Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2017

powderfreak

18 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Why would it get dull? You're still getting some cooler nights there. I don't see how a sudden warm spell would dull colors out...unless something else was i the works. Has it been dry?

Yeah it has been dry but it was wet all summer and even early September.  

I've got some photos I'll try to post later.  It's very odd though.  Lots of leaf drop and what were good colors are now brown.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it has been dry but it was wet all summer and even early September.  

I've got some photos I'll try to post later.  It's very odd though.  Lots of leaf drop and what were good colors are now brown.

Heat is bad for colors, simple as that. Warm falls like 2007 always have meager color, whereas cooler falls like 2008 have great colors. That was my experience at Middlebury. 

The reason the colors lack vibrancy in recent years is because it's so much warmer later into fall. 2007 was one of the warmest Octobers on record, and 2015 was one of the warmest Septembers on record. When the warmth is greater later into the fall, leaf drop accelerates due to declining daylight without the concomitant chlorophyll related color changes which are more temperature dependent. 

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just bland.

Everything that was vibrant 7-10 days ago is brown and dropping leaves...still good green so hopefully when that changes it'll get better.

Once it got hot it immediately went to sh*t.

UWz2Hvm.jpg

tQJSNow.jpg

This bowl is usually some of the best color.

VG4sZiM.jpg

boy you aren't kidding. the leaves went straight to brown and are dropping fast. might be a very unspectacular foliage season if this keeps up

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Is anyone knowledgeable on how long peak lasts in a given location? I was thinking of going to Heart Lake and Mt. Jo outside of Lake Placid on Friday. They are reporting 85% change there and nearing peak in spots. Will Fri be too late?

My past experience is that area is peak around 9/30, so you should be good. Honestly I prefer Vermont more for foliage viewing, the mountains are closer to the road than in the Adirondacks. This allows for close up foliage, rather than landscape scenery. Route 100 is better than anything in the Adirondacks IHMO.

3 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Yes very disappointing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah it was a lot better on Labor Day Weekend.  The way the first ten days of Sept went, if that continued we'd be at peak now.  Instead it went to like a torched brown on anything that had started turning.

Im still hoping the 50% or so left that are green will still give some good color in October.

Yeah it was a lot better on Labor Day Weekend.  The way the first ten days of Sept went, if that continued we'd be at peak now.  Instead it went to like a torched brown on anything that had started turning.

Im still hoping the 50% or so left that are green will still give some good color in October.

At idleltyme. Man, I swear I'm at Disney Land. Lol

18 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

At idleltyme. Man, I swear I'm at Disney Land. Lol

Ha some good stuff there.  So many brews.  I might grab a burger from there later.  You are like less than a half mile on the Rec Path from where I live.  My posts probably make more sense now when I talk about "town" like where Idylltime is vs. the 5 miles up the road at the resort base area.

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

C'mon down. Buy u a beer

Ah thanks man...I would but I'm up in Morrisville buying some travel stuff as the wife and I are heading overseas for a week on Tuesday.  Gotta stop at a couple places before they close.  I surf the internet while she  debates what travel size crap to buy lol.

I was in my woods (clay-plain forest, lots of oak, maple, ash, hickory, hophornbeam, pine) and was surprised by how many brown maple leaves were on the ground.  The ash trees are hell-bent on dropping leaves, pretty much going straight from green to brown without any hint of yellow.  The overall color of the woods is still green, but it was definitely odd to see some maples doing their best ash imitation.  Oaks haven't started turning yet.  Still 10-14 days before typical peak here in the Champlain Valley, so crossing fingers that things will all work out.

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, I was up on Osceola Friday and was surprised how dull it was around the Kanc. And it also looked like every birch had already dropped their leaves. A very odd look.

That's what it is more than anything... a ton of leaf drop mixed with green and brown landscape.  Easily the most bizarre foliage season so far I can remember.  A quick early turn and then just goes to crap almost immediately once it warmed up.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's what it is more than anything... a ton of leaf drop mixed with green and brown landscape.  Easily the most bizarre foliage season so far I can remember.  A quick early turn and then just goes to crap almost immediately once it warmed up.  

70 degrees hiking up the mountain wasn't fun either. I was pretty spent by the time I hit the first summit. It's amazing how warm that can feel when you're headed up terrain.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

70 degrees hiking up the mountain wasn't fun either. I was pretty spent by the time I hit the first summit. It's amazing how warm that can feel when you're headed up terrain.

Yeah this is full mid-summer heat unlike anything we had up here in July/August.  Our summit station at the top of the Gondola 3,600ft had a low of 66F last night, I'll have to double check but fairly certain that is the warmest min up there this warm season.  I think 63F was the old highest.

I haven't noticed anything abnormal here. Still some bright color in spots...it seems like everything just froze in time though for over a week. The fruit tree leaves are dropping, but mostly just the ones with some scab. I haven't noticed any browning or dull leaf drop otherwise. We've had almost 4" of rain on the month though and nothing too warm until the past couple days.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I haven't noticed anything abnormal here. Still some bright color in spots...it seems like everything just froze in time though for over a week. The fruit tree leaves are dropping, but mostly just the ones with some scab. I haven't noticed any browning or dull leaf drop otherwise. We've had almost 4" of rain on the month though and nothing too warm until the past couple days.

Yeah it's weird... Mansfield has had over 6.0" of rainfall this month and I think your temps and mine in the valley have been very similar during this time?

I just think the cold in August got things going... I mean August was -3 as a month and a lot of that was in the final two weeks.  There was a 2-week stretch there into early September of like -8 for a mean at least at the ASOS sites like MVL/MPV/1V4.

I don't think I've ever seen so much color around Labor Day weekend.  Temps got down to near freezing, with valley highs in the 50s to start the month.  It seemed like the trees almost panicked and just immediately closed shop then.  Like weeks early.  Then it got warm and things just seem very confused.

Mansfield has now rattled off 10 straight days of departures of +11 or greater.  Yesterday was +19.8. 

I do find the foliage and weather mix a fascinating topic in terms of trying to figure out what is going on.

Here are the daily average temperatures this month at MMNV1... coldest day of the month was September 1st and warmest day was September 24th (likely to be beat today on the 25th).

In my photos there is a very distinct change from roughly September 12th and after that date the color just shut off and stuff went brown and started falling.  I bet what we'll end up seeing this fall foliage season is that anywhere that was really starting to turn in early September got hosed, while places still green now will have a much better foliage season once it gets cold again. 

This pattern change resulted in a solid 10-20 degree rise in mean temps from the first 10 days of the month.  And the precip also shut off.  6" of rainfall in the first 10 days and 0.03" after that.  Crazy how September 1st was almost 30 degrees lower in the mean than yesterday was.

Untitled.jpg.02085027f2ba45f08d1bbeef807a0dd4.jpg

Archived