Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, HurricaneTracker said:

Anyone concerned about power outages? With even half of the GFS or NAM forecast, issues will creep up fast given the nature of this storm and moisture content. 

I was thinking this will be a heavy wet snow. You can hear it laying already with the wet content of the flakes. Power may be a big issue tonight especially If we see some big totals. 

11 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Anyone concerned about power outages? With even half of the GFS or NAM forecast, issues will creep up fast given the nature of this storm and moisture content. 

I thought the same thing. It will probably take less than you would think. I have seen power outages at 4 inches of snow if the snow is wet enough.

Nws only going with 2-4 for boone. Have to think after the latest guidance we're looking at a bit more. Good luck to everyone!

Blacksburg has been way behind the 8ball (as usual) with this one. When I went to bed they were still showing "nope, nothing to see here" in the grids.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Most people will be waking up to a surprise since 12 hours ago gsp wasn't too concerned about accumulations. 

11 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

Most people will be waking up to a surprise since 12 hours ago gsp wasn't too concerned about accumulations. 

This was what I encountered last night.  Out shopping in Asheville looking for snow boots for my boys.  Of course not a single store had any, and when I asked, they all looked at me like I was crazy or something.  One customer said she didn't think we'd get more than a dusting!  News alert to her - it's only 5:55am and I already have a dusting with still 23 hours of snow left to go!  Nobody in AVL is expecting this snowstorm.

5 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

This was what I encountered last night.  Out shopping in Asheville looking for snow boots for my boys.  Of course not a single store had any, and when I asked, they all looked at me like I was crazy or something.  One customer said she didn't think we'd get more than a dusting!  News alert to her - it's only 5:55am and I already have a dusting with still 23 hours of snow left to go!  Nobody in AVL is expecting this snowstorm.

Pretty much the same here. Local radio was talking snow showers . 

Archived