Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It finally rained last night and the foliage below about 1,800ft exploded.  Big difference from yesterday to today.  If I have time I'll post 24 hour comparison shots later.  Maybe it's the lighting today or something but looking good in the base area all the sudden.  The higher elevations are a lost cause.

Maybe it was just the power of suggestion after reading your post but it looks better to me too. Not spectacular but brighter. I wondered whether it was the lighting too. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Leef peeper crowds are incredible here.  Town is like gridlocked with Stowe PD directing traffic at like 4 intersections to keep things moving.  

Columbus Day Weekend rivals any weekend in the winter.  

So true. Headed to dinner in Littleton and 302 at Bretton Woods looked like 128 in Boston. Main street in Bethlehem is packed. And all of the 9 rental properties we have are booked. Works for us! The funny thing is that we also are quite busy the next 2 weeks, when I suspect there won't be much left at our elevation 

4 hours ago, WxBlue said:

Much better in Dover!

Mt. Major might be a great hike next weekend... although it'll be crowded as heck.

I'm down near you tonight and tomorrow for the snowmobile grass drags. The foliage has improved and there were some really bright spots all the way down 89 to Concord and then over 101 to Epping. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Last year definitely was much better at this time. However, there definitely is some vibrant color in spots. Later than last year for sure.

PF, there was a massive line heading off 93 and heading to I-89 north. I'm not surprised at the traffic you saw. 

How's 93? I had the day off yesterday and wanted to head to the Kanc, but Lisa wasn't interested in dealing with showers...so we're left with going up on the Sat of Columbus Day weekend. We did that once before and it was a disaster in Lincoln and North Conway.

36 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just took the drone up for some foliage views in my hood around Newfound Lake.  Very little color.  I am thinking of heading up to Franconia Notch but just don't know if its worth it.  I can't believe peak colors would be only 35 miles north of me with so little here.  

I can tell you on my drive from the ADK's through the hills north of Binghamton, NY that it changed rapidly in short distances. From nearly green to peak in just a few miles and back again. As I said above cascade mountain on 73 in the ADK's had lots of leaf drop and was moving past peak.

57 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How's 93? I had the day off yesterday and wanted to head to the Kanc, but Lisa wasn't interested in dealing with showers...so we're left with going up on the Sat of Columbus Day weekend. We did that once before and it was a disaster in Lincoln and North Conway.

I got up yesterday so have no idea how 93 is today. I have to imagine it's busy, but maybe avoid Kanc and take some backroads west of 93.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Last year definitely was much better at this time. However, there definitely is some vibrant color in spots. Later than last year for sure.

PF, there was a massive line heading off 93 and heading to I-89 north. I'm not surprised at the traffic you saw. 

It's like Cape Cod on July 4th weekend.  Bumper to bumper everywhere haha.

Leaves are at peak foliage and it's better than I expected.  Still not like previous years but good enough to satisfy.

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just took the drone up for some foliage views in my hood around Newfound Lake.  Very little color.  I am thinking of heading up to Franconia Notch but just don't know if its worth it.  I can't believe peak colors would be only 35 miles north of me with so little here.  

Wow. Yes it's like a different world just a bit North of you 

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

I tried the Old Man and the Kanc today. Don’t do it. 

Oh man why?!  Haha.  I can't even imagine judging by the crowds here.  Its crazier than any winter holiday or vacation week. 

My 5 minute drive home was filled with a lot of this... people pulled over up and down the road taking photos of every tree like they've never seen a leaf before.  50mph Zone but with traffic it's moving about 20mph.

rNuQ7yJ.jpg

Some foliage shots from today and yesterday at/around Stowe...we are at peak color.  Amazing difference in only 72 hours or so.

Work this morning...we enjoy the early morning hours at work usually with a drive up the Toll Road to 4kft to enjoy our coffees.

22255131_10103189033074020_7304311222681

Here's one from yesterday...

22289640_10103187994914500_8155275303315

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Oh man why?!  Haha.  I can't even imagine judging by the crowds here.  Its crazier than any winter holiday or vacation week. 

My 5 minute drive home was filled with a lot of this... people pulled over up and down the road taking photos of every tree like they've never seen a leaf before.

I get a kick out of the folks pulling over on state highways. If you want to peep leaves, go to a state park or something. Why snap a blurry, Sasquatch pic from the road while trying to make sure your door isn’t taken off the hinges?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

My 5 minute drive home was filled with a lot of this... people pulled over up and down the road taking photos of every tree like they've never seen a leaf before.

rNuQ7yJ.jpg

GF's mom is out here for a week and wanted to see it for the first time. I wanted to go yesterday, but the gf wasn't too keen on it with the showers so we decided to go today since the wx looked better. Oops. It rained all afternoon and the gazebo at 2800ft was thick in the clouds. Plus we dealt with traffic in Lincoln and along the trailhead exits in Franconia Notch. Kind of a disaster of a 6hr trip. Was breezy and 54F at the gazebo when we pulled in. Next time she needs to come out on any other weekend than Columbus day. :lol:

Archived