joxey
Hurricane Maria

downeastnc

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Yeah, but there has been a few west shifts today. The Euro and 18z GFS 

Models really wont get a good handle on the whole Jose, WAR, trough timing issue for a few more days, especially since a lot of it has to do with Jose and what happens with him....the trend today was weaker with Jose and maybe a bit faster with Maria....the NHC weakens Jose to a 40 mph post tropical low in 3-4 days not sure how much effect that will have on Maria....it certainly isn't reflecting the models which have him as a strong storm still....as Jose weakens the models will probably run him weaker and weaker and thus we could see a continued west shift with Maria....still for the next few days I wouldn't expect much agreement from the models, at least with the exact track.

5 minutes ago, JoshM said:

Maria will have to ride the coast or hit land, that HP over the Atlantic keeps trending a tad west each run. As always, still a lot to be determined.

Yep still a long time to go and plenty of things can and will change....seems the west trend is more likely than a east one at this point lol....

Yeah so this is the point and click forecast for SE Puerto Rico....

Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 79. Strong and damaging winds, with a south wind 120 to 130 mph becoming south 55 to 65 mph. Winds could gust as high as 180 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts in excess of 4 inches possible.

Welll gfs keeps trending east i expect the euro to correct back east.. I know we are still 7 days away but looks like it's coming clearer and clearer that Maria will stay off shore... the days a winding down and I don't expect models to correct west enough to have Maria landfall on the east coast

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, timnc910 said:

Welll gfs keeps trending east i expect the euro to correct back east.. I know we are still 7 days away but looks like it's coming clearer and clearer that Maria will stay off shore... the days a winding down and I don't expect models to correct west enough to have Maria landfall on the east coast

I hope you're right because I've made it known I don't want to this thing anywhere close to me in SE NC. With that said, the models went 150-200 miles west yesterday and only went about half that east over night. I mentioned it yesterday but I believe it will be Friday before we have a good feel for this. Jose and the High over the Atlantic are still trying to figure out what they want to do

12 minutes ago, timnc910 said:

Nothing's clear yet. 

6 hours ago, downeastnc said:

Yep still a long time to go and plenty of things can and will change....seems the west trend is more likely than a east one at this point lol....

I agree, Harvey and Irma both schooled us on last minute track adjustments.

The problem is "IF" Maria hits NC the models probably wont pick up on it well until this weekend....both the GFS and Euro had runs earlier that had Jose die quickly and the WAR push Maria west....this Euro run from Sat night is actually kinda sorta what I think the models are trending towards....or at least hinting at by weakening Jose faster and trying to make the WAR stronger...I just got a bad feeling about Maria hope its wrong....

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=us&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2017091700&fh=240&xpos=0&ypos=0

28 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

The problem is "IF" Maria hits NC the models probably wont pick up on it well until this weekend....both the GFS and Euro had runs earlier that had Jose die quickly and the WAR push Maria west....this Euro run from Sat night is actually kinda sorta what I think the models are trending towards....or at least hinting at by weakening Jose faster and trying to make the WAR stronger...I just got a bad feeling about Maria hope its wrong....

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=ecmwf&region=us&pkg=z500_mslp&runtime=2017091700&fh=240&xpos=0&ypos=0

This will definitely be something to watch for. That run stuck in my head too. Not naming names, but on social media in general there's been a lot of bullish perspectives on this being OTC or OTC enough to not have implications here in NC. They insisted that was fact even when it was 8-10 days out.  Odd when back these days with Irma there was the understanding that it's days out and models will change.  I told someone the other day that I was Switzerland on this, because still we are a good ways out and it very well could drive by closer than we thought or even inland some.  I'm not a betting woman on this. These storms have been incredibly difficult. Of course this could reverse again. It's just sobering to see it closer west. 

12 minutes ago, Regan said:

This will definitely be something to watch for. That run stuck in my head too. Not naming names, but on social media in general there's been a lot of bullish perspectives on this being OTC or OTC enough to not have implications here in NC. They insisted that was fact even when it was 8-10 days out.  Odd when back these days with Irma there was the understanding that it's days out and models will change.  I told someone the other day that I was Switzerland on this, because still we are a good ways out and it very well could drive by closer than we thought or even inland some.  I'm not a betting woman on this. These storms have been incredibly difficult. Of course this could reverse again. It's just sobering to see it closer west. 

JB just said his area to watch is from NC to MA, he's saying there's a lot bigger envelope for it to move west , than to the east, on FB

2 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

I'm sure we'll have plenty of back and forth with the models. Just too early to tell now. Maria could be a threat to hit just as much as it could go out to sea. Euro seems to come west a bit again, so that is concerning.

Based on position it's about 30% chance and US LF overwhelming east coast threat as opposed to GOM.  That's from don s 

Archived