Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Maria

downeastnc

52 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I feel like Maria is the last decent opportunity for an EC hit this year, and the chances here are rapidly going down the drain.  We may still have a window for a couple more weeks, but usually, we start to see more frequent troughing moving through this time of year, which will greatly lessen the chances of impact.  Just weird how there are no troughs available to carry Jose on OTS.

The last couple of weeks has provided a predominant ridge in the east. As long as this pattern holds we'll have tropical systems taking aim. I read somewhere that this fall was predicted to be warmer than normal (ridging). That could extend our chances farther than normal.  

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

The last couple of weeks has provided a predominant ridge in the east. As long as this pattern holds we'll have tropical systems taking aim. I read somewhere that this fall was predicted to be warmer than normal (ridging). That could extend our chances farther than normal.  

Yeah that's true.  I'm just sort of basing it off climo, but you're right....lately, we've had more ridging, so the chances may be higher this year if we remain stuck in that sort of pattern for a bit longer.

14 minutes ago, senc30 said:

I'm gonna ask because of a post you made yesterday. Are you wanting a landfall on the EC?

Not really.  I just like weather and tracking the possibilities of events.  My desired outcome here is sort of like watching Wake Forest play Georgia Tech in basketball.  I couldn't care less about the outcome.  I just enjoy watching a good game.  In reality though, it doesn't matter what I want.  The weather will do what it will do.  The suspense aspect of it is kinda fun, just like if Wake is up by 1 with 20 seconds on the clock and Tech has the ball.  With the case of Maria, we're already starting to get a pretty good feel for the outcome, which is becoming a blowout.  Kinda takes the fun out of tracking.  Yay, another suite of model runs showing all OTS.  That's pretty much it.

Jose looking more healthy this morning...relative.  Euro spot on with SLP strength.    I think the odds of Jose dissipating to affect the track of Maria is almost nil.   Only hope looks to be if it tracks more NE and ridge building in quicker.  Slower Maria I guess could help too.  

3 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Loaded question...99% of the people on this board want the threat to track , maybe not a cat 5 that destroys everything but lower impact.  

I must be in the 1% then because living 23 miles from Topsail beach and going through the devastation of Fran, Bonnie, Bertha, Isabel, Irene, Floyd, etc. the last thing I want to see is anything even close to here. To each their own I guess. With that said, back to the topic at hand. I still think Friday will be the day that things come into focus much, much better 

15 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Not really.  I just like weather and tracking the possibilities of events.  My desired outcome here is sort of like watching Wake Forest play Georgia Tech in basketball.  I couldn't care less about the outcome.  I just enjoy watching a good game.  In reality though, it doesn't matter what I want.  The weather will do what it will do.  The suspense aspect of it is kinda fun, just like if Wake is up by 1 with 20 seconds on the clock and Tech has the ball.  With the case of Maria, we're already starting to get a pretty good feel for the outcome, which is becoming a blowout.  Kinda takes the fun out of tracking.  Yay, another suite of model runs showing all OTS.  That's pretty much it.

Ouch.

13 minutes ago, senc30 said:

I must be in the 1% then because living 23 miles from Topsail beach and going through the devastation of Fran, Bonnie, Bertha, Isabel, Irene, Floyd, etc. the last thing I want to see is anything even close to here. To each their own I guess. With that said, back to the topic at hand. I still think Friday will be the day that things come into focus much, much better 

Certainly understand that...you shouldn't have anything to worry about with Maria, except for some rough surf.  

54 minutes ago, senc30 said:

Yea tracking and expierencing extreme weather up close are fun to alot of us on this board, self included. However I can do without on the canes and tornados. The Aftermath is just to hard and destructive on everyone. We have 4 workers from PR here with alot of family just SE of San juan by about 30 miles. They are really stressed out atm as u could iimagine. 1 of them was scheduled for vacation next week to go back, beleive it or not. They dodged Irma bullet minus lot of tree damage, power outage etc because eye stayed far enough off shore. But this is probably gonna be a direct hit like that island country took last night.

Anythings possible but right now Im pretty confident Maria is OTS after PR and Virgin Islands Thanks to the path Jose is/will create.

Archived