Head. Probably wouldn't dare (pun intended) to go farther south due to road being about 1 foot above sea level lol

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Same. I may have some time to do it, but my Wednesday looks awful lol. 

I've never been to the Outer Banks. I was considering Hatteras a few days ago but traveling there for a storm like this probably isn't a show up one day and easily leave the next type deal.

Currently thinking Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills but now I'm worried that I'll get there and they'll close Wright Memorial Bridge before I can get back across it lol. 

Outer Banks are great! You should visit them even without a potential hurricane landfall lol

I don't think bridge closing should be a problem if we take Hampton Roads bridges as an example. They don't close the CBBT or HRBT for all traffic unless there are 65+ MPH winds.

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Same. I may have some time to do it, but my Wednesday looks awful lol. 

I've never been to the Outer Banks. I was considering Hatteras a few days ago but traveling there for a storm like this probably isn't a show up one day and easily leave the next type deal.

Currently thinking Nags Head or Kill Devil Hills but now I'm worried that I'll get there and they'll close Wright Memorial Bridge before I can get back across it lol. 

Love the OBX. Nags Head/Kitty Hawk/KDH are great areas.

Just an FYI, anything south of the Bonner Bridge (Hatteras Island) is prone to Overwash from the ocean. They close Highway 12 at times during/after the overwash to clear the water and and use heavy machinery to push back the sand dunes. Might get stuck down on Hatteras for a bit ;) 

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thanks. Will need to look at my schedule and the models in the morning to see if I have a window to get down there. 

If I do, it'll almost certainly be in KDH area. Ideally, I'd like to stay until things settle on Thursday but I might need to leave Wednesday morning.

KDH/Kitty Hawk/Nags Head are all great areas. I am pretty familiar with those areas if you have any questions. 

38 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'll regret it since I love tropical, but not sure it's worth spending money going down there for what could be minimal TS conditions. Good for NC though, we don't really need another big US strike. 

Doesn't seem worth the trip based on the latest NHC track and intensity forecast.

Having lived 5 miles from the beach in NJ and gone down there for a number of tropical storm passes, it was hardly even worth the 5 miles trip many times. The only one that impressed me was Isabel.

Archived