Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

The dates are off by a week with 2015 being later. I made a note to take a photo on the same date next week. The biggest take away for me is that there Is essentially no color on them this year, just brown and dropping. 

Same here. Although many of the Norwegian maples have been struck by that fungal disease known as tar spot, everything else has been dull. This is the 3rd or 4th summer where foliage has been lackluster. It's also been no coincidence that we've had some prolonged dry stretches during those summers too.

12 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I took this yesterday at the Willey House

FB_IMG_1508029318005.jpg

You should have posted this upside down to see if anyone noticed.

Color is fine in this area.  King Arthur Flour is so crowded most days I think we will be avoiding it the next couple of weeks.

Just flew the drone to compare Oct 16 2017 to Oct 16 2016.  Same drone, same route, same time of day, same standard camera settings.  Couple of things to point out.  Wind is blowing today so I noticed the underside of the leaves are showing making the forest appear kinda weird.  The underside of leaves are lighter.  So you're getting that strange appearance.  Foliage is way behind last year and not bright at all.  Perhaps with the nice weather this week we will catch up to last year.   

I'm in CON and the wind has caused a lot of leaf drop on the maples. Most of the oaks have barely any color. The oaks usually lag, but it's been a strange season in just how far apart the timing has been. It's hard to say we're completely behind when it's mostly just the lousy oaks.

18 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

and take the %$#(@$#&# acorns please. last year was a heavy acorn year. this year has been unreal, like at least 2-3x more acorns. even DIT would have given up on cleaning them up by now.

Yup..this is the worst acorn year for the White Oaks in my 12 falls in this house. I have given up.. No-one likes Oaks if they have them in their yards. Acorns, brown stringy things, leaves never changing and staying on all winter. They are the dirtiest of dirty trees

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup..this is the worst acorn year for the White Oaks in my 12 falls in this house. I have given up.. No-one likes Oaks if they have them in their yards. Acorns, brown stringy things, leaves never changing and staying on all winter. They are the dirtiest of dirty trees

you're neighborhood is full of oaks, right? my sister's house is in a neighborhood with probably 90% oak trees. i don't know how people can do it. Oak trees do suck, i can't stand them for the reasons you stated. but this year the never ending acorn assault has got me thinking about firing up the chain saw. i only have a couple of them, and i have been trying to keep up with the acorns. i just cleaned them up on Saturday, and when walking around the yard today, there are even more than there were 1 week ago. 

1 minute ago, etudiant said:

Oaks support a lot of critters in addition to squirrels, so maybe keep the chain saw on hold. 

then why can't the little rodents eat all the freakin' acorns? plenty of squirrels, chipmunks, and other woodland creatures, and still billions of acorns in the lawn. besides, there are plenty of other oak trees on the planet to feed the little bastards.

4 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Oaks support a lot of critters in addition to squirrels, so maybe keep the chain saw on hold. 

Yep, major food source around here for Turkey, raccoon, skunk, squirrel etc. Also a pillar of human development and world exploration with oak being a major shipbuilding material over the last 500 yeras.

16 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Yep, major food source around here for Turkey, raccoon, skunk, squirrel etc. Also a pillar of human development and world exploration with oak being a major shipbuilding material over the last 500 yeras.

3 out of 4 species good for nothing and Earth a better place without them and the other we kill and eat for the holidays 

Archived