• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

Whites are past peak.  We are just passing peak here in the NW Lakes Region.  Yesterday might have been peak day but lots of leaves coming down.  The one exception is the oaks which are just starting to turn their golden brown.  I posted a drone flight a bit back in my thread from 2 days ago.   Really pretty poor color in my area this year...

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's definitely stick season above 2K in VT. ~90% leaf drop with just a few stragglers left, particularly the beeches in the understory, which are a copper color. Peak was probably around Columbus Day, but that rain and wind from the remnants of Nate brought down a lot of the brighter colors just as things were peaking. Like a lot of places, this was one of the more disappointing foliage years I've ever seen around here. Some drone photos of the foliage.

rsz_dji_0006.thumb.jpg.16b267739c5d1fd1641b2a8b2eef0fde.jpgrsz_dji_0013.thumb.jpg.cfc66cc28f4222a1be72e5481b85ff8b.jpgrsz_dji_0014.thumb.jpg.dc6ff3a899be9a52b3c3b99cba80cdd9.jpg

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I was out and about in the lowlands of SE MA and color is actually decent. Typical maples are dropping already. Oaks are finally starting to turn with some goldens and a few reds noticeable on them. I assume red leaves means red oaks?

I've seen red oaks that go straight to brown - the 20" by 80 ft specimen near the house is one - and others with a subdued but nice auburn.  White oaks can add some purplish, and if you have some pin oak a bright red is likely.  (Pin oak also has abundant horizontal, or even a bit downward, branches.  Not native to Maine but often planted as a street tree.)

Except for that one oak, which still has most of its leaves, it's 90% sticks at my place.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I've seen red oaks that go straight to brown - the 20" by 80 ft specimen near the house is one - and others with a subdued but nice auburn.  White oaks can add some purplish, and if you have some pin oak a bright red is likely.  (Pin oak also has abundant horizontal, or even a bit downward, branches.  Not native to Maine but often planted as a street tree.)

Except for that one oak, which still has most of its leaves, it's 90% sticks at my place.

Pretty sure I have multiple species of oaks in my yard. I'll have to get a pic of the leaves and bark to see if you can identify. 

Oaks used to be a staple tree I guess back in the day. Where I live now, ship building was big and the colonists used all of the oaks around this area to assist with that. Much of the area was clear cut. Now, the oaks are back...and as much as I curse the across...they are one hell of a sturdy tree. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty sure I have multiple species of oaks in my yard. I'll have to get a pic of the leaves and bark to see if you can identify. 

Oaks used to be a staple tree I guess back in the day. Where I live now, ship building was big and the colonists used all of the oaks around this area to assist with that. Much of the area was clear cut. Now, the oaks are back...and as much as I curse the across...they are one hell of a sturdy tree. 

I want tamarack to ID my trees too. 

I'm pretty sure it's mostly maple in the back of my lot, with some pine sprinkled in. No Norway maples though, so that's a good thing.

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I want tamarack to ID my trees too. 

I'm pretty sure it's mostly maple in the back of my lot, with some pine sprinkled in. No Norway maples though, so that's a good thing.

I wonder what causes certain pockets of trees to really flourish. My guess is the soil around here. Since it's just glacial garbage...Trees like oaks probably do best. You go to other areas of SE MA where soil is better and wetter because of low lands...you have those beautiful maples...no Norway maples as you said. Also lots of white pine. I'm on a small hill that is filled with crap soil and ledge, so we oak I guess.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wonder what causes certain pockets of trees to really flourish. My guess is the soil around here. Since it's just glacial garbage...Trees like oaks probably do best. You go to other areas of SE MA where soil is better and wetter because of low lands...you have those beautiful maples...no Norway maples as you said. Also lots of white pine. I'm on a small hill that is filled with crap soil and ledge, so we oak I guess.

My subdivision has a lot of area classified as wetland (not like marsh, but just persistent ground water and drainage into the Presumpscot) so I guess I'm not surprised if it's a lot of red maple and white pine.

This foliage season really has baffled me.   Still so much green in my area.  The maples are mostly past but most other tree species have not.  Oaks are mostly green.  Very little change this week but has never looked like this on Oct 21rst.  Of course we are running near record warmth.  A week has past since I posted the first picture below.  I had my other smartphone with me today so its not a direct comparison but you get the idea.  Still very green up at 1400 feet.  It's hard to believe that in N VT its bare.  I wonder if we will have any power issues this upcoming week with strong winds and trees still mostly in full leaf?   First picture is Oct 14th second picture was from today,  Oct 21st.

Foliage Oct 14.jpg

Oct 21 2017.jpg

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

This foliage season really has baffled me.   Still so much green in my area.  The maples are mostly past but most other tree species have not.  Oaks are mostly green.  Very little change this week but has never looked like this on Oct 21rst.  Of course we are running near record warmth.  A week has past since I posted the first picture below.  I had my other smartphone with me today so its not a direct comparison but you get the idea.  Still very green up at 1400 feet.  It's hard to believe that in N VT its bare.  I wonder if we will have any power issues this upcoming week with strong winds and trees still mostly in full leaf?

Foliage Oct 14.jpg

Oct 21 2017.jpg

For many there was no true peak this year, just pockets of good color and as you said so much variability with green trees next to ones that are nearly bare.

2 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

4 days in the 90s is what really killed the foliage, you seem to think as do I it's the future of falls going forward.

Probably the first thing we’ve ever agreed on. It sucks , but it’s a different regime than we had growing up. The first noticeable /tangible aspects of our climate moving towards DC/Philly 

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Probably the first thing we’ve ever agreed on. It sucks , but it’s a different regime than we had growing up. The first noticeable /tangible aspects of our climate moving towards DC/Philly 

I read in Vermont Today as early as 2000, speculation that climate change could ruin the foliage. From recent memory 2013 and 2017 where bad. It's also bad on tourism, C. and S. Vermont where dead these past few weeks. I heard from friends who cancelled vacation stays in Vermont for foliage. 

how does climate change affect foliage? You have a wide range of avg temps up and down the mtns and you get great foliage at every elevation. You can get good foliage well south of New England where it's warmer on avg as well. It's just been one of those years where we didn't get the normal progression. We got the maples going early and then went back to summer. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

how does climate change affect foliage? You have a wide range of avg temps up and down the mtns and you get great foliage at every elevation. You can get good foliage well south of New England where it's warmer on avg as well. It's just been one of those years where we didn't get the normal progression. We got the maples going early and then went back to summer. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/local/experts-expect-worst-season-in-years-for-fall-foliage/2017/10/17/57dde1a8-b2fe-11e7-9b93-b97043e57a22_story.html

Archived