Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming to you from SWVA 33 and rain. Yeah if this event had just been a little colder at least in my case I would have been hammered more then I already was before 2:00 PM. About around the time it changed over I had accumulated 3 to 3.5 inches and it hasn't stopped raining since. The snow totals in Bland should be really impressive.

Spent almost the entire night riding with my buddy in his wrangler  in Boone helping get people unstuck. +1 good Samaritan point.

This storm may not have been exactly what we were looking for, but it definitly goes down as the most fun to track and come up with a forecast for this season imo. Models were having difficulty handling it even down to gametime. I wouldn't mind if this was the last event of the winter. Gonna go and try and get some good pics.

The ZR accrual really kicked in from about 10pm-2am. Was surprised we were still below freezing at 9am. Drove to church in Sugar Grove and it was night and day difference. About 3.5” of snow, .5” IP and probably .1-.2” ZR. Drove out Winkler Creek Rd. around 1pm and was surprised at how much was still in the middle of the road. They had visibly more ZR accrual near Trout Lake. Pretty cool storm for end of March! Oh and I got some awesome pics today I’ll be posting to my Facebook over the coming days. (www.facebook.com/NelsonAerialProductions)

9 hours ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Had a 20 minute snow shower right around 8pm.  Was pretty cool to see..

I don't think it will be the last one either.  The sun may be gaining some ground but the March pattern doesn't want to give up.  Looking to me we still have a few weeks before any significant spring pattern shows up.

From Ray's Weather Center:

Then Saturday... Low pressure develops in East Texas Friday and moves across the Gulf Coast States Saturday before exiting off Cape Hatteras early Sunday. Even though it's April, that's a mighty fine storm track for an April snow in NW NC. Stay tuned. Skies clear Sunday with chilly temperatures.

From GSP:

Incidentally, we are aware that the operational GFS would have some of the precip falling as heavy snow across the NC mountains, with a stripe of snow out over the Piedmont,

3 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

From Ray's Weather Center:

Then Saturday... Low pressure develops in East Texas Friday and moves across the Gulf Coast States Saturday before exiting off Cape Hatteras early Sunday. Even though it's April, that's a mighty fine storm track for an April snow in NW NC. Stay tuned. Skies clear Sunday with chilly temperatures.

From GSP:

Incidentally, we are aware that the operational GFS would have some of the precip falling as heavy snow across the NC mountains, with a stripe of snow out over the Piedmont,

We really are compensating for February at this point. 

Archived