Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

How do you feel about the 155mph LF intensity?

Well my guess is that is probably was not 155 sustained on the island given past behavior with these ERC...but I was not flying around in it either. That's just an educated guess. I'm sure you have violent gusts that helped make up for it, like we saw with Irma in SW FL.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Well my guess is that is probably was not 155 sustained on the island given past behavior with these ERC...but I was not flying around in it either. That's just an educated guess. I'm sure you have violent gusts that helped make up for it, like we saw with Irma in SW FL.

Agree. I think it was a little weaker..

6 minutes ago, Crazieman said:

Not good to see the rivers react so fast. Being forced to seek out shelter on higher ground during hurricane  conditions does not sound like fun. Hopefully those flood plains aren't very populated.. of course when you start exceeding record levels people tend to get caught off guard 

Does anybody know what percentage of hurricanes weaken before landfall? Based on all the ERC talk, I expected to see this below cat 5 this morning, and we did. It "seems" like many hurricanes aren't intensifying or stable at landfall, or is this a false perception?

Just for the historical record in this thread, CNN reporters in San Juan and on east coast just north of landfall have taken cover inside and their videos of outside conditions appear consistent with cat-3 or cat-4 conditions ... they can't stand up to report from even sheltered spots outside. 

Meanwhile, eye approaching Arecibo on northwest coast, winds steadily increasing to NNE 62 knots gusting 85 knots at 0048z. Observing site on shoreline reports every 6 min, don't think we get to see next ten reports until 0148z transmission (but watching for them). No pressure report from this data buoy. 

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

The sounds coming out of those forests are truly ghastly.  And this storm has a long history of completely stripping trees of their leaves.

The sound in the video below is terrifying, it sounds like some huge monster exhaling through its teeth.

Leaves stripped from the palm trees in that video. As a Midwesterner, I am not certain what wind speed they usually can withstand? 

4 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Just for the historical record in this thread, CNN reporters in San Juan and on east coast just north of landfall have taken cover inside and their videos of outside conditions appear consistent with cat-3 or cat-4 conditions ... they can't stand up to report from even sheltered spots outside. 

Meanwhile, eye approaching Arecibo on northwest coast, winds steadily increasing to NNE 62 knots gusting 85 knots at 0048z. Observing site on shoreline reports every 6 min, don't think we get to see next ten reports until 0148z transmission (but watching for them). No pressure report from this data buoy. 

There was someone streaming from Trujillo Alto (SE of San Juan) and the winds had died down considerably.  He claimed that they were probably under the eye (or perhaps they were under some gap).

On subject of "weakening" at landfall, in these cases where a strong hurricane approaches a hilly or mountainous region, we have to understand that the forward half of the circulation is being squeezed up so there would be some tendency for the surface elements of the eyewall region to be lifted up near the coast, net effect being a pressure rise and wind decrease at sea level but no doubt the cat-5 winds continued on to make an elevated landfall.

When Patricia came inland there was evidence that pressures had risen 30-40 mbs in the six hours to landfall but winds at some elevation inland (northwest portion of eyewall) were still representative of lower eye central pressures, so really this discussion is somewhat moot, it depends on where you want to measure the winds -- but officially it is the conditions at the sea level landfall point. Those may not be known for a while but from the radar I suspect there may be patchy cat-5 damage evidence in the right front quarter of the eyewall. There will probably be widespread cat-5 type blowdown on ridges (and unfortunately the radar was located in such a spot). 

4 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

I highly doubt san juan got cat 4 winds.  2 and 3 most likely. Elevated sections of eastern pr got 5 winds...but top end sea level winds die out very quickly out away from marine exposure in the ne eyewall.  

Downtown San Juan literally sits on the beach. And the newer section, which is further East sits at sea level and on the water.