Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AirNelson39 said:

You didn’t get much last Wednesday? Brad P said last night that the snow will pick up in intensity as the day goes on with the heavier stuff happening in the evening and he thinks General 4-5” with 5-8+ for the peaks.

I got most of mine from the first part of the storm, then about an inch and a half from the NWFS. Only have had 2 or 3 NWFS events since I've been up here (9years) that have produced more than that.

27 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Man, it's pouring here. I measured almost 5 inches an hour ago. It's pretty loaded upstream. This should continue for a while.

Nice!  It looked on radar like you should be doing well.  I am hoping darkness helps here. The sun angle has killed us here.

I got most of mine from the first part of the storm, then about an inch and a half from the NWFS. Only have had 2 or 3 NWFS events since I've been up here (9years) that have produced more than that.

I thought pretty much all of the Wednesday event was NWFS?

Anyway, this event has been absolutely abysmal here in Boone. Maybe an inch and the radar doesn’t look too great imo for Watauga and Ashe.

53 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Nice!  It looked on radar like you should be doing well.  I am hoping darkness helps here. The sun angle has killed us here.

I measured 4 at 4 pm, 6 at 6 pm. So, if you do the math, that's a foot at midnight!:snowman: I too noticed that even at 20 degrees all day the sun still hurt us some.

1 hour ago, SnoJoe said:

I measured 4 at 4 pm, 6 at 6 pm. So, if you do the math, that's a foot at midnight!:snowman: I too noticed that even at 20 degrees all day the sun still hurt us some.

The rates have increased...or the sun going down made a big difference.  Just a hair under 9" now.  

What's this I hear about this weekend? Lol

The wind is ripping! We've had steady snow for the last few hours and it's starting to make the pavement really icy. I've genuinely enjoyed this weather today because I believe we are finally closing the book on this winter. Back to golfing and wet wading the rivers for trout. 

24 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

The wind is ripping! We've had steady snow for the last few hours and it's starting to make the pavement really icy. I've genuinely enjoyed this weather today because I believe we are finally closing the book on this winter. Back to golfing and wet wading the rivers for trout. 

10-4...our garden sets are beginning to sprout and the ducklings and chicks need to get out of the house...they're a mess.  Bet Watauga will be closed again

My math didn't work. I don't have 10 inches at 10 pm but I do have 8. Great rates between 8 and 9. Layed down a solid inch. Seems to be drying up now but a nice little storm for late March. 

That puts me at 52 inches for the year which is still below normal but over 50 the winter levels up to "decent". 

3 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

My math didn't work. I don't have 10 inches at 10 pm but I do have 8. Great rates between 8 and 9. Layed down a solid inch. Seems to be drying up now but a nice little storm for late March. 

That puts me at 52 inches for the year which is still below normal but over 50 the winter levels up to "decent". 

I just froze walking the dogs.  My pajamas do nothing to stop the wind. I ended up with 9.5" which puts me at 57.5" on the season.  This has been a great first high country winter for us.  My kids are sick of snow days (#22 or 23 tomorrow) and I'm ready for the beach now.  

10 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Did you not know; groundhog came out March 2, saw his shadow and 6 more weeks of winter. 

11 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Euro/gfs/RGEM/icon are all good hits for the northern mountains. Euro/gfs especially. NAM is less than enthused. Definitely an interesting storm for March. I suspect WSWs will go out for Watauga/Avery overnight.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Avery-Yancey-Mitchell-
Including the cities of Ingalls, Banner Elk, Newland, Swiss,
Burnsville, Celo, Micaville, Ramseytown, Busick, Spruce Pine,
and Poplar
430 AM EDT Fri Mar 23 2018

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
SUNDAY MORNING...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow
  accumulations of up to 2 inches, with localized amounts up to 4
  inches. Ice accumulations of around one tenth are also possible.

* WHERE...Avery, Yancey and Mitchell Counties.

* WHEN...From Saturday morning through Sunday morning.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions.
  Significant reductions in visibility are possible.

NWS (RNK) Blacksburg 10:21 am update....

"The main thing that changed from yesterday's forecast for this event is not so much the amounts, but more the exact track of the storm system and where the heaviest snow will likely fall. Given the tight, compact nature of this Alberta clipper type system, significant variations in snow amounts will occur over a short distance. Yesterday the model consensus track was from central WV through west central Virginia then toward north Central/Northeast NC. Latest models, including even now the 06z NAM, have shifted the track about 100 miles further southwest, now through the New River valley and more northwest NC then north central NC. As a result, the heaviest snow has shifted from yesterday's thinking closer to the i64 corridor and the Greenbrier valley into the southern Shenandoah Valley more now to the New River valley and the mountains of southwest Virginia and northwest NC. Again, there will be a sharp gradient in snow amounts from potentially 8+ inches in the core of the heaviest snowfall"

Winter storm warnings are up now.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC
321 PM EDT Fri Mar 23 2018

NCZ033-049-050-240330-
/O.UPG.KGSP.WS.A.0003.180324T1200Z-180325T1600Z/
/O.NEW.KGSP.WS.W.0004.180324T0400Z-180325T1600Z/
Avery-Yancey-Mitchell-
Including the cities of Ingalls, Banner Elk, Newland, Swiss,
Burnsville, Celo, Micaville, Ramseytown, Busick, Spruce Pine,
and Poplar
321 PM EDT Fri Mar 23 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO NOON
EDT SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation expected. Total snow
  accumulations of 2 to 5 inches, with localized amounts up to 7
  inches, and ice accumulations of around one tenth are expected.
  A quarter of an inch of ice will be possible across Avery
  County.

* WHERE...Avery, Yancey and Mitchell Counties.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to noon EDT Sunday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Plan on difficult travel conditions.
  Expect significant reductions in visibility at times.

Archived