Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Figures it'd landfall at 155, Ray, just below Cat 5 intensity.  Now we can have the argument that since winds are reported at 5 mph intervals, why 157 is the minimum for Cat 5, and not 155!  Since a 157 mph wind would never be reported.  Of course, based on the observations, it's doubtful this was even 155 mph sustained on landfall.  More like 135-140.

Last Cat 4 landfall in PR was 1932- I wonder if that was the same storm that LF'd in Fla  too?

No. That storm made additional landfalls in Jamaica and Belize. By the time it made landfall in Belize, it was a tropical storm.

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Chris, surrounding areas reported wind gusts in the 110s (113-117 mph).  Strongest gust I can find anywhere is 137-140 mph (112 sustained) on a small island just to the east of PR.

The 113 mph gust was the last report out of San Juan.

A sustained wind of 64 mph (104 km/h) with a gust to 113 mph
(182 km/h) was recently reported at San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Just now, bluewave said:

The 113 mph gust was the last report out of San Juan.

A sustained wind of 64 mph (104 km/h) with a gust to 113 mph
(182 km/h) was recently reported at San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Yes, that's the one I just heard about.  Strongest wind gust from anywhere in PR I can find is 118 mph from Santiago Harbor.

10 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

No. That storm made additional landfalls in Jamaica and Belize. By the time it made landfall in Belize, it was a tropical storm.

Don, interesting list of analogs we can come up with, major hurricanes that hit PR and what they did afterwards?  1928 Cat 5, hit Fla "Lake Okeechobee Hurricane", 1932 Cat 4 as you stated, went into Central America as a TS, 1989 Hugo went on to hit SC as a Cat 4, and now we have Maria.

Just now, JC-CT said:
1 minute ago, Paragon said:
Can't be thinking about this before Monday.

No question there has been a trend towards a closer track to the east coast. Just still plenty of time for that to completely reverse itself.

Yes, we have two distinct camps.  So there's a lot of interest in what might happen next week, but I'm a bit burnt out staying up til 2 am looking at Jose modeling most of last week, and all we had was a couple of downpours and some nice cool breezes :P Still appreciate the updates though, especially since even the "out to sea" camp has the storm getting pretty close to the coast before veering away.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The 140 gust was on an island just ENE of PR. I'm sure there were gusts near that in PR..but you won't know probably thanks to power or equipment failure.

Yeah that was the 112 sustained / 140 gust report.  I'm sure the taller peaks on PR probably exceeded that.  Any idea how close the eye of Maria came to the higher mountains in east-central PR, Scott?

New 8 am advisory still has the storm at 150 mph / 921 mb

Yes, we have two distinct camps.  So there's a lot of interest in what might happen next week, but I'm a bit burnt out staying up til 2 am looking at Jose modeling most of last week, and all we had was a couple of downpours and some nice cool breezes  Still appreciate the updates though, especially since even the "out to sea" camp has the storm getting pretty close to the coast before veering away.

TyphoonTip has a pretty good post about it in the New England thread this morning. I wouldn't do any all nighters on a Maria east coast landfall at the moment.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Yeah that was the 112 sustained / 140 gust report.  I'm sure the taller peaks on PR probably exceeded that.  Any idea how close the eye of Maria came to the higher mountains in east-central PR, Scott?

New 8 am advisory still has the storm at 150 mph / 921 mb

Looks like it probably heavily damaged that forest in NE PR.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Looks like it probably heavily damaged that forest in NE PR.

The sounds coming out of those forests are truly ghastly.  And this storm has a long history of completely stripping trees of their leaves.

The sound in the video below is terrifying, it sounds like some huge monster exhaling through its teeth.