Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Now that the storm is over, recapping the days leading up to this storm is interesting. UK, NAVGEM, CMC, and NAM once in range really did well with this storm. GFS and Euro absolutely sucked. If it wasn't already decided before, the euro has been dethroned as king. 

Yeah I can remember people in the main board say too juiced,  biased, not going to happen,  all by themselves.  If anything they where not juiced enough and way outperformed the GFS and EURO by a ton. I think a lot has to be learned about this event. 

I think that a lesson to be learned, is that climo wins, most of the time. For days, all that was said, was how unlikely it was for significant moisture to make it this far west. I realize that models are models and they are tools to help, but sometimes, you just have to assume that these storms have a shot at doing exactly what they do 90% of time; go further west than what’s depicted and sock the western end of the state. With that being said, I’ll doubt any model depicting a foot of snow in Raleigh and Virginia Beach 3-Days out.

10 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

I think that a lesson to be learned, is that climo wins, most of the time. For days, all that was said, was how unlikely it was for significant moisture to make it this far west. I realize that models are models and they are tools to help, but sometimes, you just have to assume that these storms have a shot at doing exactly what they do 90% of time; go further west than what’s depicted and sock the western end of the state. With that being said, I’ll doubt any model depicting a foot of snow in Raleigh and Virginia Beach 3-Days out.

Yep climo mostly wins out and we are in the prime spot. Not too take anything away from others but we do usually jackpot in these scenarios.  Shoot even I was skeptical but after Ward started posting the consistency of the Navgem I was starting to believe.

32 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I only got about an inch. It was way too windy though for accurate accumulations.  The wind was blowing 90 all night. 

Just by seeing it fall I might have had 2 inches. Only needed a little over an inch to reach a foot for a grand total so that's what I'm going with. This was a great storm and hope it was just the start of a great winter.

Partly Cloudy

Temp - 15.7/ Low 14.2

Wind - 17/G23

Wind Chill - 0

54 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I only got about an inch. It was way too windy though for accurate accumulations.  The wind was blowing 90 all night. 

It really was.  I had 1.25" on my board last night but even on the protected side of the mountain the wind was blowing too much to really trust that measurement.  

What a weekend though! 

49 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Just by seeing it fall I might have had 2 inches. Only needed a little over an inch to reach a foot for a grand total so that's what I'm going with. This was a great storm and hope it was just the start of a great winter.

Partly Cloudy

Temp - 15.7/ Low 14.2

Wind - 17/G23

Wind Chill - 0

23 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

It really was.  I had 1.25" on my board last night but even on the protected side of the mountain the wind was blowing too much to really trust that measurement.  

What a weekend though! 

Yeah guys as the both of yall said the wind was ferocious! I mean talk about spurts of ground blizzard conditions with blowing snow. It was a beautiful sight though. shoot anytime it snows it is a beautiful sight. And yes I hope this means we will get more storms and much more snow this winter. 

So this is my rating for this storm on a scale from 1-10. Surprise storm was a 10 especially with how poorly the long range models caught up to this especially only after the short range models had already nailed this down basically. Snowfall rate was an 8 for me. It was not the most impressive but it snowed for over 24 hours straight at a pretty good clip. Snow density was a 10. We always get our best snows right around 30 degrees. This snowfall was perfect for snowman making and playing with the kids. IT was heavy, dense and easy to compact. Total weekend accumulations was at 13.5 inches total which puts this in the top 10 storms for me and it is even better because this happened in early December and was a huge surprise. All in all I give this storm an 8 out of a 10. It was a treat to be apart of and it was a beautiful storm that just hung on every single branch on trees. Those storms are the best! 

19 hours ago, strongwxnc said:

Dude, that's a sweet photo!

Thank you man for this comment. I try to post as much as I can without trying to rub it into people's faces. To me I like to share the experience with everyone especially those who do not get to see this type of weather a lot. This was a wonderful storm for several folks on the board and I could not be more happy for them. As for my pics. The mountains of NC are a truly special place to live...

Yep climo mostly wins out and we are in the prime spot. Not too take anything away from others but we do usually jackpot in these scenarios.  Shoot even I was skeptical but after Ward started posting the consistency of the Navgem I was starting to believe.

My professors harped on looking for consistency from run to run to tell how well a model is handling a situation. The NAVGEM may not be the best model, but it has to be given some weight when it is that consistent and other are waving as they did. I understand the NWS not buying the early trends of the NAM, but they were consistent 36 hrs out and after the 18z run Tuesday evening, models really began to latch on to an expanded precip field to the NW. Ukie and NAVGEM had shown long range support for what the NAM was portraying, but because the Operational GFS and Operational Euro weren't showing the sharper look, these trends weren't given the weight they should have been. The GEFS and the EPS both showed this type of solution as a possibility on several runs with several members. I think this has been a good learning experience, I know that I have learned a ton!

Looking forward though, Tuesday morning a love of energy from the Alberta Clipper moving over the NE looks to swing through WNC and I bet we see another 1"-3" for the border counties Starting Tuesday morning and lasting through the day. We haven't seen a pattern like this in a while, but this looks great for the ski areas! They should be able to make a base large enough to sustain them through the winter over the next week imo. Thursday evening into Friday also looks interesting! Snow showers look to be possible around Downtown Asheville and valleys north of I-40 onTuesday and Thursday into Friday is a wildcard so this should be a fun, but cold week!

I recall the NAM around 24-36 hours out showing virtually zero accumulations for all of NC for several runs. I would honestly only put it slightly above the euro and gfs for this storm imo

NAM showed the northwestern expansion of precip before the GFS and Euro picked up on it and was the first to show consistent back to back runs with accumulation around WNC. It lost the look for two runs on Tuesday, push the trough out to sea more... but then came back with the sharper look and held on to it, progressively getting stronger. For Asheville, the NAM was the first model to pick up on the chance for decent accumulation, and was the first to show the possibility for 6"+ on the NC/SC border. I don't think any model besides the UK and NAVGEM deserve to be praised after this event. But the NAM sniffed out the snowfall all across the SE, and imo outperform the GFS & Euro.

Still some uncertainty regarding Friday as well as some in the main thread mentioned. I got to looking through the EPS member and found two with a look like what the Ukie has shown(actually even an inland track compared to Ukie). Could be interesting, and I am thinking that we are seeing some volatility among EPS and GEFS member that should be noted. Not saying it will happen, but right now we sit on the very cold side of things as it looks and things have trended towards more warm and moist as we approach so it's noteworthy. Check it out..

7222fbdd843af35264050ecf664932d3.jpg

4b08a4cd4ccfa9b3f87f51b97c95443b.jpg

a99c3b7199efec6857c982c1c33b7a24.jpg

f54b143b09b91cef06c1d28fcb355e53.jpg

39 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Still some uncertainty regarding Friday as well as some in the main thread mentioned. I got to looking through the EPS member and found two with a look like what the Ukie has shown(actually even an inland track compared to Ukie). Could be interesting, and I am thinking that we are seeing some volatility among EPS and GEFS member that should be noted. Not saying it will happen, but right now we sit on the very cold side of things as it looks and things have trended towards more warm and moist as we approach so it's noteworthy. Check it out..

7222fbdd843af35264050ecf664932d3.jpg

4b08a4cd4ccfa9b3f87f51b97c95443b.jpg

a99c3b7199efec6857c982c1c33b7a24.jpg

f54b143b09b91cef06c1d28fcb355e53.jpg

I've been wondering too about that time frame.  Considering the difference among the operational models.  Are some similarities with this past system  Imo.

Archived