Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

54 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah great forecast Ward.  We have several 4 to 5 inches across the county. Even though we didn't get the brunt of the storm it was a good one. I definitely thought wrong on this storm to my surprise.  Glad everyone cashed in on a few inches.

Agreed.  Nice job Ward. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hickory is right on the fringe of the foothills, but I consider myself a tangential member of this thread, as well.  I enjoy reading what you guys have to post in here and wanted to share my short video with you.

Anyway, I unexpectedly got a drone for Christmas this year, complete with a camera/video setup.  It's a Dromida XL 370mm FPV.  Today was only my second attempt at flying it, but I wanted to try to get some aerial views in my neighborhood.  Not being too experienced, I was afraid to get much higher with it than the treetops, but I got some video footage of the snowfall.  I've got a lot to learn about navigating slowly so as to not make my viewers too sick watching it.  Anyway, it's no AirNelson production, but have a look, if you'd like.  I interspersed a few slo-mo ground shots too, and hang around after the credits to really see my skills...

3 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Hickory is right on the fringe of the foothills, but I consider myself a tangential member of this thread, as well.  I enjoy reading what you guys have to post in here and wanted to share my short video with you.

Anyway, I unexpectedly got a drone for Christmas this year, complete with a camera/video setup.  It's a Dromida XL 370mm FPV.  Today was only my second attempt at flying it, but I wanted to try to get some aerial views in my neighborhood.  Not being too experienced, I was afraid to get much higher with it than the treetops, but I got some video footage of the snowfall.  I've got a lot to learn about navigating slowly so as to not make my viewers too sick watching it.  Anyway, it's no AirNelson production, but have a look, if you'd like.  I interspersed a few slo-mo ground shots too, and hang around after the credits to really see my skills...

Awesome Calc! Glad you cashed in! It's beautiful! Enjoy!

Down to 13 here. Up to 28 now with only the roof starting to melt.
Great run of the mill system here as I topped out at 4.3” on average. This winter so far has been great. 2nd snow day from work for me and the kids. Unless something happens today, I assume the same tomorrow. Sucks for our high schools as these 3 days were end of semester testing. Lol. I’m at a middle school so we only have to push the end of the 6 weeks back a few days.

29 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

I like next Thursday. that is all.

Yep was coming here to post about this.  Looks like a piece of energy could break off the tail of a strong Great Lakes Low, and redevelop in the Gulf before transferring to a coastal low.  That type of system has worked well for use here in WNC before.  Not ready to get too excited about this one, but most of the global models show some type of transfer, just depends on where it happens, and if the cold air is in place.  Lets see what happens, this one could be fun!

ICON

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_58.png

GFS

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29.png

GEM (Develops the Great Lakes Low more) 

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

7 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Went just below zero again last night, down to -0.8. Had right at 3 inches of snow. Roads around here are still bad. Kids scored their 11th snow day of the year along with 7 delays and 4 early dismissals. 

And tomorrow is day number 12.  Is this typical up here, Joe?

3 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I guess 15 for the year is average but I've seen as many as 40. One year when my kids were still in school they had so many the school year didn't end until July 1st. I think it was 1999/2000 when we had a bad sleet and snow storm the day they were to go back from Christmas break but didn't go back until almost Feb.

1 minute ago, SnoJoe said:

I guess 15 for the year is average but I've seen as many as 40. One year when my kids were still in school they had so many the school year didn't end until July 1st. I think it was 1999/2000 when we had a bad sleet and snow storm the day they were to go back from Christmas break but didn't go back until almost Feb.

That was the year. Thanks joe

11 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Remember Heath, it basically wiped out our entire power grid for a couple of weeks. We had like 3/4 inch of freezing rain, then 4 inches of sleet, then 6 inches of snow all in about 24 hours. Talk about crippling!

It was bad i remeber carrying wood in for my nana so she could fire up the wood cooking stove and heater. It was like concrete.

13 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Yeah I remember that year. I was in high school. I remember either being out or being delayed every single day in January.  My Junior year was like that also. I remember it basically snowed every other day....

13 hours ago, Buckethead said:

This so far is actually a normal winter for us. This has been one of the best starts to winter I can remember since about 2010. I think we are a bit behind in snowfall here but the cold is impressive.  We need one or two good snows and this will be a great winter no matter what.

2 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Looks like a decent shot at some upslope snow Tuesday into Wednesday.  Could linger all day on the border counties Wednesday.

Yeah I have been noticing that. I mentioned about this last week... The pattern looks fine to me really. A warm up here,  a cool down there. We should have had more snow than we currently do but we will get our as the pattern sets up a bit further West. The Euro has the coming cool down then another much more pronounced cool down in about 5 to 7 days which could bring us some upslope fun. All in all not bad. This cold snap since Christmas has been most impressive. Even with temps in the 40s the ground is still frozen and the snow is still holding on. I can remember that in past recent years if we warmed to around freezing the snow was gone but not this year. If we can keep the on and off cold before the patterns reloads I cannot wait to see what happens in February. 

1 hour ago, BooneWX said:

It feels like we are long overdue for a decent nwfs event that amounts to more than a dusting. 

I agree. It's been a couple of years since we've had a good flow snow. One of those that last for 2 or 3 days. I can't remember the year, but I had over 20 inches in a 2 day stretch one time. We use to be able to count on two or three good ones a year.

Archived