Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

18 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

It kinda hit me today that I'm not truly ready for spring. It's mid-feb. I want more snow and more cold. This time a month from now....sure, let's move on to spring. This is also a brutal blow to the ski resorts and I feel bad for those folks. 

At least this year they got January and part of December to work with, it's been worse the past several years compared to this one. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least this year they got January and part of December to work with, it's been worse the past several years compared to this one. 

Yeah. They said last year was terrible - we were up over a weekend a bit back.
Was hoping something would happen for next week - snake eyes.
At least i will get my Brick Oven Pizza fix.

. Pro

1 hour ago, nrgjeff said:

Colder pattern comes in when lift tickets go on discount. Anybody know how the snow is doing at the ski areas? Might even get winter systems in March!

It's currently 64° here in Wolf and only getting down to the low 50s at night...so not so great for our ski resort.

2 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Colder pattern comes in when lift tickets go on discount. Anybody know how the snow is doing at the ski areas? Might even get winter systems in March!

I think APP is gonna try to stay open. The only other left undecided is Sugar, and it wouldn't surprise me if they closed too.

Guys we all know that winter is not over for us in the mountains, March is usually very brutal as far as winter weather, sorta surprised the ski slopes closed so early.  I think everyone in the mountains will see cold and snow yet, maybe a couple of snow systems.  

55 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

I think our chance of seeing some snow next week and the week after are looking pretty good for the mountains of wnc.

I'm trying not to sound too negative since I absolutely want warm weather now instead of snow lol, but the chances for at least a really good NWFS are increasing, and could be potent for our entire subforum to see a bit of action *Have not looked at the 12z run yet of the GFS*

Ray says nail it down or lose it.

The big news in this forecast is one of the bigger wind events I've seen in the High Country in the past 20 years. A NW wind increases tonight with gusts to 60 mph later tonight, then in the 70 mph range Friday night. Higher elevations will be off the charts. Make preparation today. 
Otherwise, expect rain today becoming showers this afternoon and evening. Colder air crashes the party tonight. Snow showers and flurries are possible beginning around midnight and lasting into Friday morning (dusting at most but who could measure it anyway?). Skies clear late Friday. Saturday is chilly and windy (but not as windy as Friday).

46 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Not a very pleasant day to get home from vacation. But maybe I'll see a flurry zoom by tomorrow. Things look pretty sloppy around here. Must have been pretty rainy the past 10 days. And warm. Some of the yellow bells have started to bloom and there are buttercups everywhere.

We hit 70 a few days ago up here.  Just an unbelievable stretch of mild weather while you were gone.  Back to reality now though, down to 39° already.

Archived