Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

how does climate change affect foliage? You have a wide range of avg temps up and down the mtns and you get great foliage at every elevation. You can get good foliage well south of New England where it's warmer on avg as well. It's just been one of those years where we didn't get the normal progression. We got the maples going early and then went back to summer. 

4 days with temps in the 90s, does not seem like a normal up or down to me.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

The Mohawk picture was taken with bright sunlight directly overhead, so the color looks bleached. I thought the middle picture was nice but that's my opinion. CT is not the ideal foliage state.

I didn't mean to take anything away from the quality of the pic. The middle one is nice.

6 hours ago, eyewall said:

For many there was no true peak this year, just pockets of good color and as you said so much variability with green trees next to ones that are nearly bare.

I know you said, "for many" and not "everyone" but I will disagree anyways, haha... I was poo-pooing the foliage earlier, there was definitely a "peak".  I just needed to be more patient and wait for the heat to roll out.

I think down in SNE it'll happen at some point, people will be like, ok now its peak.  Some of those photos from Litchfield County look pretty darn peak-like now.

Here's what I think are "peak"...

22424642_10103194242494300_8041353925096

Aq6fER4.jpg

Another thing for me is looking out over the landscape and seeing the red/orange hue across the land...and this season had that too.  When you just look out and its orange.  It certainly wasn't as crazy vibrant as some other falls but I think I was wrong a while ago and just needed to wait a bit more. 

jGWsSdX.jpg

21 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

It's definitely stick season above 2K in VT. ~90% leaf drop with just a few stragglers left, particularly the beeches in the understory, which are a copper color. Peak was probably around Columbus Day, but that rain and wind from the remnants of Nate brought down a lot of the brighter colors just as things were peaking. Like a lot of places, this was one of the more disappointing foliage years I've ever seen around here. Some drone photos of the foliage.

rsz_dji_0013.thumb.jpg.cfc66cc28f4222a1be72e5481b85ff8b.jpg

Yeah that qualifies as stick season, lol.  Not much left there in S.VT high terrain either it looks like.

On 10/20/2017 at 0:47 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Whites are past peak.  We are just passing peak here in the NW Lakes Region.  Yesterday might have been peak day but lots of leaves coming down.  The one exception is the oaks which are just starting to turn their golden brown.  I posted a drone flight a bit back in my thread from 2 days ago.   Really pretty poor color in my area this year...

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

This foliage season really has baffled me.   Still so much green in my area.  The maples are mostly past but most other tree species have not.  Oaks are mostly green.  Very little change this week but has never looked like this on Oct 21rst.  Of course we are running near record warmth.  A week has past since I posted the first picture below.  I had my other smartphone with me today so its not a direct comparison but you get the idea.  Still very green up at 1400 feet.  It's hard to believe that in N VT its bare.  I wonder if we will have any power issues this upcoming week with strong winds and trees still mostly in full leaf?   First picture is Oct 14th second picture was from today,  Oct 21st.

Gene... not going to lie but these two posts seem to contradict each other?  Lots of green and very green up to 1,400ft or passing peak? 

I'm very surprised you are very green up to 1,400ft...hard to believe as my climate is a bit cooler than yours but not by that much.  You gotta search to find anything green up here in the RT 100 corridor valley bottom at 700ft...and you need to search for leaves in general above 1,500ft.

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I know you said, "for many" and not "everyone" but I will disagree anyways, haha... I was poo-pooing the foliage earlier, there was definitely a "peak".  I just needed to be more patient and wait for the heat to roll out.

I think down in SNE it'll happen at some point, people will be like, ok now its peak.  Some of those photos from Litchfield County look pretty darn peak-like now.

22424642_10103194242494300_8041353925096

Aq6fER4.jpg

Another thing for me is looking out over the landscape and seeing the red/orange hue across the land...and this season had that too.  When you just look out and its orange.  It certainly wasn't as crazy vibrant as some other falls but I think I was wrong a while ago and just needed to wait a bit more. 

jGWsSdX.jpg

My pictures from Killington look similar and we definitely had peak foliage around Columbus Day. But it was really quiet this year with a lot fewer people out to see the foliage. Are times I had route 100 entirely to myself heading south to MT Snow.

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I read in Vermont Today as early as 2000, speculation that climate change could ruin the foliage. From recent memory 2013 and 2017 where bad. It's also bad on tourism, C. and S. Vermont where dead these past few weeks. I heard from friends who cancelled vacation stays in Vermont for foliage. 

Man not up here... for fuks sake these peepers are insane.  Even this weekend, past peak, lots of bare trees, and town is a sh*tshow.  We got bombarded at the mountain because summer/fall activities are done for the season (we closed last Sunday) but town is still packed with all hotels full...and they were quite disappointed to find the Gondola/TollRd/Zipline closed (but also shows that they did no research as those dates are well published by like Memorial Day).  It being 70F and full sun didn't help...but normally this time of year no one wants anything to do with the mountain as its usually 43F and raining or slate gray.

If anything, I would say this fall's weather boosted business...even if it hurt the leaves.  Very few rainy days (actually only one real all-day rainout) and most of the time it has been 100% sunshine with warm afternoons and chilly mornings.  People love that weather.  If you see its going to be 70F and sunny this weekend in foliage land in Vermont...that's like President's Weekend in February with a forecast of sunshine and a high of 30F. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Man not up here... for fuks sake these peepers are insane.  Even this weekend, past peak, lots of bare trees, and town is a sh*tshow.  We got bombarded at the mountain because summer/fall activities are done for the season (we closed last Sunday) but town is still packed with all hotels full...and they were quite disappointed to find the Gondola/TollRd/Zipline closed (but also shows that they did no research as those dates are well published by like Memorial Day).  It being 70F and full sun didn't help...but normally this time of year no one wants anything to do with the mountain as its usually 43F and raining or slate gray.

If anything, I would say this fall's weather boosted business...even if it hurt the leaves.  Very few rainy days (actually only one real all-day rainout) and most of the time it has been 100% sunshine with warm afternoons and chilly mornings.  People love that weather.  If you see its going to be 70F and sunny this weekend in foliage land in Vermont...that's like President's Weekend in February with a forecast of sunshine and a high of 30F. 

Not your area, but the NEK, is where friends cancelled hotel reservations.

Yeah that qualifies as stick season, lol.  Not much left there in S.VT high terrain either it looks like.

The western slopes of the greens in SVT still have some pretty nice red colors even up to 2500ft, I guess the western exposure and more warmth and sunlight are the difference in the delay.

Bad photo from a good distance away, but this was todays view out backyard, you can see its not stick season quite yet, but it is over the ridge tops and in the high spots east of the spine like in the photos mitch was posting

20171020_151533.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I wonder what causes certain pockets of trees to really flourish. My guess is the soil around here. Since it's just glacial garbage...Trees like oaks probably do best. You go to other areas of SE MA where soil is better and wetter because of low lands...you have those beautiful maples...no Norway maples as you said. Also lots of white pine. I'm on a small hill that is filled with crap soil and ledge, so we oak I guess.

Nearly all trees do best in deep, well drained fertile soils.  However, one finds them where they are able to compete, first for sunlight and then for water and nutrients.  Tamarack needs full sun, and that's rarely available on the fertile sites but common in wetlands.  Give it the lead on  good site and it will hold on to it.  Oak tolerates dry times better than most other hardwoods.  It's also mid-tolerant of shade, fast growing, and long lived, a combo that often allows it to dominate, at least from southern Maine southward.  Sugar maple and beech are very tolerant of shade, and can seed in beneath less shade-tolerant species and eventually take over.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Of course the picnic tables managed to salvage something out of a crap pattern...;)

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Gene... not going to lie but these two posts seem to contradict each other?  Lots of green and very green up to 1,400ft or passing peak? 

I'm very surprised you are very green up to 1,400ft...hard to believe as my climate is a bit cooler than yours but not by that much.  You gotta search to find anything green up here in the RT 100 corridor valley bottom at 700ft...and you need to search for leaves in general above 1,500ft.

PF,  you are totally right.  I made contradiction statements.  I also said this foliage season has baffled me and I am not sure what is going on.  We seemed to have a peak last week with the sugar maples.  Yet so much of the forest was still green.  In the last 24 hours the colors have rapidly increased in the general forest.  This morning was the best color I have seen, at least up at the top of my hill at 1400 feet.  Yesterday it seemed much more green, see my smartphone picture.  This morning the colors seem to be increasing quickly.  I took the drone up there for a quick fly around.  There is that big pine patch but you can get an idea.  Lake is at 587 so I'm flying 900 feet above.  It is much more green around the lake but that is because of the warm water.  Now I'm guessing the "2nd' peak might be tomorrow?  Ha,  I should just stop why Im ahead and let the pictures speak for themselves...   

Foliage is actually incredible and not so dull around Dover/Durham/Raymond in SE NH. Much better colors at high/peak around here than northern areas last two weeks. Still not the best year, with yellow leaves slightly on the dull side, but it's satisfying to see after few weeks of hunting for good colors.

On 10/15/2017 at 7:31 AM, dendrite said:

Is that the same date?

On 10/15/2017 at 8:29 AM, IrishRob17 said:

The dates are off by a week with 2015 being later. I made a note to take a photo on the same date next week. The biggest take away for me is that there Is essentially no color on them this year, just brown and dropping. 

I took another photo today since the weather is moving in tomorrow. There’s some hope in spots around here but not in my yard so much

5CF208B0-FB8C-4F5C-9018-34A3974A0D8A.jpeg

Found the best foliage of the year so far (which doesn't say a lot, granted) at the Miles Wildlife Sanctuary near West Cornwall this morning. Never been there before... really nice place with a loop around a pond/lake and some rustic outbuildings adding interest to the landscape. When I focused in on individual trees, I was really impressed by the vibrancy of some of the maples, etc. Here's a snapshot showing the broader image which includes a lot of green, a lot of bare trees, and the spots of neon red in between.

Another cool thing was seeing a mature bald eagle fly overhead along the Housatonic near the covered bridge. Always an awesome sight.

vsGUIgj.jpg

Archived