SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The foliage network posted this interesting tidbit for the Northeast yesterday:

October 16, 2017

The progression of fall color continues in the Northeast.  As we've stated in past reports, this foliage season is very odd, to say the least.  For most locations, there won't be a true peak in the color.  This is due to a combination of some early color that has now past, some trees whose leaves simply turned brown and dropped, and a current mix of trees that have completely changed and a bunch that are still green.  However, please be aware that there is great color to be seen, but complete landscapes of fall color will not be found this season.

Leaf drop is on the rise, with at least moderate leaf drop across the region.  The reasons can be found in the previous paragraph. That, and windy conditions yesterday into today.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

the nuance of symbiotic relationships are not understood by many.

Oak is a great building and burning wood.  Acorns are an important food source for the aforementioned mammals but was also widely used by local natives for flour and protein.   Skunks and raccoons can get a bit annoying with their behaviors but are still pretty fun to watch. 

I took another drive this morning up to Northeast Connecticut looking for some decent fall foliage color. Routes traveled where 190 East to Soapstone Mountain and then south from there to I-84, East to Mashpaug Pond. From there I went East on 171 to 44 and then west to Coventry, Bolton, Ellington, Somers and home. Honestly the best fall color that I could find was closer to home in Ellington/Somers.

Bolton Pond/Ellington:

Bolton Lake (Medium).JPG

Ellington (Medium).JPG

4 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Anyone familiar with the current  foliage conditions in New Hampshire? I'm thinking about heading up there on Saturday.

Whites are pretty much post-peak. I'm not familiar on how mid-elevation areas are doing right now, but we're still in low/moderate color here in Dover and around Portsmouth.

Archived