• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

Looking ahead to Tuesday and Tuesday night. GFS/Euro both have very light snow in the mountains. Stronger southern stream could help. Another option is a stronger transfer to a Carolina low. 

I'm not talking big snow. What I want is midweek action with cheap lift tickets and small crowds. Oh yeah dress for Rocky Mountain cold. :ski:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

And why did he pick Lake Fontana?

I'm not right on the lake, but can see part of it from here.  But it's an awesome view to the east of here and clearly see the snow line on the mountain tops.  Curently 21 with what's left of a dusting from this morning.

Northern Yancey, about 6 miles from the TN line. My property faces NW so I usually do pretty well with flow snow.

BTW, it's snowing as hard now as any other time today. Use the Morristown TN and Jackson KY radar composite loops and they'll give you a good idea of trajectories and upstream moisture. They both still look pretty good for a few more hours. 

52 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

Not sure how we have a closed low move directly over the Mtn’s (per Euro) and the precip just vanishes before it gets here?? Can someone explain this?

This! It puzzles me as well. You’d think in this set-up we’d at least be good for a solid 2-4 inches or maybe more, but it literally dries up in E TN after dropping nice totals there. 

7 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

According to most models, I'm about to get a nice screw job here on the eastern side....

I'm baffled by the models at this point. I've seen radar simulations that show the mountains getting hours of moderate snowfall at sub-freezing temps and the output is a half an inch. 

Hmm...well the NAM doesn't show a lot in terms of snow maps and the radar even looks anemic as it comes over the mountains; however, at 700 things look moist as well as at the surface. The RGEM actually looks pretty awesome on precipitation. We may not get the most snow, but I also don't think we will get totally blanked. Ratios should be great and timing is actually ideal for us (late evening into the night). 

5 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I am riding the NAM with this one. It looks decent with the first system then some upslope snow also. The GFS looks pretty bad for us and well it's the GFS...

I'm just gonna hope for incredibly high ratios. If I get something similar to the New Years Eve surprise a few weeks ago, I won't complain a bit. 

I think for us we want this thing to be a frontal passage with moisture along the front. We have cold temps, snow on the ground, and frozen ground. Snow will start laying quickly for us. The only way we get good moisture is if the low redeveloped much soon and closer to us which currently I just don't see. Still this is one of those last minute things when things kind of comes together... Which is the norm for around here lol. 

Archived