Welcome to American Weather
Jtm12180

Hurricane Maria

1,697 posts in this topic

At the risk of sounding aggressively contrarian I doubt the validity of those 120 knot gusts in Naples. I saw all the reporters from twc and the three cable news nets and every reporter was able to continue standing up all the while remaining live, on air. And some of the networks were on balconies and elevated parking garages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HurricaneJosh said:

Yeah, to be clear, I'm talking about where I was: Palmas Del Mar. Nothing there is wood.

P.S. I added clarification to my original post to say "where they have means" they don't build with wood.

Yea I know you knew that, your video was as intense as any. I know you apologized for the length but in fact the human element added a lot. Rather than just the chaser showing wind, it brought faces to the fear, much like Haiyan, Patricia

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HarveyLeonardFan said:

At the risk of sounding aggressively contrarian I doubt the validity of those 120 knot gusts in Naples. I saw all the reporters from twc and the three cable news nets and every reporter was able to continue standing up all the while remaining live, on air. And some of the networks were on balconies and elevated parking garages.

Max winds in a hurricane happen in narrow streaks. Winds will vary greatly even within one city. (See CELIA 1970 in Corpus Christi for good example of this.)

Whether or not folks can stand on downwind balconies or in parking structures is not a good way of assessing wind speeds. In Cat-5 Super Typhoon HAIYAN, I stood on a balcony during the worst of it. (It was stupid and I almost got killed, but I did it.)

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea I know you knew that, your video was as intense as any. I know you apologized for the length but in fact the human element added a lot. Rather than just the chaser showing wind, it brought faces to the fear, much like Haiyan, Patricia

Thank you so much, Steve! I really appreciate that. I was really tortured about the length, and in the end, I'm glad I included those elements. I'm psyched you feel like they add to it. Awesome.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, HurricaneJosh said:

Yeah, I was commenting about this on Twitter today. The wind data from the Keys in IRMA was really blah across the board. Just not impressed.

Mark Sudduth is coming out with a report from his remote data on the Keys

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Mark Sudduth is coming out with a report from his remote data on the Keys

Yeah, he mentioned to me he's going down to Marathon to get that station. I'm excited to see what he got. I love his work-- it's very cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell?

The public safety department says it’s the responsibility of funeral homes, crematoriums, and hospitals to notify and send or bring bodies to the forensic institute if they’re possible hurricane-related deaths.

But all 10 funeral homes and crematorium directors BuzzFeed News spoke to said they haven’t received any specific guidance on what they’re supposed to do with the bodies of people who died as a result of the hurricane. Ortiz confirmed to BuzzFeed News that no official guidance was sent to funeral homes and crematoriums, many of which take in bodies that don’t need to go to the hospital first.

Ortiz says the directors of the facilities should know better. “They know that the place that they do all the scientific investigations is at the institute,” she said. “The funeral homes are in constant communication with the institute because they’re the ones that bring the bodies and take them back.”

Still, cremating a body requires written approval from the forensic institute — which has the option to ask for the bodies to be sent to San Juan for examination before they’re burned. But the funeral and crematorium directors who spoke to BuzzFeed News said the institute has given them permission to cremate dozens of bodies of people who died of hurricane-related causes, and were not asked to send them to the institute.

Asked specifically about this, Ortiz reiterated it’s on crematoriums and funeral homes to communicate with the forensic institute if they think a death should be examined for inclusion on the death toll.

“We have heard,” that possible hurricane victims were being cremated without examination, Ortiz said. “We aren’t saying that they’re totally true or totally false. But what we are saying is, if you have a case like that, send us all the information to be able to look at it” before cremation.


https://www.buzzfeed.com/nidhiprakash/puerto-rico-cremations?utm_term=.ak8Bpg3PE#.jfRrwg4LW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy rains the past few days and issues with the spillway have put the Guajataca Dam under significant threat of failure. Placing this here as it's obviously still an aftermath issue by ol'Maria:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service San Juan PR
1110 AM AST SAT OCT 28 2017

The National Weather Service in San Juan has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for... A Dam Failure in...
Isabela Municipality in Puerto Rico...
Quebradillas Municipality in Puerto Rico...

* Until 1100 AM AST Sunday

*At 1120 AM AST, the Guajataca Dam remains in a compromised state. Residences and buildings down stream of this dam remain under a flooding threat should the dam fail. This situation is expected to continue for the next several days. This is a correction to remove San Sebastian.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
Community that have been ordered to evacuate over the past days along the Rio Guajataca and continue to be advised to not return. They are advised to comply with those order and not become complacent lured by a false sense of security. Should a complete failure occur this message would be followed by a Flash Flood Emergency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My complete MARIA report: 

http://icyclone.com/upload/chases/maria/iCyclone_Chase_Report_MARIA2017.pdf

I was on the SE coast of Puerto Rico, just a few miles N of the landfall point—a perfect location to get totally right-front-quadded. Needless to say, the conditions were ferocious. The most distinctive thing about this chase? Concentric eyewalls that brought two distinct wind maxima—separated by a marked lull—on the ground. This aside, I calculated air-pressure gradients up to ~7 mb/n mi in the inner core—among the highest I’ve measured. (PATRICIA still holds the crown: I calculated gradients well over 10 mb/n mi in that one).

In terms of intensity, data, and just wow-factor, MARIA is one of my greatest chases—maybe Top 3.

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HurricaneJosh said:

My complete MARIA report: 

http://icyclone.com/upload/chases/maria/iCyclone_Chase_Report_MARIA2017.pdf

I was on the SE coast of Puerto Rico, just a few miles N of the landfall point—a perfect location to get totally right-front-quadded. Needless to say, the conditions were ferocious. The most distinctive thing about this chase? Concentric eyewalls that brought two distinct wind maxima—separated by a marked lull—on the ground. This aside, I calculated air-pressure gradients up to ~7 mb/n mi in the inner core—among the highest I’ve measured. (PATRICIA still holds the crown: I calculated gradients well over 10 mb/n mi in that one).

In terms of intensity, data, and just wow-factor, MARIA is one of my greatest chases—maybe Top 3.

 

You saying maybe top 3 instead of being definitive makes me think Odile must have been nuts. At least that’s what I’m assuming must be the storm in question. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cmasty1978 said:

You saying maybe top 3 instead of being definitive makes me think Odile must have been nuts. At least that’s what I’m assuming must be the storm in question. 

 

ODILE is not in my Top 3. MARIA was worse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harvey was the costliest hurricane in US History.  But it appears PR is in a lot worse shape than Houston, so it appears Maria caused more damage to the local infrastructure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

yea wut? Crazy Mesos

 

Direction changes looked too fast to be mesos, it changed at least 5 times in 3 minutes.   My guess is it probably has something to do with the 1500ft ridge to the south of Yabucca disrupting the airflow.

58 seconds is the strongest gust, parked cars were skidding around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.