Weathernoob335
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

He did on a Facebook live broadcast...

This whole storm/forecasting has been the most fascinating thing I've seen in weather in a long time. Readily available model data just totally being discarded leading up to the event and even now. From the local mets to the nws office. It's one thing if the models don't portray this and it just surprises everyone. 

10 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Dont worry guys after this last band moves throigh it will be over.. Thats what Jason boyer just said lol

What?!?  And yet the local media continue to defy logic. The HRRR is freely available as are all NCEP models. What is he smoking?  He was so badly wrong yesterday guess he’s going 0 for 2. 

What a day for this guy. I literally had about 20 flakes. I’ve never seen such a sharp cutoff to the precip. It literally evaporated every time something tried to get going here. Only hope is that the moisture over AL overperforms for me. Happy for you guys at least, but man what a disappointment. 

3 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Has really been coming down the last hour. Making the best of the radar returns. I'm fairness to Jason, he did say Asheville could have several more inches on the 10:00 news.

And he ate a big plate of crow on the 6 broadcast. He had a picture of an ostrich with its head in the sand, saying that's what he felt like.

So, I'm still not missing Bod Caldwell. :D

10 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

I'm not overly impressed but the HRRR is insistent on picking things up around 4AM or so. I guess we'll see. It's showing a lot more out there currently than there really is.

The band that will form is the same band that will deliver snow up into the northeast tomorrow. All of the short range models are showing it. HRRR isn't by itself 

The band that will form is the same band that will deliver snow up into the northeast tomorrow. All of the short range models are showing it. HRRR isn't by itself 

Yeah. Even the globals have it I believe. Just interested to see how strong it actually is. Per the HRRR it's been snowing here for a while and we haven't seen anything outside heavy flurries the past few hours.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Buddy1987 said:

What a day for this guy. I literally had about 20 flakes. I’ve never seen such a sharp cutoff to the precip. It literally evaporated every time something tried to get going here. Only hope is that the moisture over AL overperforms for me. Happy for you guys at least, but man what a disappointment. 

For a grand total of 9 hours I watched as consistent snowfall above me sublimated over me, thus far I have not seen a single flake yet 20 miles to the south a thin blanket covers the ground. For days I had not expected anything with the off chance in the back of my mind a mountain flurry or two may swing by. To watch the models take the sudden shift west was too good to be true. For some however it did end rather well for the unfavorable climo areas of the east TN valley. The way I see it the next 3 hours will determine if we get another opportunity to get some flakes on the ground. Watch the radar closely and look for back building northwestward.

It's coming down again and banding to our South looks great! Grab your cup of coffee and get ready for a couple more inches! Saw a flash a few minutes ago, but didn't hear thunder so it might have been a power flash, better there have been many reports on my FB page of Thundersnow in the area.

5 minutes ago, Hvward said:

It's coming down again and banding to our South looks great! Grab your cup of coffee and get ready for a couple more inches! Saw a flash a few minutes ago, but didn't hear thunder so it might have been a power flash, better there have been many reports on my FB page of Thundersnow in the area.

Coffee is brewing now. Hoping we can squeeze out 2 more inches. 

45 minutes ago, Hvward said:

Hoping to cash in some this morning as the kids get up. Not much overnight down here. 

Archived