Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

My updated forecast from GSP.  They seem... optimistic...

Yeah I've been surprised how bullish both GSP and Blacksburg have been with this one. Guess we'll see if it pays off or not. Not impressed by the NAM/HRRR, at least not outside the favored higher elevations. 

3 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

8-16 inches, man I don't even know what that would be like. We can't even get that in a season. Enjoy, must be nice!

I moved from Columbia SC because I wanted winter.  It's paid off thus far. Another .25" and I reach 48" on the season. 

7 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Should start snowing soon. Temps are down to 32.8. The lack of enthusiasm for this storm is pathetic. 

It's snowing pretty hard up here.  It's coming Joe!

Today has been amazing.  Climbed into the upper 50's this afternoon, then had a thunderstorm, and now it's snowing.  March has not disappointed.

10 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Man I love these late season snows. You can already tell cold air is funneling into the south central mountains. Best if luck fellas.

Nice to hear from you Met, hope you are doing well, a few flakes coming down this morning; looking forward to full day of it.

7 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Should start snowing soon. Temps are down to 32.8. The lack of enthusiasm for this storm is pathetic. 

yeah i'm surprised there was not a thread.  it must be like when ski resorts close when there's still good snow on the mountain, because in the flatlands its 60 or 70 degrees and everyone's thinking spring. Hope you guys get a good one. 

10 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Man I love these late season snows. You can already tell cold air is funneling into the south central mountains. Best if luck fellas.

this thread is not the same without you, but thanks to your influence its still the coolest thread around.  Hope you have been getting a lot of snow. 

Happy for snow fans up high today! We are sending you some more from Tennessee. Couple of our sub-forum members report equal or greater results than last week. They are on the Upper Cumberland Plateau and over toward the Tri Cities. 

They had better diurnal timing for sticking snow overnight, but NC will still get the following: cyclonic northwest flow, winds gradually veering more perpendicular to the mountains, short waves in that flow, and near saturation up to the DGZ dendrite growth zone.

Last couple weeks feel surprising after the February debacle, but at elevation March usually meets expectations if something is forecast. March offers more moisture (usually) and in these cases more instability (lapse rates) in the transition season. Enjoy!

Archived