Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, cold air aloft said:

Wound up with 3.6 inches at the house in Maggie. Just awesome!

I'm glad this looks like an event where almost everyone cashes in and gets something. Best of luck today to our friends in the Piedmont and down East!

I've certainly been rooting for the victims of the snow hole in Wake County to get something decent out of this; snow just working into that area now.

2.5" and still coming down decent at times. Fixin' to head down to the Gorge with the camera. Hopefully get some nice stuff if sky conditions will improve a bit.

Watauga County did an awful job with the roads this time. They were stupid bad at 8AM. Improved a bit now but even the main roads are super slick still. Also no WWA from Blacksburg is absolutely nuts too.

ULL cutting off and surface low forming in NW SC currently. Should tip back forcing and move the band back West a tad. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it snowing again in parts of Buncombe co. soon. This one has been fun and very interesting.

500mb chart

102a1a40cb07b6e5b0f1ff1a667749fb.jpg

Notice the neutral to negative tilt of the forcing right there on the GA/SC line.

Surface chart

e9f7b58556c8726add9d1bf7e8e67960.jpg

Surface low beginning to crank up, not the nose of low pressure pushing back.

It will be interesting to see if the coastal development will help push this back even a little more. I am have a ball tracking this storm.

10 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

2.5" and still coming down decent at times. Fixin' to head down to the Gorge with the camera. Hopefully get some nice stuff if sky conditions will improve a bit.

Watauga County did an awful job with the roads this time. They were stupid bad at 8AM. Improved a bit now but even the main roads are super slick still. Also no WWA from Blacksburg is absolutely nuts too.

I think the NWS shares some blame for the poor road conditions this morning in Watauga. When you spend time downplaying the storm, issuing zero advisories and putting out a forecast last night that said "less than one inch," it's hard for road crews to feel any urgency. 

12 minutes ago, Hvward said:

ULL cutting off and surface low forming in NW SC currently. Should tip back forcing and move the band back West a tad. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it snowing again in parts of Buncombe co. soon. This one has been fun and very interesting.

I wouldn't be mad about this...

26 minutes ago, Hvward said:

102a1a40cb07b6e5b0f1ff1a667749fb.jpg

Great forecast again. You were all over it early.

1 hour ago, BooneWX said:

I think the NWS shares some blame for the poor road conditions this morning in Watauga. When you spend time downplaying the storm, issuing zero advisories and putting out a forecast last night that said "less than one inch," it's hard for road crews to feel any urgency. 

I thought living under FFC back in their conservative days was bad but Blacksburg has been junk this winter. No excuse for the misses they've had. I would be fine with them playing catch-up on this storm but they didn't even try that, just pretending it's not happening I guess. 

Side note: they still haven't scraped 105 in front of my house here in Foscoe. -_-

4 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

20 minutes ago, westmc9th said:

I'm past 4 inches now. Wonder what NWS Blacksburg has to say about this? No advisory? 

i thought you guys were joking about Blacksburg, until I checked for myself. HOW could they not have issued something? Oh wait, I do have a wind chill advisory.

Had 3 solid inches here, Gsp sorta missed it again, know its tough to predict in the mountains around Asheville, we've already had our average so anything else the rest of the winter will be a treat or icing on the cake, we have a long way to go so i think we will top the average in Buncombe County for sure, great winter so far.  :snowing:

Archived