Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

3 hours ago, csnavywx said:

ERC progressing alarmingly rapidly per recon data and radar. Outer max already has stronger winds than the inner max. At this rate, she'll be done in a few hours.

Radar observations from the San Juan WSR-88D and wind data from an
Air Force Reserve Unit Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that
Maria has just about completed an eyewall replacement.  Based on
the now-dominant outer eyewall, the eye diameter has increased from
10 n mi to 30 n mi.  This has likely contributed to some weakening,
and based on the latest observations from the Hurricane Hunters, the
intensity is set at 135 kt which is at the top of category 4 range.

Looks like my call wasn't totally off-base after all,...just somewhat aggressive with the weakening.

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Radar observations from the San Juan WSR-88D and wind data from an
Air Force Reserve Unit Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that
Maria has just about completed an eyewall replacement.  Based on
the now-dominant outer eyewall, the eye diameter has increased from
10 n mi to 30 n mi.  This has likely contributed to some weakening,
and based on the latest observations from the Hurricane Hunters, the
intensity is set at 135 kt which is at the top of category 4 range.

Looks like my call wasn't totally off-base after all,...just somewhat aggressive with the weakening.

Figures it'd landfall at 155, Ray, just below Cat 5 intensity.  Now we can have the argument that since winds are reported at 5 mph intervals, why 157 is the minimum for Cat 5, and not 155!  Since a 157 mph wind would never be reported.  Of course, based on the observations, it's doubtful this was even 155 mph sustained on landfall.  More like 135-140.

Last Cat 4 landfall in PR was 1932- I wonder if that was the same storm that LF'd in Fla  too?

Just now, Paragon said:

Figures it'd landfall at 155, Ray, just below Cat 5 intensity.  Now we can have the argument that since winds are reported at 5 mph intervals, why 157 is the minimum for Cat 5, and not 155!  Since a 157 mph wind would never be reported.  Of course, based on the observations, it's doubtful this was even 155 mph sustained on landfall.  More like 135-140.

It intensified more than I had thought....so the difference is because of the 175 mph initial intensity....I was expecting like 155-160mph peak.

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It intensified more than I had thought....so the difference is because of the 175 mph initial intensity....I was expecting like 155-160mph peak.

Yeah none of the major models had it getting this strong.  What was the minimum pressure with this- 909, I think?  It was 914 with Irma.  But I think the HH dropsondes found somewhat lower pressures- 905 mb with Maria, and 910 mb with Irma.

Updated NHC statement -

WTNT65 KNHC 201034
TCUAT5

Hurricane Maria Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL152017
635 AM AST Wed Sep 20 2017

...MARIA MAKES LANDFALL NEAR YABUCOA PUERTO RICO...

Geostationary satellite images and surface observations indicate
that the center of Hurricane Maria made landfall near Yabucoa,
Puerto Rico, around 615 AM AST.

A sustained wind 60 mph (96 km/h) with a wind gust to 113 mph (182
km/h) was recently reported at Yabucoa Harbor, Puerto Rico.

A National Ocean Service tide gauge at Yabucoa Harbor, Puerto Rico,
recently reported a water level of 4.3 ft above Mean Higher High
Water (MHHW).

SUMMARY OF 635 AM AST...1035 UTC...INFORMATION
---------------------------------------------------
LOCATION...18.0N 65.8W
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM WSW OF VIEQUES
ABOUT 35 MI...55 KM SE OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...155 MPH...250 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 305 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...917 MB...27.08 INCHES

$$

Forecaster Berg

We can talk about weakening from wind speeds all we want, but to me, on satellite it just looks like she grew in size and lost a bit of that buzz saw look she had yesterday evening. Her coc is still robust and encapsulated by a large, symmetrical CDO, with copious deep convection. This 10 mb rise isn't going to lessen impact imo -- you lose 20 mph in max wind speed, but add severity to the surge and especially flooding as a result of heavy rainfall. Choose your poison--she looks quite healthy right now considering hours of mountainous land interaction leading up to LF.

• Like 2

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1mrxmmEjEzvxy

Supposedly Univision reporter.

Don't know where, but suspect San Juan.  Excellent quality video, still live.

Watching GMA, it's the same cam they sometimes show. I think ABC and Univision are partners. They've got a reporter on the ground in San Juan kinda just under that cam.

There was a tremendous burst of -70C cloud tops in the RFQ just prior to LF. Maria was likely intensifying and might have actually recovered enough to be a cat 5 at LF. 

Since then the eye on IR has completely contracted as Maria's center begins to interact with the mountains near the center of PR.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

There was a tremendous burst of -70C cloud tops in the RFQ just prior to LF. Maria was likely intensifying and might have actually recovered enough to be a cat 5 at LF. 

Since then the eye on IR has completely collapsed as Maria's center begins to interact with the mountains near the center of PR.

That was probably due to frictional convergence rather than intensification.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Since then the eye on IR has completely collapsed as Maria's center begins to interact with the mountains near the center of PR.

You mean an Andrew-like scenario?  That one was reclassified to a Cat 5 landfall.

30 minutes ago, bluewave said:

San Juan airport stopped reporting a few hours ago when the wind gusts reached 91 mph.

go_cgi.gif.2a90d0af4a9b70b00b294d17e986a679.gif

Chris, surrounding areas reported wind gusts in the 110s (113-118 mph).  Strongest gust I can find anywhere is 137-140 mph (112 sustained) on a small island just to the east of PR.