• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

It's worth noting that the central islands are much more populous than the northernmost islands Irma trashed.  Barbuda and Tortola were home to 1600 and 23,000, respectively, while Guadeloupe, Dominica, and Martinique are home to 405,000, 73,000, and 386,000.  A major cane directly hitting Guadeloupe, which is currently along the forecast track, would be a severe blow.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks like the first time in the satellite era that 3 hurricanes as intense as Irma, Jose, and Maria passed through the Hebert Box #1 in one month or a complete season.

http://climate.ncsu.edu/climateblog?id=91

As a total side note when Gmail started I took out the name herbertsbox.  So my email address is [email protected]   After signing up I realized it should be  herbertbox not  herbertsbox.  People always ask me what herbertsbox means.  No one knows but a true tropcial weenie like me...  Okay, back to Maria....

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, JC-CT said:
37 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:
As a total side note when Gmail started I took out the name herbertsbox.  So my email address is [email protected]   After signing up I realized it should be  herbertbox not  herbertsbox.  People always ask me what herbertsbox means.  No one knows but a true tropcial weenie like me...  Okay, back to Maria....

Hebert...

Jeez never caught that too. I'm so lame thanks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Good thing they haven't rebuilt anything on Barbuda yet.  JFC.

I read an article on Friday. They evacuated Barbuda for Jose, everyone. As of Friday nobody had returned to the island. Not sure if/when people will return as they are lacking the dollars and supplies to rebuild there infrastructure. 

On another note this has put a huge hurt on eastern Carib cruising. As of now St Maarten, St Thomas have been shut down. Many cruises now headed toward Dominique and St Kitts to replace affore mentioned islands. These islands rely on cruising as a major part of there economy and if Dominique and St Kitts get shut down for awhile it could really be bad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coopdog said:

I read an article on Friday. They evacuated Barbuda for Jose, everyone. As of Friday nobody had returned to the island. Not sure if/when people will return as they are lacking the dollars and supplies to rebuild there infrastructure. 

On another note this has put a huge hurt on eastern Carib cruising. As of now St Maarten, St Thomas have been shut down. Many cruises now headed toward Dominique and St Kitts to replace affore mentioned islands. These islands rely on cruising as a major part of there economy and if Dominique and St Kitts get shut down for awhile it could really be bad.

Then the cruising industry should be donating huge sums of cash to the relief and rebuilding efforts. The cruise lines have made a fortune on the backs of these islands and I hope they remember that now in the lesser Antilles biggest time of need.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Then the cruising industry should be donating huge sums of cash to the relief and rebuilding efforts. The cruise lines have made a fortune on the backs of these islands and I hope they remember that now in the lesser Antilles biggest time of need.

Cruise lines have made several stops in st Maarten and st Thomas with provisions. Just about any ship that has gone by has dropped something off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shaggy said:

Before you comment, maybe go to their website and see the donations. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/hurricane-disaster-relief

Also, the road goes both ways. The islands would have not have gotten where they are without tourism revenue. I hope the ports open soon so money will begin bringing local economies back to normal. 

https://skift.com/2013/09/25/the-caribbean-islands-most-dependent-on-cruise-business/

• Like 1

At 11 pm, Maria was centered at 12.5°N, 53.7°W. Maria was continuing to track to the west. Maria is expected to gradually add a northerly component to its motion. However, over the last 6 hours, the NHC track was nudged somewhat south and westward through 72 hours (about 40 km by hour 72).

Until Maria begins to add latitude, climatology will likely understate its landfall prospects. Taking into consideration the EPS and GEFS, as well as climatology that excludes select storms that remained largely on a westward trajectory through the duration of their existence, it appears that Maria has an approximately 40% probability of making U.S. landfall (excluding Puerto Rico).

• Like 5

The new intensity forecast is similar to the previous forecast in
calling for Maria to become a hurricane in 24 h and a major
hurricane in 72 h, and it lies at the upper edge of the intensity
guidance.  However, rapid intensification is a distinct possibility,
and it would be no surprise if Maria got significantly stronger than
currently forecast.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

These write ups are great. What would be awesome is if you could do the day 3 and/or day 5 NHC forecast positions as well. Maybe even create a weighted average (maybe like 40% current, 40% d3 and 20% d5). Obviously would be a lot of work, assuming you do it manually, but it would be a genuinely helpful metric for forecasting.

I will periodically focus on the hour 72 mark, as by hour 120 the NHC's errors grow quite large. Hour 72 could provide better insight into actual trends associated with tropical cyclones' paths.

2 hours ago, SN_Lover said:

Before you comment, maybe go to their website and see the donations. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/hurricane-disaster-relief

Also, the road goes both ways. The islands would have not have gotten where they are without tourism revenue. I hope the ports open soon so money will begin bringing local economies back to normal. 

https://skift.com/2013/09/25/the-caribbean-islands-most-dependent-on-cruise-business/

No doubt they are helping big with current provisions that are needed badly. Financial donations to help rebuild infrastructure like water and electric is more what I was referring to.

She is slowly building what looks like a small CDO. If she manages to get a nice core built tonight then the islands might be in trouble.

Just now, hawkeye_wx said:

Obviously, the models will continue to flop around with Jose's future several days out, but tonight's euro is the first model run that shows a scenario in which Maria can still hit the US even if Jose gets blocked and meanders along the US coast.  Jose would have to sit over the cold water and die out.

The closer to the coast track and some sheer weaken Jose a lot more. Seems like the closer Jose can get to the coast, the greater Maria's chance. 

Maria into NC/SC border on the Euro as a strong hurricane

Yes and more insane is the processes for landfall are completely opposite from last night's 00z run. The ECMWF stalls Jose for so long that it begins to fill the 500 mb vort and raise heights. First, I don't ever recall that occurring with a tropical system off the Mid-Atlantic coast. The Force is strong with that block.

Jose's 500mb vort gets completely filled and dissipates. Strong heights build back over the Mid-Atlantic and Maria gets driven inland. Oh well, this is all still a long time out in fantasy land and probably won't happen, but still fascinating for such a solution to be modeled.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just a remarkable amount of intensity and activity in such a short time there. Almost like we are seeing some type of rebound effect after years of of dry air and suppression in that region. So we swing from one extreme to the other.

Did Irma's path and intensity create any limiting factors to Maria once it gains latitude?  Upwelling or removal of heat content?  NHC seems bullish on Maria's intensity prospects, and the current path is very concerning for some of those smaller islands and PR.

I can't find the map right now but it appears Maria will track south of Irma's wake and cooled waters. Little effect expected.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, TPAwx said:

Did Irma's path and intensity create any limiting factors to Maria once it gains latitude?  Upwelling or removal of heat content?  NHC seems bullish on Maria's intensity prospects, and the current path is very concerning for some of those smaller islands and PR.

Upwelling isn't an issue given the time elapsed since Irma. 

usatlant.c.gif