SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steady snow in Boone. The band to the west is looking healthy! Overall, this is going to be one of my favorite all-time snowfalls. Simply because there was so much doubt for so long. Hell, two days ago the narrative was “the moisture isn’t going to make it far enough west and the mountains will probably just get some flurries.” 

8 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The 12z NAM continues to look robust for tonight into tomorrow. 

We stopped right at 10" but I'm hoping the clipper can bury the ruler.  

Third accumulating snowfall for me this season.  Awesome introduction to living in the high country!

39 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Since this one winding down a bit lets push things out a little. Has anyone had a chance to look at the Tues. night and the Thurs. night/Friday systems?

I was looking at the Tuesday storm last night, the 18z GFS had a full blown Miller b that developed a little too late to really do us any good, but haven't searched anything since then.

41 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Since this one winding down a bit lets push things out a little. Has anyone had a chance to look at the Tues. night and the Thurs. night/Friday systems?

The Tuesday event looks ok currently.  Still a bit away. The 12z gfs looks like a decent upslope event. Out past that is like throwing darts at a dart board 

well ended up with 12 inches here in West Asheville /Candler area, now the wind and cold temps are on the way, everything in the morning will be solid ice with windchills around zero.  wow this was an awesome storm especially for this early in December.  so much for an inch or two,

18 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Yes. With the exception of flurries or a brief snow shower that could break containment from the TN border counties tonight.  

Yeah, though it should be interesting with the possibility of blowing snow from the trees with the wind. Was just outside and a small gust created an artificial blizzard around me momentarily.  At least there could be some flakes in the air! Hope the mountains score big. 

A WWA for "up to one inch"? I guess they are combining the impacts with the last storm. 

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO
10 AM EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Difficult travel conditions expected due to snow covered
  roads and black ice. Plan on slippery road conditions.
  Additional snow accumulations of up to one inch are expected
  across the higher elevations near the Tennessee border.

* WHERE...The North Carolina mountains.

* WHEN...From 7 PM this evening to 10 AM EST Sunday.

Archived