Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

I finally went north to Crawford Notch State Park for first fall photography session in hope of getting snow-tipped Whites to north of it. Impressive area!

Snow melted too quickly for the shot I wanted, but I had a blast hiking Mt. Willard trail and exploring otherwise. Still a little early for colors inside the pass (about 10-30% changeover), but colors were fairly muted/brown in higher elevation regions surrounding Mt. Washington (where it's about 40-70% changeover). However, I did see pockets of decent colors in lower elevation areas so maybe there's some hope for later in the foliage season?

Did you loop back down and back through the Kancamagus?  If you haven't done that yet, it's a must do. 

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Did you loop back down and back through the Kancamagus?  If you haven't done that yet, it's a must do. 

Not yet, but I drove on Blue Ridge Parkway last four autumns back in North Carolina. I'd imagine it'll be similar to that.

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I hiked Osceola last weekend, and despite the so-so foliage at that point it's still a nice ride through there.

Is it worth going back up there during peak tourism season for a so-so foliage or should I look somewhere else in hope for better colors? NH 16 was frustrating today with long line of cars and RVs.

5 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Not yet, but I did drive on Blue Ridge Parkway last four autumns back in North Carolina. I'd imagine it'll be similar to that.

Is it worth going back up there during peak tourism season for a so-so foliage or should I look somewhere else in hope for better colors? NH 16 was frustrating today with long line of cars and RVs.

It's another hour by car, but Grafton Notch State Park just over the border in ME is another nice area to explore and probably less crowded too. I can't vouch for the foliage there this year, but in past years it's been vibrant.

I've noticed a lot of the sugar maples turning yellow or brown and dropping leaves early around here. Upon doing some research, the cause appears to be septoria leaf fungus, which is likely a consequence of the wetter than normal conditions we experienced in the spring and summer. I've seen it in past years as well, but it was notably absent last year due to the drought, resulting in one of the nicer fall foliage seasons we've had recently.

https://treedoctor.msu.edu/sites/default/files/docs/Common Diseases of Maple.pdf

While I don't think it's detrimental to the trees in any way, septoria is unsightly and definitely puts in a damper on the quality of the fall foliage. The Norway Maples (and to a lesser degree the red maples) have tar spot fungus, also causing early leaf drop on more severely infested trees. The red maples should hopefully still be decent though.

fullsizeoutput_229.jpeg

16 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It's another hour by car, but Grafton Notch State Park just over the border in ME is another nice area to explore and probably less crowded too. I can't vouch for the foliage there this year, but in past years it's been vibrant.

I'll think about stopping by. Thanks for the info!

20 hours ago, WxBlue said:

I finally went north to Crawford Notch State Park for first fall photography session in hope of getting snow-tipped Whites to north of it. Impressive area!

Snow melted too quickly for the shot I wanted, but I had a blast hiking Mt. Willard trail and exploring otherwise. Still a little early for colors inside the pass (about 10-30% changeover), but colors were fairly muted/brown in higher elevation regions surrounding Mt. Washington (where it's about 40-70% changeover). However, I did see pockets of decent colors in lower elevation areas so maybe there's some hope for later in the foliage season?

That's a fun hike. Next time you should also try Middle Sugarloaf off of the Zealand area, 2 miles past Bretton Woods. It's an easy/moderate hike but the fall views from the peak are incredible!

I took a trip around today and I would definitely say it is a lost year. There were muted reds/maroons that were almost brown in some cases but nothing spectacular. Everything else seemed to be faded green and browning out and dropping leaves. I saw plenty of trees with green leaves but with half of them dropped. Not good.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I was up to Mt Snow yesterday and the foliage color was dissapointing to say the least. Lots of still green Oaks mixed with red and brown foliage. 

Oaks are always late, maybe 2 weeks after the maples - just hinting at color up here.  We're getting some color on sugar maples after the recent cooler days, but like others I think this to be a below average year.  That's disappointing, considering how bright the early changers were 4 weeks ago, but even a BN fall will be pretty.  (The only exception in my years here was 2005, which I've lamented on here before.)

21 hours ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I've been up and down the Maine coast and into the Whites.  Foliage everywhere is muted ... not a good year.  

I'm back in Stowe and nothing has changed in a week.  Looks pretty muted and crappy.  From Montreal down through the northern Greens there was nothing even worth stopping to take photos of.  And for someone like me that's saying something haha.

I'm usually very upbeat about foliage.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Oaks are always late, maybe 2 weeks after the maples - just hinting at color up here.  We're getting some color on sugar maples after the recent cooler days, but like others I think this to be a below average year.  That's disappointing, considering how bright the early changers were 4 weeks ago, but even a BN fall will be pretty.  (The only exception in my years here was 2005, which I've lamented on here before.)

I was just pointing out what the foliage is like in S. Vermont. Oak change around here and into S. Vermont  is around 10/31. This is usually about a week after the non Oaks are bare. In N. Connecticut the majority of the foliage is green, lush and healthy (away from drought stricken Tolland) so I'm hopeful for good quality color change over the next month.

24 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I was just pointing out what the foliage is like in S. Vermont. Oak change around here and into S. Vermont  is around 10/31. This is usually about a week after the non Oaks are bare. In N. Connecticut the majority of the foliage is green, lush and healthy (away from drought stricken Tolland) so I'm hopeful for good quality color change over the next month.

Not sure what part of N CT you’ve seen but nowhere is lush and green foliage. There’s about 30% change and it’s dull and brown/ rust. In case you haven’t been in the state in awhile .. it’s very very dry 

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Not sure what part of N CT you’ve seen but nowhere is lush and green foliage. There’s about 30% change and it’s dull and brown/ rust. In case you haven’t been in the state in awhile .. it’s very very dry 

I've seen my town with healthy green foliage as well as Granby, to Winstead, Torrington and back to Somers. I disagree that it's very very dry. We had so much rainfall this summer a few weeks of dry weather won't hurt much, especially this late in the growing season.

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I've seen my town with healthy green foliage as well as Granby, to Winstead, Torrington and back to Somers. I disagree that it's very very dry. We had so much rainfall this summer a few weeks of dry weather won't hurt much, especially this late in the growing season.

Except that it’s been exceptionally dry since early August . And the foliage is very dull and has been noted by many CT posters .

While we don`t want rainfall to excess, this could produce a period
of widespread soaking rain, which is much needed due to the
predominantly dry conditions we experienced during August and
September

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Except that it’s been exceptionally dry since early August . And the foliage is very dull and has been noted by many CT posters .

September

Today was the first day in a long time I noticed some areas of brown torched grass around these parts.  I honestly haven't seen that up here in town.  

It always seems very lush around these parts, even during dry spells but there's definitely some actual brown areas here and there.

Very odd fall season so far.  

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today was the first day in a long time I noticed some areas of brown torched grass around these parts.  I honestly haven't seen that up here in town.  

It always seems very lush around these parts, even during dry spells but there's definitely some actual brown areas here and there.

Very odd fall season so far.  

Lawns across all of CT are roasted. I travel TOL to Farmington daily and all over the state on weekends for soccer. It’s exceptionally dry everywhere . I was in Rocky Hill and Monroe on Saturday and Somers on Sunday. All Uber dry with dull foliage 

58 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

September

I was up to Springfield, Northampton, Greenfield and S. Vermont and the foliage is 90% green, not unhealthy or dull. There was little to no color change south of route 2. Id rather have no rain going towards peak foliage, just non scizoprenic temperatures.

It finally rained last night and the foliage below about 1,800ft exploded.  Big difference from yesterday to today.  If I have time I'll post 24 hour comparison shots later.  Maybe it's the lighting today or something but looking good in the base area all the sudden.  The higher elevations are a lost cause.

Some very bright red maples along the northerly 10 miles of my commute, trees that had not changed much in the early Sept. coolness. (Those that did change back then have 50-75% leaf drop.)  Sugar maples just starting to color.  We may make an average color season after all.

No rain here last night, though northern Aroostook got sluiced.  The guy on the rider mower outside of the office is blowing a lot of dust out the chute, along with the occasional grass clipping.

5 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, I don't know. Might be a delayed, but not totally denied year down here.   The Hills are getting redder each day this week. Might actually be some decent pockets for the Columbus Day weekend leaf peepers.

Oh there are and will be pockets...but it won't be a season with 1000s of acres of bright red like the past couple seasons.  

It's more fragmented.

I am on the way to NC and too a quick detour into the ADK's and caught peak color on 73 below cascade mountain to the Northway and south on the Northway to exit 29. It was very vibrant as well. I will have to see if i got any useful shots. There were also pockets of high color to peak in the hills along I88 north of Binghamton and in portions of PA on I81. Where it was peaking it was again quite vibrant.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Hearing reports from friends of really nice foliage  color around the Killington area today.

Today was pretty good in the lower elevations of the mountains.  Amazing change with a little rain last night for the stuff that didn't change in early September before the heat.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Today was pretty good in the lower elevations of the mountains.  Amazing change with a little rain last night for the stuff that didn't change in early September before the heat.

My town changed a lot since yesterday. We have about 15-20% color change with some nice reds, Golds and orange. Better color than I saw in Vermont.

Archived