Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

ZCZC MIATCPAT5 ALL
TTAA00 KNHC DDHHMM

BULLETIN
Hurricane Maria Special Advisory Number  11
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL152017
800 PM AST Mon Sep 18 2017

...MARIA BECOMES A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE...
...THE EYE AND THE INTENSE INNER CORE IS NEARING DOMINICA...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM AST...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...15.3N 61.1W
ABOUT 15 MI...25 KM ESE OF DOMINICA
ABOUT 40 MI...70 KM N OF MARTINIQUE
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...160 MPH...260 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...925 MB...27.32 INCHES

They went with the 925 mb.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eyewall said:

From the 8pm advisory:

Wind speeds atop and on the windward sides of hills and mountains
are often up to 30 percent stronger than the near-surface
winds indicated in this advisory, and in some elevated locations
could be even greater.

Yeah, we're talking wind speeds that can debark trees, cause ground scouring and deform reinforced buildings.

• Like 3

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Product: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 19th day of the month at 0:07Z
Agency: United States Air Force 
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF97-5303 
Storm Number & Year: 15 in 2017
Storm Name: Maria (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 3
Observation Number: 06 ( See all messages of this type for this mission. )
A. Time of Center Fix: 18th day of the month at 23:30:20Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 15°15'N 61°01'W (15.25N 61.0167W)
B. Center Fix Location: 25 statute miles (39 km) to the E (100°) from Roseau, Dominica.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,488m (8,163ft) at 700mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 139kts (~ 160.0mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 8 nautical miles (9 statute miles) to the NNW (333°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 64° at 136kts (From the ENE at ~ 156.5mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 8 nautical miles (9 statute miles) to the NNW (333°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 928mb (27.41 inHg)
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 12°C (54°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,033m (9,951ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 21°C (70°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,037m (9,964ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 9°C (48°F)
K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Closed 
M. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 8 nautical miles
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 700mb
O. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 136kts (~ 156.5mph) which was observed 8 nautical miles to the NNW (333°) from the flight level center at 23:28:00Z
Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 180° at 40kts (From the S at 46mph)

Staying strong with the pinpoint eye. Will be interesting to see if terrain interaction sparks an ERC 

6 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

I don't see that recon has made their turn yet. The western wall is getting close to the eastern Dominica coast. We not get that NE pass after all. Perhaps they got spooked. There is a serious incline of elevation that could produce some horrific turbulance. That may be it, folks.

Its going to be really close. I think they'll be able to get a sliver of the NE eyewall. 

7 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

I don't see that recon has made their turn yet. The western wall is getting close to the eastern Dominica coast. We not get that NE pass after all. Perhaps they got spooked. There is a serious incline of elevation that could produce some horrific turbulance. That may be it, folks.

Looks like they're gonna go for it.

597955dfa35a21dc9b660bb4c6121844.png

• Like 1

I don't see that recon has made their turn yet. The western wall is getting close to the eastern Dominica coast. We may not be getting that NE pass after all. Perhaps they got spooked. There is a serious incline of elevation that could produce some horrific turbulance. That may be it, folks.

Okay nevermind this. They just made their turn north up the eastern side. So a NE to SW pass is coming. Holy crap this is going to be right down to the wire.

2 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Radar has almost Andrew-like appearance:

http://www.meteofrance.gp/previsions-meteo-antilles-guyane/animation/radar/antilles

(different track but Charley 2004 perhaps)

Heading straight for Roseau Dominica unfortunately, pray for a wobble. 

The satellite animation (drop down) on that page is even more amazing. The eye goes from non-existant to pinhole in the course of a few frames. 

There could be a major disaster in the making here and if anyone better connected than me (to large government or military resources) reads this, it would no doubt save lives down the road to begin plans for a rapid response, the local government will not only be overwhelmed, it could easily be obliterated. I envisage a combination of Homestead wind damage and Tacloban storm surge, thousands left with very little shelter and hundreds of injured in massive debris fields (all over the island basically but 75% of population lives in southwest quadrant). There will only be a small trickle of info coming out for 2-3 days but we could assume this need will exist starting in about an hour. Large French resources probably exist very close, although the way this thing is going, city of Basse-Terre will take quite a wallop and Pointe-a-Pitre a major storm surge so that will perhaps tie down those resources. 

This will be far worse than even St-Maarten. I don't think Roseau is protected at all by terrain or wind direction considerations because of the extreme intensity of this storm. Will be happy to be proven wrong but I expect the place to be flattened and exposed to 20-30 ft storm surge. (this also happened in 1780, and everything on Barbados was destroyed despite them being south of the eye). 

It should be noted that new moon is just 30 hours away and this will be an aggravating factor down the road in PR and eastern Dominican Republic storm surge potentials. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

There could be a major disaster in the making here and if anyone better connected than me (to large government or military resources) reads this, it would no doubt save lives down the road to begin plans for a rapid response, the local government will not only be overwhelmed, it could easily be obliterated. I envisage a combination of Homestead wind damage and Tacloban storm surge, thousands left with very little shelter and hundreds of injured in massive debris fields (all over the island basically but 75% of population lives in southwest quadrant). There will only be a small trickle of info coming out for 2-3 days but we could assume this need will exist starting in about an hour. Large French resources probably exist very close, although the way this thing is going, city of Basse-Terre will take quite a wallop and Pointe-a-Pitre a major storm surge so that will perhaps tie down those resources. 

This will be far worse than even St-Maarten. I don't think Roseau is protected at all by terrain or wind direction considerations because of the extreme intensity of this storm. Will be happy to be proven wrong but I expect the place to be flattened and exposed to 20-30 ft storm surge. (this also happened in 1780, and everything on Barbados was destroyed despite them being south of the eye). 

This will not be a Tacloban storm surge. Maria is not as big as Haiyan was in size nor has it been an intense hurricane for nearly as long as Haiyan was prior to landfall (i.e. two of the most important aspects for building a large storm surge).

There is no need to excessively hype an already dire situation.

• Like 7

Even though Roseau is not in a protected harbor and they are exposed, they have a rocky and elevated shoreline. The incline from sea bottom, shoreline is steep in places and the general overall topography rises to inhabited ridges. Though the wind damage could be catastrophic, I am hopeful based on geography and Maria's small vortex, surge will be limited.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Roseau looks like it will sustain a direct hit. It's hard to imagine what it's going to feel like for those people expecting a possible category 3 as of this morning.

Earlier this afternoon, a significant nw jog had me thinking the northern/northeastern coast was in the biggest trouble, and perhaps the capital in the sw would escape the worst, but an equally-big west jog has taken the eye right into the south half.