Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

My temp has dropped 9° in the last 75 minutes.  Currently 32° and sunny mud on the mountain. 

My temps are crashing as well. Wind is really starting to pick up too. And you're right about the mud. Good Lord.

Off topic, but is anyone else experiencing ads at the bottom of the page? Is this site now one that you'll have to pay to get rid of them? Very annoying.

3 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

My temps are crashing as well. Wind is really starting to pick up too. And you're right about the mud. Good Lord.

Off topic, but is anyone else experiencing ads at the bottom of the page? Is this site now one that you'll have to pay to get rid of them? Very annoying.

It has been an ongoing battle since Christmas.  Here is the link to the ongoing thread about this.

1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:

Yeah the 3k really blasts the Grandfather area. Best totals I've seen it spit out in a while. Angle may help us this time.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

How do you think boone fares in this one? I have lots to learn with NWFS. I know the 3 years I've been up here they have been very disappointing for the most part.

How do you think boone fares in this one? I have lots to learn with NWFS. I know the 3 years I've been up here they have been very disappointing for the most part.
I hope pretty well. I just moved here in 2015 and yeah it's sucked the last 2 years. West end of the county should do very well at least.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I'm very intrigued by the NWFS tomorrow. solid totals higher up, and I'm most likely going to be skiing in the AM to enjoy it.

Yeah my neighbors keep telling me about how substantial the nwf events can be in our neighborhood but the most I've seen from one is 3.5" back around Halloween.  I'm ready to see for myself.  Hope I'm not waiting a long time. 

8 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

GSP doesn't think much of this event. Has me at only 20% max for a few flurries. We shall see.

....The NW flow will also bring a cloud deck up against the TN/NC border areas, with a few snow showers possible. Snow accums should be very light, generally a dusting to up to half an inch.....

So far they were right.  I've seen about a dozen flakes tonight.  

7 hours ago, Buckethead said:

So far they were right.  I've seen about a dozen flakes tonight.  

Yea it definitely never materialized. I feel like that's been the theme for a couple of years now. Robust nwfs signatures on models, followed by the event drying up as we get close. On the bright side, February looks cold. I get a weird feeling that we haven't seen our biggest snow yet and I hope i'm right!

10 hours ago, Buckethead said:

But at least the mud refroze.  Silver linings...

Oh you're funny. My road is still a mud pit even hanging around freezing most of the day. 

Holloway Mountain Road that connects 221 and the BRP to 105 south of Boone is a muddy disaster too. I use it for BRP access a LOT and my car is no longer hyper blue but rather hyper brown. 

2 hours ago, AsheCounty48 said:

gfs_asnow_seus_34.png

Just dropping this off. might need to really start watching this.

That is an old time classic look.. heavy snow for the mountains and ziltch for everyone else.. that is how winter normally looks around here.. funny how everyone is talking about the awesome winter NC is having but in all reality,the ones that normally get all the snow has gotten the least amount this year..it's been pretty pitiful along the TN border so far compared to normals. NWFS has sucked.

39 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

That is an old time classic look.. heavy snow for the mountains and ziltch for everyone else.. that is how winter normally looks around here.. funny how everyone is talking about the awesome winter NC is having but in all reality,the ones that normally get all the snow has gotten the least amount this year..it's been pretty pitiful along the TN border so far compared to normals. NWFS has sucked.

We have had a few good small events. You still cannot forget the December 9th storm. As Grit has alluded to the storm track will come further West the second half of winter. That means we will not be as cold but a better chance for snow for us. 

4 hours ago, snowbird1230 said:

What is normal?  I've searched all over the interwebz and have come up with nothing close to an answer.

Archived