Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

I've never made a call map but there's a first time for everything! This is southern mountain upslope special!

snow map - december.png

Not bad. If the storm comes in as progged now some places in the prime upslope areas and elevation like Mt Mitchell may get over 10 inches

1 minute ago, HurricaneTracker said:

Well, NWS GSP forecast discussion is even more conservative on their snowfall totals than I was.  AVL maybe an inch?  2" in Hendersonville?  And NO ADVISORIES NEEDED anywhere.

If the 18Z NAM verifies...someone's gonna be in trouble.

Not just the NAM but EURO and GFS too..

8 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

WLOS and GSP is pretty much saying this is a non-event?? Strange..but seems to me GSP is usually pretty accurate with these type events

Not to bash them (full respect for mets) but as far as for GA they're hardly accurate EVER. They've been caught behind the 8-ball with numerous smaller events the last few years, including a couple minor ice events in NE GA. They're the new FFC IMO: too conservative sometimes.

I have nothing but respect for GSP.....smh...But i can think of several storms especially last january i dint even get a winter storm watch! Dint get a warning till it was pouring snow. Its a hard forecast up in these mtns. Tbh its almost now cast time. Idk if im even guna bother with any more models other than my local radar.

2 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Bout to head home to hickory here in a few hours. NAM/GFS are pretty much lined up on top of each other now. Looking forward to a western NC snowstorm. Let's hope it doesn't bust  lol.

I guess that's a good sign for us, then.  Welcome back, HKY_WX!  I hope you bring the good luck with you.

27 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

What are you guys thinking for timing? I know that the best precip looks to take shape late afternoon-evening, but I’ve seen some information suggesting light snow as early as pre dawn. Any insight? 

Up here I don't expect much til 8-10AM. 7-9AM for where I write forecasts down in GA.

Archived