Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Yeah it's a rn/sn mix here now.  Got a quick .5" I wasn't expecting earlier. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdsouC4gps3/ 

Beautiful slo-mo shot there, Buckethead.  Hey, what's your updated snowfall numbers at your location?  The last event you have reported in your signature is from 11/19/17.

11 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Beautiful slo-mo shot there, Buckethead.  Hey, what's your updated snowfall numbers at your location?  The last event you have reported in your signature is from 11/19/17.

Yeah it's a glitch or something I suppose.  I've been updating it.  Up to 20" on the season as of today.

And thanks!

10/29/17: 3.5"   11/19/17: 1.25"  12/8-12/9/17: 11.25"   12/24/17: .5"  12/30-12/31/17: 2"   1/4/18: 1"  1/8/18: .5"

22 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Yeah it's a glitch or something I suppose.  I've been updating it.  Up to 20" on the season as of today.

And thanks!

10/29/17: 3.5"   11/19/17: 1.25"  12/8-12/9/17: 11.25"   12/24/17: .5"  12/30-12/31/17: 2"   1/4/18: 1"  1/8/18: .5"

Don't fix that!  The slo-mo is great. It is snowing snow balls. Very nice !

2 hours ago, ncjoaquin said:

Don't fix that!  The slo-mo is great. It is snowing snow balls. Very nice !

I meant that Ive been updating my totals but its not showing up for some reason. And thanks.  It was nice while it lasted...Im enjoying my liquid precip now.

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

I meant that Ive been updating my totals but its not showing up for some reason. And thanks.  It was nice while it lasted...Im enjpying my liquid precip now.

Ohhh. Pretty dumb on my part. :lol:     Anyway, GSP is looking for a good NW flow event this weekend so maybe you won't have to wait long.

FXUS62 KGSP 091919
AFDGSP

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg SC
219 PM EST Tue Jan 9 2018

&&

Snow levels will fall across the mountains from the west Friday
night behind the system, and accumulations could develop rapidly
across the Smokies and surrounding high terrain before daybreak
Saturday.

9 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

So much for the extended torch the models were showing. Back to a cold pattern next week. Likely some good NWFS Saturday and again next Tue/Wed maybe. 5 days below freezing in Boone on the 12z Euro. Not *quite* as cold as last time but still widespread single digits. 

I'll gladly take it.  Maybe the ground will refreeze some.  It's a muddy mess up here right now. 4wd is the only thing that'll get you to my house.

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah the euro is advertising a nice cold pattern for us for at least 5 to 7 days. Some good upslope snow for sure with well below normal temps. 

Yeah the Euro looks good.  If it's close to verifying we'll be closing in on 2' for the season by Tuesday night.

It looks like the mountains will luck out of seeing the organized severe weather tomorrow, but close call upstate SC right up into the foothills. Thinking solid structures will survive well into the CAD, with damaging wind gusts and isolated tornado warnings before entering the lower elevations. Mountains main threat will be flooding with or without organized segments; it looks wet. 

52 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Things may get real interesting around here today with the heavy rainfall coming in. Looks like a steady event again today with rain changing to snow overnight especially across the higher elevations near the TN boarder.

Yea, tonight should be fun to watch. If the cold air can make it into the mountains as quickly as advertised, we are going to have a mess on the roads in the morning. 

1 hour ago, BooneWX said:

Yea, tonight should be fun to watch. If the cold air can make it into the mountains as quickly as advertised, we are going to have a mess on the roads in the morning. 

My kids have to be at their school at 0600 tomorrow to leave for a wrestling tournament.  I got a feeling the roads are going to be treacherous. 

3 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

My kids have to be at their school at 0600 tomorrow to peave for a wrestling tournament.  I got a feeling the roads are going to be treacherous. 

And to make matters worse, I'd bet on snow falling at that hour. Anyone have a link to soil temp maps? I'm curious to see if the ground thawed very much with all of this rain. 

Archived