Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

14 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just took the drone up for some foliage views in my hood around Newfound Lake.  Very little color.  I am thinking of heading up to Franconia Notch but just don't know if its worth it.  I can't believe peak colors would be only 35 miles north of me with so little here.  

It looks to me like you have primarily a Northern Red Oak woodland there, which makes sense if you're on a drier SW exposure as they prefer those environs. The oaks change later than the maples, ashes, and birches. The little bit of color you see are the maples.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Friday, the Killington area was on the cusp of spectacular.  Over the weekend, Lake Carmi was sporadically and brilliantly red in the bogs and along the lake, while hills showed color was on the way.  Lots of leaves down in the park.  Down here in the lower Champlain Valley, the oaks and maples are showing orange, with some trees (mostly ash) having dropped all their leaves.

Then it rained.  And after the rain there was a transformation within 12-24 hours of the rain.  It happened so fast.  Maybe it was the dry conditions that were hurting the foliage...3 weeks with nothing more than 0.05" and then it finally started raining this week and the foliage started going off.

First day after the rain:

4hSVxpp.jpg

Second day after the rain... October 7th.  This was the explosion day.  The day when you were like, holy sh*t what just happened?  It was the talk of the town, how quickly the leaves went from pure crap to some vibrant reds mixed with the yellow and orange.

yWOwxSi.jpg

oCW9wTk.jpg

Then more rain... October 7th...these cloudy and misty days really bring out the colors.  The foliage definitely looks more vibrant and saturated in these conditions.

NQx4C06.jpg

Then yesterday.... October 8th... was our true peak color.  Today's 1"+ of rainfall brought down a lot of leaves, so I think we basically had a 2-3 day window of great color that somehow was centered on Columbus Day Weekend, so the tourists got a great show.  Back on Labor Day Weekend, I would never have imagined peak would be when it was.  At the pace we were going in early September, it looked like peak colors would be the last week of September.  Then it got hot and dry.

Whatever tree is the one turning yellow...the yellows were some of the brightest I can remember.  Like western aspen groves color yellow.  Maybe they are aspens?  lol.

fWTfeRl.jpg

grSR9TV.jpg

84Q8CaD.jpg

5JzocTX.jpg

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Then yesterday.... October 8th... was our true peak color.  Today's 1"+ of rainfall brought down a lot of leaves, so I think we basically had a 2-3 day window of great color that somehow was centered on Columbus Day Weekend, so the tourists got a great show.  Back on Labor Day Weekend, I would never have imagined peak would be when it was.  At the pace we were going in early September, it looked like peak colors would be the last week of September.  Then it got hot and dry.

fWTfeRl.jpg

grSR9TV.jpg

84Q8CaD.jpg

5JzocTX.jpg

I second this post, describes this foliage season accurately around here too.  Much better pictures than I could do though. I will say that I played golf up at Jay Peak on the 15th and I thought the leaves were ahead of schedule and were actually looking like it was going to be a very bright year. Then we went through all that record warmth and dryness and it just slammed to a halt. It did end with a nice flourish though. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Whatever tree is the one turning yellow...the yellows were some of the brightest I can remember.  Like western aspen groves color yellow.  Maybe they are aspens?  lol.

fWTfeRl.jpg

grSR9TV.jpg

84Q8CaD.jpg

5JzocTX.jpg

Still looks a little muted. Not bad, but not as vibrant as it could have been without the heat.

I am kind of bummed I just missed absolute peak in VT as I left for an NC trip but I definitely caught it in the ADK's and surprisingly again north of BGM in NY. Unfortunately I didn't get my epic drone shot of peak color but I certainly have no shortage of foliage shots in my collection. Now it is time to look forward to winter aerials once again. At least this time with the mavic it will be easy to fasten handwarmers to the battery :)

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

All of our yellows are very vibrant...aspen, birch, ash, etc. The red maples seem to be their usual vibrant red/orange as well. The oak are late as usual, but those with some color seem fairly dull. I wish they would all change at once.

Family driving up from SNJ were quite complimentary on the colors around our area, even though their trip hit SVT/SNH on the way.  Our 0.4 mile road is typically weak on reds, while this year they are better than usual, though on the whole I'd label the season as a "disjointed" (thanks to the early color) but average year - and average in the foothills is beautiful indeed.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Family driving up from SNJ were quite complimentary on the colors around our area, even though their trip hit SVT/SNH on the way.  Our 0.4 mile road is typically weak on reds, while this year they are better than usual, though on the whole I'd label the season as a "disjointed" (thanks to the early color) but average year - and average in the foothills is beautiful indeed.

Pretty much sums it up. My girlfriend was getting gorgeous pics this time last year down in the Winni River valley, yet those early maples are almost completely bare right now. So you have a mix of green oaks, near peak maples, and the early swamp/river maples that are bare. Usually those river maples hold on a bit longer and the oaks are showing more yellow/orange by now.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Someone that posts here says it’s vibrant and brilliant there while every other town in the state is suffering thru a bad season 

Huh?  It's not worth going back to older pages, but on this one I saw two posts that used the word "vibrant".  On one, it was prefaced by "not as", while the other came from central NH.

Crappy color in my area.  Many trees decimated by caterpillars earlier this year plus just not a great year for good colors.

In my experience, when defoliated trees set a 2nd crop of leaves, the colors are crummy - probably not enough time to produce the chemicals that blaze.

Archived