SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was up in the hills still, I would be pretty happy with this disco from GSP!

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH FRIDAY/...
As of 500 PM EST Thursday: New guidance trickling in continues to
trend cooler and wetter, and while the NAM remains a cold/wet
outlier, other 18z data shifting that direction lends confidence to
a slight uptick in snowfall amounts. Will continue to be a battle
between the cold air vs. moisture as is typically the case, but with
the moisture expected to now make it farther into the mountains, the
prudent course of action was to go ahead and hoist a Winter Weather
Advisory for the upslope areas of the SW mountains, including the
GA/SC mountains. Because NC`s advisory criterion is 2" in 12h and we
have that over the South Mountains in Cleveland/Burke/Rutherford
Counties, included those areas, but most locations <1500ft will be
hard pressed to see anything more than a trace/dusting at this time
(uh, with the current forecast that is - if the trends continue that
may be pushed up as well). Concern is that in the prime overlap area
of the SC mountains (QPF and temps), current forecast is getting
close to warning criteria. Will continue to watch trends through the
evening and especially with the overnight forecast.

5 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

I’m stunned. Amazing agreement. This is going to catch a few off guard!  Boyer...

What are your thoughts with the trajectory of the precipitation for the northern mountains? I know the southern mountains will cash in great with this storm but others have mentioned the trajectory of the moisture could be problematic for us further north.

thanks

Just now, NC_WX10 said:

What are your thoughts with the trajectory of the precipitation for the northern mountains? I know the southern mountains will cash in great with this storm but others have mentioned the trajectory of the moisture could be problematic for us further north.

thanks

The overall system will favor a southwest fetch of moisture. So I do expect northern mountains to see much less than southern areas. You’ll have to wait for upslope snows Saturday night for better accumulations. 

Make no mistake though, all mountain areas should see snow by Saturday evening!

2 minutes ago, HurricaneTracker said:

The overall system will favor a southwest fetch of moisture. So I do expect northern mountains to see much less than southern areas. You’ll have to wait for upslope snows Saturday night for better accumulations. 

Make no mistake though, all mountain areas should see snow by Saturday evening!

Okay thanks for the information!

First time for everything.

After several days and even more so the latest model runs, everyone of them from Global,short range hi res, to ensembles painting 3 to 4 plus inches of snow across my county/ Triad. I'm very suprised to be seeing nothing advisory,watch or warning mentioned by the NWS. Just a HWO. 

I get the conservative approach with the BL issues and if honest would be hedging in that direction. Just thought it was interesting seeing what I've seen and less than 12 to 15 hours from start time, the NWS takes a pass on an advisory. Yes asphalt and ground are warm. But rates will trump a warm ground anytime anywhere. And .5 plus qpf if wet snow will get you the rates to whiten things up. Not arguing,calling out etc. Just suprised by their aporoach. 

Yea the NAM wasn't a move in the right direction. Maybe the gfs, euro etc. will hold serve or counter the NAM with a move nw. Nowcasting at this point. Read something the other day about the atmospheric set-up being really good for the mtns, and that the models might be undergoing some of the extent of the precipitation on the west side. Maybe that's still in the school of thought. :wacko2:

7 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the school situation in WNC? Seems the main show won't get started in the AM. Could be a bad situation if people aren't prepared. 

Counties will begin to make the call shortly after 4am. Most buses start up between 4:50-5:30am. Therefore, If calling school, most counties need to jump on it soon. This is a wake and check the radar kind of morning versus a how are the road look, IMO. 

Tyler I'm heading up to Boone in the a.m., through Sunday a.m.

What time you think precip starts up that way and how good of job do they do with 421. Not big on riding 3 miles downhill on ice. Going uphill no biggie, 4wd

Hopefully around 9 or so. They do fantastic with the roads up here. I honestly don't see the main roads being problematic until overnight Saturday and they'll be good by Sunday morning.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, strongwxnc said:

Counties will begin to make the call shortly after 4am. Most buses start up between 4:50-5:30am. Therefore, If calling school, most counties need to jump on it soon. This is a wake and check the radar kind of morning versus a how are the road look, IMO. 

Thanks for the insight. 

Yeah, definitely a radar situation. I just hope most schools have enough sense to call it off when something is clearly coming our way. 

EDIT: Glad to see the NWS make a call. Should hopefully raise awareness. 

Archived