Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

20 hours ago, Met1985 said:

very cold this morning with a low of negative 2! Looks like we may see some upslope events coming this week. A side note I may have a job up in Wisconsin. I would be working for the railroad up there. 

I hope you get it but better you than me. LOL! I spent enough time at Great Lakes Naval base then used to travel to Michigan for work a few times a year (mostly during winter). Get used to driving on packed snow all winter and not being able to tell which lane your in. :P ...........and as one of the locals once told me, there are only 2 seasons in the North: Winter and road repair season.

Good luck buddy!

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any thoughts on Monday's potential? 

What potential?Some potential for a CAD event but otherwise looks like a brief snow/ip to start then rain and maybe some backend snow.

Aka I'm not impressed and neither is the euro/eps.

The 12z euro does intrigue me though. A little less amped and we get a nice storm I think.

2 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

I think its time for people to stop dismissing the NAM so quickly even after 48 hours 

Sure is getting that way. Back in the day, its mid and long capabilities were brutal..  If anything, just understanding the faults of the models is half the battle. 

Classic Haywood County upslope event. Left Maggie Valley to go to work in Canton with not a cloud in the sky (Maggie never gets anything out of NW flow events) get to Lake Junaluska and look north towards Crabtree/Iron Duff  and see solid darkness,  get on 23/74 and right in front of the hospital, boom! run into a wall of pouring down snow and stay in it through Clyde (where the secondary roads are covered). Flurries and gusting wind here in Canton. These events are a fun phenomenon around here

54 minutes ago, Red1976Red said:

Only 2 more days until Winter Storm Watches may go up. Let’s try to reel this one in before we thaw for weeks. 

Only if it’s snow. I’d rather the weather turn 70 degrees for the next month than receive nearly an inch of freezing rain and not have power for a week. 

6 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Only if it’s snow. I’d rather the weather turn 70 degrees for the next month than receive nearly an inch of freezing rain and not have power for a week. 

I would rather have freezing rain than 1-2" of heavy warm rain on top of 25 degree soil temps and frozen rivers.

Watching the qpf trends closely. Could see 2 rain events next week.

Sunday still looks interesting imo. CMC is holding serve while everything else is suppressed. Seems like the CMC has been spot-on as of late, so I'm not going to be shocked if the models start trending towards the CMC during the overnight runs or tomorrow. Only time will tell, I guess. 

Archived