Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just a few rum huts damaged.

Yeah, I don't think Irma and Maria are just delaying happy hour for a couple of days. There is devastation in some pretty impoverished areas.

A poorly timed jog with Maria could bring the eye dangerous close to relief efforts in the Virgin Islands. STT already gusting to 43 kts in fact.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mountain_Patch said:

I'm starting to come to agreement with 40/70 on his contrarian nature. None of these islands minus Barbuda have been completely decimated. Fact is at this current heading, it's going to interact with the mountains prior to hitting San Juan. The infrastructure will be damaged, but it isn't coming in from the northern part of the Island it's coming in from the South Eastern. It will be bad, and people will die, but this is a compact hurricane that doesn't have the size, or the punch Irma did at her maximum. The damage will be similar to the 7.1 in Mexico, and it will suck. However, this isn't going to be Biblical. We shouldn't let our imaginations run so wild with these storms. People who read the forums get the concept that it's going to be like Tuscaloosa, Moore, Joplin, but it's just not. 

Also; If you'd do a little googling you'd see HAM radio operators are still in communication. Just because some services are out doesn't mean all are. 
http://www.arrl.org/news/radio-amateur-on-st-lucia-relays-reports-of-hurricane-devastation-on-dominica

Contrarian?

No way....Dominica was decimated, and PR is going to be severely impacted.

My only question is whether or not its going to be catastrophic or extreme in PR.

Everything anyone is discussing is anecdotal.The local code establishes 145 mph as a baseline. The problem is going to be 'Creole' construction as defined in this article: https://www.elnuevodia.com/english/english/nota/irmashowstheproblemofinformalconstruction-2358410/  Before the 2011 codes the baseline was 125. The problem is going to be *how much 'Creole'* construction took place. Puerto Rico is impoverished in comparison to the U.S. but on a lot of their buildings they do have decent standards. I would like less anecdotal evidence. 

23 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Considering we basically know nothing of what's happened in Dominica (and what we do know sounds pretty bad), I'd temper your gusto a bit.

Unfortunately we see this phenomenon quite often just prior to big natural disasters.  It's almost as if the human mind tries to downplay something so it won't have to deal with the enormity of it (especially if it's someone who is not directly affected.)  I saw this during the early phases of the Katrina disaster, Sandy, Harvey and Irma.

Some news coming out of Dominica slowly from 'ham radio' operators, sporadically, but the essence is bad, very bad

http://wicnews.com/caribbean/dominica-devastation-emerges-fatalities-90-buildings-destroyed-44575828/

90 percent of housing 'destroyed', known fatalities, landslides, flooding

It seems the damage is comparable to that of Barbuda, with the exception that Dominica is far more mountainous and therefore landslides are likely

2 minutes ago, PressureDrop2017 said:

Some news coming out of Dominica slowly from 'ham radio' operators, sporadically, but the essence is bad, very bad

http://wicnews.com/caribbean/dominica-devastation-emerges-fatalities-90-buildings-destroyed-44575828/

90 percent of housing 'destroyed', known fatalities, landslides, flooding

It seems the damage is comparable to that of Barbuda, with the exception that Dominica is far more mountainous and therefore landslides are likely

I didn't think Dominica's housing would withstand CAT1 winds.  It is built on the side of a mountain in a jungle with 2 way streets only wide enough for 1 car and no guardrails. Lots of houses look like huts.