Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

11 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

You can really tell when the pattern goes to crap on here lol...the crickets came out.  

Nice steady 45° rain in the high country this morning, so now it's extra-extra muddy but at least the ice is gone until later tonight. 

Boy it has been raining buckets this morning. Just a good downpour. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Someone talk me off the ledge. I feel like winter is done. 

*Edit* I know we may get more snow, but as far as a big storm coming, I'm sensing that the pattern may not be of any help. 

This upcoming pattern for the next 10 days + (unless models change) will have virtually a 0% chance of anything except for maybe a decent NWFS event. Gonna be march before we have a chance at a big one again. 

Personally, we could end winter right now and I would be happy considering the La Nina. Not too shabby. I'm at the bottom of the cliff, not because I think we're screwed, but I'm ready for spring.

1 hour ago, BooneWX said:

*Edit* I know we may get more snow, but as far as a big storm coming, I'm sensing that the pattern may not be of any help. 

I lived below Columbia SC for most of my life.  This has been the snowiest winter I've had by far (30.5".) I'm kinda ready for spring.  

4 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I lived below Columbia SC for most of my life.  This has been the snowiest winter I've had by far (30.5".) I'm kinda ready for spring.  

After a couple of over performing systems, I guess I was just hoping for Boone to meet average (34). Then again, Spring is never a bad thing! It gets me back in the water to fly fish and back on the golf course. 

14 hours ago, Buckethead said:

In the less than likely event the PNA goes positive and NAO goes negative you might be getting the NWF snow in March and April:snowing:

That said; I am ready for spring as well:sizzle:

20 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Yep looking at the forecast why can't we get 3 or 4 days of snow, its always rain, heck I would settle for an inch or two at this point.  :wacko:

3 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Highcountry snows through March. With a SSW and possible -NAO I think plenty is left above 3,000 FT. Honestly I'm really bearish overall, but the Mountains is a different universe in March.

would you think us that live around 2,100 feet would get some of that?  :snowwindow:

I rode up to Gatlinburg from Atlanta.  Up 441 from just after Cherokee  to Newfound Gap has snow on the ground.  The top was amazing at 9:15pm tonight.  I’ve never seen so many stars in my life.  It was truly an amazing sight with the light snow ground cover plus the massive piles of snow that had been plowed sitting around.  Just a magical moment to be in the mountains at 5000’+ at night with snow on the ground and clear skies that made the star gazing perfect.  Even had a nice chill in the air at 29 degrees at the top. 

0DA1C0A3-6856-4575-A735-6CADC8D577CE.png

16 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

The warm temperatures are one thing, but I feel bad for the ski resorts here in WNC having February turn into a monsoon season. 

At least December and January were kind to them this Winter.

They are going to have a tough time maintaining snow. I see no shots to even make snow over the next 10 days. Hopefully their snow pack is substantial enough to survive it, but idk. It's a grim outlook for sure. 

Some pretty nasty rain looks to be moving in tomorrow and Sunday.  I’m still here in Gatlinburg until Sunday afternoon.  Looks like a pain train of rain is on the way. 

This is one of my favorite getaways from the city.   The scenery is just beautiful.  Some much beauty all around.  I will never forgetting last night and seeing the stars from new found gap. I seriously envy those of you who get to live in the Smokey’s and Bule ridge at elevation.   When I retire I’m going to make sure I get a home in that area.  Above 3k.  The wife likes the beach so it’s a constant give and take to get mountain trips! 

Archived