Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

You can calculate it yourself:

http://storm.aoml.noaa.gov/hwind/ikeCalculator/IkeCalculator.php

You can fill in the data with the latest Forecast Advisory:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT5+shtml/192042.shtml?

The only data missing is the Rmax, which is the radius of maximum winds. It's not that important for results, but I calculated about 6-7 nm.

Not sure where the 60TJ came from, I think the standard is to use the IKE TS, and I only get an IKE of around 38, which is double of Andrew's, for example. Hurricanes with IKE around 60 are like Camille or Ike.

Can't really do a "hurricanes with ike around x are so and so." It takes into account a cyclone's size.

Just now, JC-CT said:
2 minutes ago, wxmx said:
You can calculate it yourself:

http://storm.aoml.noaa.gov/hwind/ikeCalculator/IkeCalculator.php

You can fill in the data with the latest Forecast Advisory:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCMAT5+shtml/192042.shtml?

The only data missing is the Rmax, which is the radius of maximum winds. It's not that important for results, but I calculated about 6-7 nm.

Not sure where the 60TJ came from, I think the standard is to use the IKE TS, and I only get an IKE of around 38, which is double of Andrew's, for example. Hurricanes with IKE around 60 are like Camille or Ike.

Can't really do a "hurricanes with ike around x are so and so." It takes into account a cyclone's size.

Did you follow the links? You have to input data related to size

• Like 1

Just now, JC-CT said:
1 minute ago, wxmx said:
Did you follow the links? You have to input data related to size

No I did not. Just responding to the last sentence, to not create confusion that 60 IKE is like the max a hurricane can get. I'm sure you know that's not even close to the max.

Not sure what you are talking about. I'm comparing IKE when the mentioned historic storms were at their max IKE.

6 minutes ago, wxmx said:

Not sure what you are talking about. I'm comparing IKE when the mentioned historic storms were at their max IKE.

IKE is the best way to judge how high the storm surge will be, Jorge?  I wish we could calculate the IKE of some historic storms that supposedly had amazingly high surges, like the 1821 Hurricane (29 foot surge in NJ).  Katrina and Sandy also must be high on the list.  Does it also work with Pacific typhoons and super typhoons like Haiyan?

IKE is the best way to judge how high the storm surge will be, Jorge?  I wish we could calculate the IKE of some historic storms that supposedly had amazingly high surges, like the 1821 Hurricane (29 foot surge in NJ).  Katrina and Sandy also must be high on the list.  Does it also work with Pacific typhoons and super typhoons like Haiyan?

Sandy is #2

5 minutes ago, JC-CT said:
9 minutes ago, wxmx said:

I guess my point is that storms with a lot lower SS rating have had a similar IKE.

Gotcha. My point with that statement was to show skepticism at the 60TJ IKE figure. My own calculations point to around 40TJ

1 minute ago, Hotair said:

Based on last few pressure readings Maria is being called one of the top ten strongest storms in the Atlantic in recorded history.  So sub 910

We just need one more Cat 5 this season to equal 2005 which had 3 cat 5s (and pressure-wise the strongest hurricane in Atlantic basin recorded history.)  Not wishing for that.......

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

IKE is the best way to judge how high the storm will be, Jorge?  I wish we could calculate the IKE of some historic storms that supposedly had amazingly high surges, like the 1821 Hurricane (29 foot surge in NJ).  Katrina and Sandy also must be high on the list.

59c1acb47d4a0_images(2).jpg.426ee99b4fa736206af7fd3a0f7dcfd4.jpg

• Like 1