• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Maria, likely to hit Florida or south

In 36 hours, Cat4-5 Maria will pass through this box.

59c0413395f78_mariaanalog.png.583f4c4a718ea147a370f5eeebf2577c.png

Since 1948, 20 Hurricanes have passed through the area. 

5 Went out to Sea

3 Hit North Carolina

5 Hit Florida

6 moved into the Gulf or Carribbean

These are 500mb anomaly loops of each set. You decide.

Out to Sea.

a.gif.a873de95b2f2bdb67556aee4d239e7bc.gif

North Carolina. 
c.gif.3fe216eeb9befac969e698ac63f4c0ca.gif

Florida.

b.gif.15a6b6e9d9631d6694df16c6418adfde.gif

Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean.
d.gif.bff5d2e39ce4d23d6017506f3929f82a.gif

e.thumb.gif.3e5d85659d147acff242baa204572728.gif

The Florida/Gulf maps are much closer match than North Carolina and out to sea. NAO region, all.

at201715_ensmodel.gif.40582e8b92c696fee565340514815438.gif

at201715_ensmodel1.gif.b410793fa11832277e81d228f99280cd.gif

Cat 3+ that made landfall, strength at landfall:

1 Cat5,

2 Cat4,

2 Cat3,

2 Cat2

predict Cat3-4 at landfall. 

I've discussed in other threads that La Nina is much stronger than expected, and models may not be picking this up. ENSO is very highly correlated to Atlantic storm track

14 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Of course, the wild card is what's left of Jose and what it does to the ridge if it does another loop north of Bermuda. Is there any climo analog for that?

In my experience of watching storms and models for a long time northern latitude systems are handled poorly and at this range, and almost always verifies not as much impact, especially the stronger the south storm is. But this was more so the case yesterday than today, it's kind of been phased out a little bit. 

I noticed with Irma how you hyped it up to go deep into the Gulf (even though no model supported your opinion) and you made other nonsensical claims.

Then some people alerted me to why you're doing that. Using meteorology to fool people in order to raise the value of your gas futures market (or whatever) is really sad.

I (and the models) are sure Maria will not track into the Gulf. There is no steering pattern present to bring her there. Stop deceiving.

3 hours ago, SteveVa said:

I noticed with Irma how you hyped it up to go deep into the Gulf (even though no model supported your opinion) and you made other nonsensical claims.

Then some people alerted me to why you're doing that. Using meteorology to fool people in order to raise the value of your gas futures market (or whatever) is really sad.

I (and the models) are sure Maria will not track into the Gulf. There is no steering pattern present to bring her there. Stop deceiving.

I'll reply, the prediction was Irma would hit Florida or go into the Gulf, and in the last few days I did think the strength would carry it further west than forecast. It was a good forecast though because when I said 5% chance of east coast hit north of Florida, when the majority of models were showing North Carolina. The gasoline thread is potentially an awesome point. 18 hours after this thread is made, it's not such a good forecast https://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_15 

interesting post.  the only thing i would caution against is making a claim that something is likely based off what's happened in the past.  to me, that's a mask for not understanding fully the current setup and doesn't really work in meteorology very well.  who knows, though, maybe this will begin trending further west.

On September 18, 2017 at 5:59 PM, StormchaserChuck said:

In 36 hours, Cat4-5 Maria will pass through this box.

59c0413395f78_mariaanalog.png.583f4c4a718ea147a370f5eeebf2577c.png

Since 1948, 20 Hurricanes have passed through the area. 

5 Went out to Sea

3 Hit North Carolina

5 Hit Florida

6 moved into the Gulf or Carribbean

These are 500mb anomaly loops of each set. You decide.

Out to Sea.

a.gif.a873de95b2f2bdb67556aee4d239e7bc.gif

North Carolina. 
c.gif.3fe216eeb9befac969e698ac63f4c0ca.gif

Florida.

b.gif.15a6b6e9d9631d6694df16c6418adfde.gif

Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean.
d.gif.bff5d2e39ce4d23d6017506f3929f82a.gif

e.thumb.gif.3e5d85659d147acff242baa204572728.gif

The Florida/Gulf maps are much closer match than North Carolina and out to sea. NAO region, all.

at201715_ensmodel.gif.40582e8b92c696fee565340514815438.gif

at201715_ensmodel1.gif.b410793fa11832277e81d228f99280cd.gif

Cat 3+ that made landfall, strength at landfall:

1 Cat5,

2 Cat4,

2 Cat3,

2 Cat2

predict Cat3-4 at landfall. 

I've discussed in other threads that La Nina is much stronger than expected, and models may not be picking this up. ENSO is very highly correlated to Atlantic storm track

Thanks dude.

I bet my friend $250 that this storm would not hit Florida.  Your forecast made me feel really strongly on taking the "not hit" side and it paid off.

2 hours ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

Thanks dude.

I bet my friend $250 that this storm would not hit Florida.  Your forecast made me feel really strongly on taking the "not hit" side and it paid off.

A lot of convulsion in the upper latitudes, otherwise a huge Cat 5 hurricane in the Gulf with no major trough dropping through in mid September has a good chance of tracking west. There was a time when the weatherunderground map showed 19/20 historical analogs all hitting land, the only non analog being Jose which tracked pretty good NE of this, and was #20 closest of the bunch. Replies about bad forcasting: too many. Science posts discussing my well researched post (right or wrong): 0. 

44 minutes ago, winterymix said:

It has been pointed out by NHC that a trough extends southwest from Jose almost to the GOM and

this opens up a weakness in the western-Atlantic ridge.   This seems to be reason enough to expect

Maria to trend north and eventually NNE.

I understand that. Rarely does a lingering storm redirect a big, strong Hurricane. Usually something happens and the northern system goes far off forecast track (not south). It's all learning, and this is a good post. The shift in models had to happen soon and 18 hours after this was written it was obvious that Maria would not hit Florida or Gulf. 

1 minute ago, StormchaserChuck said:

A lot of convulsion in the upper latitudes, otherwise a huge Cat 5 hurricane in the Gulf with no major trough dropping through in mid September has a good chance of tracking west. Replies about bad forcasting: too many. Science posts discussing my well researched post (right or wrong): 0. 

A lot of "convulsion"? And you're complaining about the lack of science in the discussions here? I suppose after hitting Florida, Maria will take a
"hop, skip, and a jump" over the rest of the continental US to end up in Hudson's Bay?

Look, 100% model reliability 5 days out isn't assured. But the reliable models have all been trending east. Even the GFS. And climatology favors a recurve. It is highly likely that we will see a recurve. If not, we MIGHT see a NC or VA landfall but probabilities are extremely low, almost not worth discussing. But to talk about a FL landfall or GOM at this point is a bit ridiculous. There would be a lot of people at the NHC who would be very very wrong.

2 hours ago, StormchaserChuck said:

A lot of convulsion in the upper latitudes, otherwise a huge Cat 5 hurricane in the Gulf with no major trough dropping through in mid September has a good chance of tracking west. There was a time when the weatherunderground map showed 19/20 historical analogs all hitting land, the only non analog being Jose which tracked pretty good NE of this, and was #20 closest of the bunch. Replies about bad forcasting: too many. Science posts discussing my well researched post (right or wrong): 0. 

hahaha

3 hours ago, StormchaserChuck said:

The science behind this showed it would curve well east of Florida as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived