Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

21 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Made it down to 0 this morning. Man I love this cold weather. 

Sounds like a man that could not only endure a Wisconsin winter but love it.

Best of luck Met although concerned the Mountain and Foothills threads could go the way of the dodo if you leave us for even better weather (and work).  Too bad being the WNC weather bell cow doesn't pay better.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moonhowl said:

Sounds like a man that could not only endure a Wisconsin winter but love it.

Best of luck Met although concerned the Mountain and Foothills threads could go the way of the dodo if you leave us for even better weather (and work).  Too bad being the WNC weather bell cow doesn't pay better.

Lol I really do appreciate all the kind words. Too bad it does not pay better or I would stay around. We have some great new people. We have Tyler, Ashe, Joe, Buckethead, You, and a whole slew of people who have started posting in the mountain forum. The thread will be fine. I will pop back in from time to time but the money is too good to pass up. WNC is not a breeding ground for jobs paying 40 dollars an hour so I must get out and take the opportunities as they come. Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Another low of 0. This has been an impressive cold snap.

Down to 3 in Maggie Valley this morning.

Since I found this forum last Winter I have read and observed more than posted, trying to learn from from those with more expertise, like yourself. I've enjoyed the observations of a fellow Haywood County resident and like the others here, I wish you much success in your new ventures up North. Also, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun to learn and experience the intricacies and quirks of the weather in a new environment. Best of luck to you! 

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Lol I really do appreciate all the kind words. Too bad it does not pay better or I would stay around. We have some great new people. We have Tyler, Ashe, Joe, Buckethead, You, and a whole slew of people who have started posting in the mountain forum. The thread will be fine. I will pop back in from time to time but the money is too good to pass up. WNC is not a breeding ground for jobs paying 40 dollars an hour so I must get out and take the opportunities as they come. Thank you.

Definitely pop back in from time to time and next year let us know what a real winter is like (even though we are getting a little real winter right now). 

I have only been to Wisconsin once but I did manage to get intimate with the state during that trip; did over a 500 mile bicycle tour.  I can assure much of where I traveled was far from flat and saw some beautiful country.

Dude? Where are you heading?

3 hours ago, cold air aloft said:

Down to 3 in Maggie Valley this morning.

Since I found this forum last Winter I have read and observed more than posted, trying to learn from from those with more expertise, like yourself. I've enjoyed the observations of a fellow Haywood County resident and like the others here, I wish you much success in your new ventures up North. Also, I'm sure it will be a lot of fun to learn and experience the intricacies and quirks of the weather in a new environment. Best of luck to you! 

Yeah it has been really cool that you have started posting. Maggie is a unique climate all to itself. Sometime they get the snow, sometimes they don't but that whole area is fun to observe the weather. Thank you for the kind words.

2 hours ago, Moonhowl said:

Definitely pop back in from time to time and next year let us know what a real winter is like (even though we are getting a little real winter right now). 

I have only been to Wisconsin once but I did manage to get intimate with the state during that trip; did over a 500 mile bicycle tour.  I can assure much of where I traveled was far from flat and saw some beautiful country.

Dang 500 miles. That is impressive man. Yeah I would be up in the northern half of the State. Where I want to live they average about 70 inches of snow a year. I can get down with that. I'll come check in with yall. The weather here is very unique and I will miss it. 

Im headed to Wisconsin next week for a job interview with CN railroads up there. The place is called Stevnes Point. I would live a little north of there. I hope to get the job up there so i'm preparing my butt off. 

Awesome! Good luck with the interview and possible job. I know you’ll keep us updated!

Check it out !!! One of our own doing great.  Hvward in case you don't recognize the name. Hopefully, he won't mind me posting this.  Of course, the stupid paywall may block it.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2018/01/06/weather-according-ward-facebook-young-meteorologist-takes-wnc-storm/1004469001/

Thanks man! I am truly humbled. I am a little sad he didn’t mention the board and Met85, because I talked a great deal about this group. This board (mountain thread & SE) has provide me a base of invaluable knowledge that I am so grateful for. Thanks everyone.

6 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Thanks man! I am truly humbled. I am a little sad he didn’t mention the board and Met85, because I talked a great deal about this group. This board (mountain thread & SE) has provide me a base of invaluable knowledge that I am so grateful for. Thanks everyone.

Thanks Ward. I am sure people won't mind me speaking for them but that is great PR for the mountain folk and for this weatherboard. I can personally attest that you do some great work and you cover a large part of WNC. We appreciate your expertise and your willing to share with us. It's nice to see you getting recognized by multiple media forms also. Well done and keep up the great work.  

Thanks Ward. I am sure people won't mind me speaking for them but that is great PR for the mountain folk and for this weatherboard. I can personally attest that you do some great work and you cover a large part of WNC. We appreciate your expertise and your willing to share with us. It's nice to see you getting recognized by multiple media forms also. Well done and keep up the great work.  

Thanks man. He was specifically supposed to mention you bud, but not sure why it didn’t make it in. Everyone here really appreciates the glue you provide to our little weather community. You’ve help me learn a great deal about NWFS, and that’s something that’s not really covered in great detail elsewhere. Also, MikeGold and nrgjeff, really appreciate all the insight you fellas bring. Hopefully you’ll stick around on the board even if you leave the area, and we can get you a webcam posted up there in Crabtree that you can always enjoy!

Another low of 0! This has been one of the most impressive cold snaps in several years. Snow or not this has been a treat to watch and feel just day after day how cold it has been. From the snow still on the ground to the ice on the rivers this has been a very pleasant surprise this winter. Also don't fret on the warm up. It will be short and sweet as the Euro is showing some more cold weather coming in for us towards the end of the week. 

5 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Another low of 0! This has been one of the most impressive cold snaps in several years. Snow or not this has been a treat to watch and feel just day after day how cold it has been. From the snow still on the ground to the ice on the rivers this has been a very pleasant surprise this winter. Also don't fret on the warm up. It will be short and sweet as the Euro is showing some more cold weather coming in for us towards the end of the week. 

We got to 6.6 just after 1am and have been rising since.  Currently 28...back to sweatshirt weather!

Best of luck on the interview, Met.  Teach what sweet tea is supposed to taste like. 

2 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

We got to 6.6 just after 1am and have been rising since.  Currently 28...back to sweatshirt weather!

Best of luck on the interview, Met.  Teach what sweet tea is supposed to taste like. 

Yeah we will warm up today. A bit. looks like some mixing in the higher elevations for you though. It will all wash out by tomorrow morning. 

4 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Had a low of 4 and just hit freezing with full sun. Been out of town all week and came back to a couple frozen and busted pipes above my well. I had shut pump off and drained the lines but I guess it wasn't enough. 2 hour fix and my water is working again.

Yeah this has been an extended stretch of cold temps even for here. Lots of frozen and busted pipes. 

39 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Light snow here currently.  Looks to be changing over to rain as the intensity picks up though.  Rain is fine with me.  Washing my truck has been pointless with the salt everywhere. 

Yeah I did get a confirmed report that is was snowing here above 4000 feet. It was light but festive.

Archived