Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Well no matter whether we get any snow or not, we have entered into a very cold regime. Looking at the Euro it is just one cold front after another. Very cold air coming our way and lots of it. 

Agreed, this is a great pattern and one we haven't seen in a while. Even if we don't score a gulf system, I believe that this pattern should give us hope for some frontal boundary and up-slope snow at the very least. Anything that falls is going to stick, that's for sure.

It's fun to have a real Winter again!

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Well no matter whether we get any snow or not, we have entered into a very cold regime. Looking at the Euro it is just one cold front after another. Very cold air coming our way and lots of it. 

What's strange is models are showing virtually no upslope..that is unreal with such cold air coming across the mountains..what's the deal Met?

I trust everyone had a great Christmas and hope you have a happy New year as well.

I had an inch of snow Christmas Eve night so I guess that qualifies as a little white Christmas. Looks to be pretty dry around here for the next 10 days but super cold. Maybe things will change but at least it'll feel like winter. It's been worst going into the new year before.

1 hour ago, Tyler Penland said:

We made it to 15 with a heavy heavy frost.

0z euro was record breaking cold middle of next week. Text data is -12 at Boone with high of 3 and 3" of snow on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

You can say that 3 times! lol. Yeah the Euro bringing the hammer even has some upslope snow. If we have snow on the ground then we will see our coldest temps in 4 years. Shoot even without snow we will be very cold. The Euro is a great pattern also for reloading cold. We will see. 

Albeit there is an
outside chance of wrap around -shra late Wed into Thu over the far
NC mtns. Even this moisture is more suspect now as the reinforcing
cA sfc high ridges east. So...have lowered the already low PoPs
across the wrn NC mtns with no snow accums mentioned in the grids.

NWFS seems to have died. It seems like forever when there has been one of those multi-day NWFS events with a Great Lakes connection where even the city gets 2 or 3 inches and Leicester and Weaverville get 6 or 8 inches and the western and northern mountains get hammered. 

Wow at the cold and strong high pressure. Suppression at its finest. I honestly didn’t believe a few days ago that this could sustain itself for so long, but it now looks like the Bermuda Blizzard of 2018 is possible.. lol. I would love to see those energies phase earlier (like everyone else), but chances seems to be dwindling extremely quickly. I mean hardly any of the 0z EPS members even have a dusting through the next 10 days. Yeah I know NW trend, but that would be a stretch. I know I said I really liked the pattern a few days ago, but it seems that arctic air is eating any moisture for breakfast. I don’t have a great deal of experience with these extremely cold, sustained high pressures. Wow in the other thread I believe was mentioning how theses were a feature of some La Niña years, and are extremely unusual. That may be why some models are showing snow in the long range but then losing it, because this dry air is anomalous and there is limited precedence for models to rely on. That being said, I am happy with the 10” of snow I got earlier this, anything else will be bonus! It would be really fun to track a strong low pressure slamming into this cold coming up straight for FL. One can dream.

From Ray:

Weakening Canadian high pressure today means the air won’t be quite as cold, but more seasonal. We’ll call it chilly. However, that will be all too temporary as a reinforcing surge of Arctic air will be inbound on New Year’s Eve, and will be entrenched over the mountains for New Year’s Day. While Sunday will be cold, New Year’s Day will be plain frigid.

A cross-polar flow is delivering an air mass of Arctic and Siberian inputs, so we’ll flirt with record low temperatures both Sunday and Monday nights, along with dangerously low (below zero) wind chills. Patches of low level moisture associated with the cold surges could bring some flurries this afternoon into Sunday morning, then maybe again Sunday night.

After a slight relaxation of the cold by the middle of next week, another Arctic surge arrives for next Thursday and Friday. Still, we can’t buy moisture in this weather pattern, so expect more dry weather. Bundle-up and also keep those indoor humidifiers humming! This will be one of the more memorable cold waves we've experienced in quite some time.

Craziest thing this evening. Left Boone to head to hickory around 5:45pm with some flurries in Boone. Get to the Tanger Outlets in Blowing Rock and the roads and everything are solid white with moderate snow falling. Get past the Green Park Inn and there’s about 40 cars at a stand still coming up the Mtn because several cars were stuck. Get a couple miles down the road where the salt station is on 321 and the gates closed and no lights on. Totally unprepared on this random snow squall. Came back through around 10:30pm and there were salt trucks everywhere lol

Archived